daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 29th, 2014, 12:56 AM   #10681
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16173

Well here if you borrow a car from someone else you also must take the registration. Without it you can have problems, but if you have the registration card on you then it's OK if you get stopped by traffic police. Keeping the registration card in car is considered very reckless.

Of course at some point you will report it but by that time your car is either disassembled or they've made a fake registration.

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2014, 09:23 AM   #10682
MattiG

Likes (Received): 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
Not a good idea if the car gets stolen.
It depends on how the system works.

The registration certificate in Finland comes in two parts. The part 1 is a techical one, displays the technical data of the vehicle, and it is a proof of passing the periodic inspection. The part 2 is the proof of ownership. The part 1 must be kept in the vehichle while driving. It is absolutely safe to store it in the glove box and about everyone does that. The part 2 should be kept in a safe place at home.

The part 1 needs to be touched at the periodic inspection, and if a policeman asks for it. No inconvenience involved.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #10683
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post

The registration certificate in Finland comes in two parts. The part 1 is a techical one, displays the technical data of the vehicle, and it is a proof of passing the periodic inspection. The part 2 is the proof of ownership. The part 1 must be kept in the vehichle while driving. It is absolutely safe to store it in the glove box and about everyone does that. The part 2 should be kept in a safe place at home.

The part 1 needs to be touched at the periodic inspection, and if a policeman asks for it. No inconvenience involved.
The same here, although three systems are valid at the same time. Oldest cars have registration card you have too keep with you. Newer cars have the registration document, which is very unpleasant to keep (but it is a must) and the newest cars have the same system as you, but since it has size of a credit car, i keep it in my vallet in the same plastic cover as my driving licence.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 12:01 PM   #10684
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Border crossings?

Verso liked this post
Palance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #10685
broken0099

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I liked the EU format with the country flag better than the EU format with the EU stars.

I've never liked the blue band. I think it would've been much better to keep the background colour (white or yellow), with the country code and the 12 stars in black -and maybe a thin vertical black line between the country code and the rest of the plate.
broken0099 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 02:04 PM   #10686
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
Border crossings?
Does anyone know how strict the controls were between EEC countries before 1993? I know the Benelux had open borders, but for instance, what about Germany-France?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 02:05 PM   #10687
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16173

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post

Yeah, the part 1 in Serbia is a windshield sticker.

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 02:31 PM   #10688
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
Keeping the registration card in car is considered very reckless.
Depends on the system. Germans came up with a clever idea of having two copies of the document, one to show to the cops (keep it in the car), and the other is the actual title, which you obviously keep at home.

So a car stolen with the traditional small document isn't worth much to the thieve.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 02:36 PM   #10689
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Does anyone know how strict the controls were between EEC countries before 1993? I know the Benelux had open borders, but for instance, what about Germany-France?
Germany<->France and Germany<->Austria were checked randomly, like go-go-go-check, every third or fifth car. Also depended on the day, and the time of the day.

All in all it was too risky to smuggle anything big like 10 times the allowed number of cigarettes or amount of alcohol, but I've met people who had no passport dare to go across the border this way (and get caught, and NOT get expelled).

Also my mother as a teenager "smuggled" coffee from Belgium to France, as a part of her ammends. "Girl, you don't go through the crossing, but turn left before, go along the river, there's a small bridge, you'll be in that town" -> obviously this was neither unusual for the locals, nor dangerous.

So I guess you could compare it to US-Canada border before Bush.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 02:39 PM   #10690
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
Border crossings?
Cross one and tell us about it!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #10691
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
It wasn't closed, but you couldn't enter Albania just like that, let alone by car. You had to call a taxi cab to pick you up at the border and take you where you wanted to go. At least that's what I read in a book written by a Yugoslav journalist. Unfortunately my mom lent it to someone and never got it back.
I think it was possible at least for Western tourists to enter Albania, since I read that ferries run regularily between Trieste and Durres since 1983.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #10692
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I think it was possible at least for Western tourists to enter Albania, since I read that ferries run regularily between Trieste and Durres since 1983.
I've read it was well possible to enter as tourist or for business, but full beards were not allowed at entry (since the Hoxha regime declared Albania the first atheist state in the world in the 1960's, and beards were considered "Muslim").
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #10693
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
My parents were stopped for one hour check. Thet were waiting weird's plate cars and just looking for food as officers said...

The most strange thing is it was a goods control to quit Germany, nothing to enter in France

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #10694
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

The last of pictures from my Balkan trip...

Macedonia-Serbia border crossing at Tabanovce/Preševo

MK_A1 von cinxxx auf Flickr

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 05:02 PM   #10695
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Serbia-Romania border crossing at Vatin/Moraviţa

SRB_10 von cinxxx auf Flickr

RO_DN59 von cinxxx auf Flickr

Old June 29th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #10696
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
Germany<->France and Germany<->Austria were checked randomly, like go-go-go-check, every third or fifth car. Also depended on the day, and the time of the day.
Wow, I'm surprised that Germany-Austria was so light - especially as Austria wasn't in the EEC. Germany-France is more understandable, and I think the original idea for Schengen was probably more about formalising the existing arrangement than anything else.

Quote:
Also my mother as a teenager "smuggled" coffee from Belgium to France, as a part of her ammends. "Girl, you don't go through the crossing, but turn left before, go along the river, there's a small bridge, you'll be in that town" -> obviously this was neither unusual for the locals, nor dangerous.
I think that was pretty commonplace among "free" countries of Europe in general. Even these days, it seems that no-one is particularly bothered by illegal border crossings by locals in the Balkans for instance.

^ what's going on with that fence between Romania and Serbia?
Old June 29th, 2014, 06:13 PM   #10697
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post

Sign on the left: "Kompas (tourist agency) offers complete services for exit out of Yugoslavia".

Palance liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 06:20 PM   #10698
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

what are orange Dacias doing at both sides of border?

cinxxx liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 06:39 PM   #10699
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

You both have very keen eyes
Old June 29th, 2014, 07:16 PM   #10700
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Sign on the left: "Kompas (tourist agency) offers complete services for exit out of Yugoslavia".
I recognise that name... isn't it the name of the company at the Sentilj border crossing, at the petrol station/restaurant just after the border crossing?

I'm guessing the "services offered" had something to do with the compulsory 'deposit' that Yugoslavians had to make when leaving the country in the 80's?

Tags
highways, motorways