daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2014, 01:11 AM   #10601
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Very beautiful. That's not E65 though.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2014, 01:20 AM   #10602
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

It's not, did I say it is?
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2014, 01:23 AM   #10603
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

No, a sign says so.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2014, 01:26 AM   #10604
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Ah, yes, I also wondered why it's signed E65...
Old June 17th, 2014, 09:24 AM   #10605
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Were they incredibly relaxed at Kobila? When I went there, they were sitting around, drinking coffee and joking with me and my wife. The Croatians on the other hand were just chilling out - who wouldn't with such a view?

I always found the difference in attitude between Vitaljina and Karasovici to be incredible.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2014, 09:51 AM   #10606
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

The Croats were very relaxed, we didn't need more then 20 seconds to pass. The Montenegrin was also in a good mood. He quickly checked our trunk and our documents, but we didn't stay long there.
Old June 17th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #10607
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

When I was there last year, (from MNE to HR), the Montenegron police was very relaxed, but when he found out I spoke the local language(s) he became even more relaxed. I was almost expecting an invitation for a drink

Kanadzie liked this post
Palance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2014, 03:56 PM   #10608
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
When I was there last year, (from MNE to HR), the Montenegron police was very relaxed, but when he found out I spoke the local language(s) he became even more relaxed. I was almost expecting an invitation for a drink
Reminds me myself at SRB-HU border check. Tried to start a small talk in Hungarian (like jónapót, hazamegyek) with the officer He was such happy to hear me speaking Hungarian that he asked me something I had no clue about Then I told him I can't speak hungarian

His facial expression was like:

cinxxx, Palance, AsHalt liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2014, 08:42 PM   #10609
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
I guess the location encourages their good mood

We were laughing with them about the similarities between Polish and their language, and we must have stayed at the checkpoint for about 15 minutes just because the conversation was interesting and we weren't in a hurry. No other cars turned up, so no wonder they were so relaxed with such an easy job.

cinxxx, Kanadzie, AsHalt liked this post
Old June 17th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #10610
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
As I understand it, the original idea for the Channel Tunnel is that it would have been genuinely turn up and go. For example - the check-in booths at Folkestone and Calais were originally called toll booths, and they were designed (from what I remember...) very similarly to the average French toll booth, even down to having displays to show the price and type of vehicle.

The infrastructure in Folkestone and Calais shows this - I can't explain it well, but when you drive down the ramps to the train - http://cdn.carthrottle.com/wp-conten...Eurotunnel.jpg - you can see that there are many, many ramps down to the loading areas. As far as I know, the original intention was for this marshalling area to be very busy indeed.

The whole area in Folkestone and Calais is very much a tribute to what could have been.
Was the original idea that it would completely replace the ferries, like the Aust ferry to Wales which ended the day the Severn Bridge opened? Could it even handle the amount of traffic the ferries take? It is a seriously busy crossing, bearing in mind that on top of Dover Calais, there is Dover-Dunkirk and Newhaven-Dieppe is not that far away.

I always wondered if anybody has considered another terminal, further up the M20 or even the other side of London, just single level to fit European loading gauge to take some traffic off the M20. HS1 is quite underused so this could in theory be possible.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2014, 12:27 AM   #10611
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
Was the original idea that it would completely replace the ferries, like the Aust ferry to Wales which ended the day the Severn Bridge opened? Could it even handle the amount of traffic the ferries take? It is a seriously busy crossing, bearing in mind that on top of Dover Calais, there is Dover-Dunkirk and Newhaven-Dieppe is not that far away.
I don't think there was ever such an idea.
It was more about having faster, less weather dependent option for crossing the Channel. Also keeping ferries and tunnel competing keep prices in check.

Quote:
I always wondered if anybody has considered another terminal, further up the M20 or even the other side of London, just single level to fit European loading gauge to take some traffic off the M20. HS1 is quite underused so this could in theory be possible.
What for? Longer journey on a a train means higher cost and less slots for lucrative high speed trains. After opening access to the tunnel to companies like Deutche Bahn number of passenger trains will surely increase.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #10612
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
Was the original idea that it would completely replace the ferries, like the Aust ferry to Wales which ended the day the Severn Bridge opened?
I think the original thinking was that it would probably destroy the business case for the tourist market on the ferries, and to a certain extent, they've succeeded. I'm not so convinced that they were ever really that interested in the freight market - the facilities for freight are shockingly poor compared to the ferries, and they don't really seem to show much interest in trying to win that business.

Quote:
Could it even handle the amount of traffic the ferries take? It is a seriously busy crossing, bearing in mind that on top of Dover Calais, there is Dover-Dunkirk and Newhaven-Dieppe is not that far away.
Newhaven-Dieppe is dying - Newhaven Harbour can't accommodate the size of ships needed to make it commercially work, and the local government in Dieppe keep threatening to pull the plug.

With Dover-Dunkirk/Calais, it could easily absorb the tourist traffic without any pain. Freight traffic, maybe not - the new P&O ships really eat up a huge amount of freight on every crossing. But I think that the future of that crossing is with a single company operating Dover-Calais vs Eurotunnel - there's no way DFDS, P&O and MyFerryLink can all survive in that market.

I suspect that if the security and frontier checks were dropped, usage would go through the roof.

Quote:
I guess the problem is that it will always be cheaper to drive than to take the train.
Old June 19th, 2014, 09:38 PM   #10613
geogregor

BTW, here is place where all the spoil from the tunnel was dumped:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samphire_Hoe_Country_Park
http://www.samphirehoe.co.uk/

Entering via single lane tunnel:

Old June 19th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #10614
geogregor

Folkstone in the distance:

Massive seawall keeps everything in place

Exiting via single lane tunnel again

Sorry for doing a bit of OT (as it is not part of the border crossing) but I hope you will forgive me a bit of geeky stuff on this forum
Old June 19th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #10615
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

We were just talking border crossings on the Canada thread....

(But I didn't start it. )

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 11:21 PM   #10616
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Reminds me myself at SRB-HU border check. Tried to start a small talk in Hungarian (like jónapót, hazamegyek) with the officer He was such happy to hear me speaking Hungarian that he asked me something I had no clue about Then I told him I can't speak hungarian
i had similar situation i was driving my sister to airport in Budapest to catch early flight. so, middle of the night, small border crossing (Gola - Berzence), officers are quite surprised to see a car there. just like you, i said jó estét kivánok, he responded me something in hungrian, and i made relaxed face as i understood everything and said "Ferihegy". his response was: "aaa, Ferihegy!", thanked in hungarian and probably wished me nice trip

cinxxx, Kanadzie liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 11:36 PM   #10617
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17485

$ 100 millions for second bridge between Brasil and Paraguay:

Quote:
Dnit divulga empresa que construirá nova ponte entre Brasil e Paraguai
Construtora vai cobrar R$ 233,3 milhões pela obra, em Foz do Iguaçu.
Nova ponte será do tipo estaiada e deve ficar pronta em 2017.

Foi divulgado na tarde desta quinta-feira (24) o resultado da licitação que escolheu a empresa que construirá a segunda ponte internacional entre o Brasil e o Paraguai, em Foz do Iguaçu, no oeste do Paraná. Duas construtoras participaram do processo, realizado em Brasília, no Distrito Federal. Segundo o Departamento Nacional de Infraestrutura de Transporte (Dnit), a proposta vencedora foi a do Consórcio Construbase/Cidade/Paulitec, que cobrará R$ 233.375.000,00 para executar a obra.

A segunda participante, a Empresa Sul Americana de Montagens S.A., cobraria 232.300.000,00. Mesmo cobrando valor menor, a construtora perdeu por obter notas mais baixas nos quesitos técnicos avaliados pelo Dnit. As duas empresas têm até o dia 2 de maio para entrarem com recursos e, caso necessário, até 9 de maio para apresentarem defesa. Só então o contrato será assinado com a vencedora.
http://g1.globo.com/pr/oeste-sudoest...-paraguai.html
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #10618
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i had similar situation i was driving my sister to airport in Budapest to catch early flight. so, middle of the night, small border crossing (Gola - Berzence), officers are quite surprised to see a car there. just like you, i said jó estét kivánok, he responded me something in hungrian, and i made relaxed face as i understood everything and said "Ferihegy". his response was: "aaa, Ferihegy!", thanked in hungarian and probably wished me nice trip
Um, What's Ferihegy?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 11:42 PM   #10619
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

The name of Budapest's airport
Old June 19th, 2014, 11:54 PM   #10620
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3990

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
The name of Budapest's airport
It's renamed to "Ferenc Liszt" recently.
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways