daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 29th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #10701
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
I recognise that name... isn't it the name of the company at the Sentilj border crossing, at the petrol station/restaurant just after the border crossing?
The seat of Kompas is in Ljubljana.

Quote:
I'm guessing the "services offered" had something to do with the compulsory 'deposit' that Yugoslavians had to make when leaving the country in the 80's?
We did? I don't know anything about that.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #10702
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
The seat of Kompas is in Ljubljana.
Does it originate from Yugoslavian times?

Quote:
We did? I don't know anything about that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy...the_Oil_Crisis

I found a detailed description somewhere of how it worked, but I can't find it now, maybe it's in one of my books about Yugoslavia. That's why I wondered about "complete services".

But thinking about it more, it's possible that the insane economic policies of FR Yugoslavia might have meant that tourists were obliged to do more than just deposit money when crossing the border.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #10703
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

The viewpoint of that article is amusing, it complains about how bad the hyperinflation was, but then again about the "IMF's tight monetary policy" after
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 10:04 PM   #10704
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
The viewpoint of that article is amusing, it complains about how bad the hyperinflation was, but then again about the "IMF's tight monetary policy" after
Don't forget that the tight monetary policy meant that the revenue from the border crossings in Slovenia became incredibly important to Yugoslavia - it was one of their major sources of physical cash. It's why Slovenia took control of the borders very quickly, and why the Federal government attacked some of them to try and force a Slovenian withdrawal.

The huge amount of traffic through Sentilj alone shows you how much cash they would have raised at the border.
Old June 29th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #10705
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Does it originate from Yugoslavian times?
Yes, it was founded in 1951 as Putnik Slovenija and renamed into Kompas in 1959 (don't ask me why "Putnik" (traveller) was in Serbo-Croatian; in Slovenian it's "potnik").

http://www.kompas.si/info.asp?it=0#K...VINA%20KOMPASA

Last edited by Verso; June 29th, 2014 at 10:58 PM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 11:00 PM   #10706
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3990

Quote:
Yes, it was founded in 1951 as Putnik Slovenija and renamed into Kompas in 1959 (don't ask me why "Putnik" (traveller) was in Serbo-Croatian; in Slovenian it's "potnik").

Maybe Kompas had some relations with Putnik (founded in 1923 in Belgrade)?

Verso liked this post
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 11:38 PM   #10707
Eulanthe

Quote:

Probably the usual language politics at play

I'm wondering if that sign above isn't a strange way of saying "duty free shop".
Old June 30th, 2014, 12:18 AM   #10708
lastsamurai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4176

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I think it was possible at least for Western tourists to enter Albania, since I read that ferries run regularily between Trieste and Durres since 1983.
Only after death of Enver Hoxha in 1985 things started to change and the country was opening to the world,before that?.No chance.If a french or italian would have been allowed to enter due to purpose of making a documentary about how 'good' and 'perfect' life was in Albania..he was observed every minute to stop him contacting anykind of albanian citizen as imperialistic ideas would infect people minds.

lastsamurai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 01:06 AM   #10709
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:

don't worry, we still have (quite famous) bus company Brioni d.d. (instead of Croatian term Brijuni)
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:03 AM   #10710
Quilavoce
BANNED

Quote:

Potnik in Bulgarian is tank top.
Quilavoce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 06:51 PM   #10711
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16174

Serbia and Hungary agreed to open crossings every 20kms instead of the current 55kms.

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!

nbcee liked this post
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 06:58 PM   #10712
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
Serbia and Hungary agreed to open crossings every 20kms instead of the current 55kms.
It would be better if they had an agreement with Romania because there are only few permanent crossings, some of them far away from each other.

cinxxx liked this post
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 09:59 PM   #10713
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
See, if those guys can do it, why can't Slovenia and Croatia open up the local border crossings as intrastate crossings?

Croatia really could do with opening up a few more border crossings with Bosnia too for EU traffic - there's really no need to restrict them.
Old July 1st, 2014, 10:04 PM   #10714
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

I would not like to cut it, but do not know where to fit another issue: mandatory equipment.

What is the situation nowadays? Am I supposed to have equipped car by tools according to the country the vehicle is registered in, or according to the country I am driving through?

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 10:25 PM   #10715
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

According the country you are driving on.

Some years ago we made a list. We could make a new one...

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 10:26 PM   #10716
Kanadzie

it should be according to country car is registered in, but who knows what kind of crazy laws. At least one obvious thing the EU could harmonize and nobody would complain
Old July 1st, 2014, 10:30 PM   #10717
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
it should be according to country car is registered in, but who knows what kind of crazy laws. At least one obvious thing the EU could harmonize and nobody would complain
EU rather harmonizes the radius of bananas instead of this. I have tried to find out some information, but have not been successful

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 10:40 PM   #10718
Kanadzie

FWIW, in North America it is always according to the place the car is registered, but there are not many special requirements. Only things like requirement for winter tires (Quebec) or illegality of studded winter tires (Ontario, some other places). Studded tires are illegal in Ontario but if you have Quebec license plates you can use them as much as you like
Old July 1st, 2014, 10:47 PM   #10719
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
i don't think so. i read many articles about those mandatory straws for alcochol testers in France (and nowhere else)
Old July 1st, 2014, 10:47 PM   #10720
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
According the country you are driving on.

Some years ago we made a list. We could make a new one...
Officially, according to the Vienna Convention, it's according to the place of registration. The success of arguing this depends on the country - easy in Germany or Austria, but perhaps not so in Serbia or Bosnia...

Having said that, a friend was once busted in Austria for not having the correct equipment according to Austrian law. He pointed out that he was only required to have what Poland required - at that point, they smiled at him. He was all "yeaaah, so what are you gonna do?" - only to discover that they had a book with the requirements of each country. They then busted him for having an expired fire extinguisher. He was speechless - but then, he wisely asked them which Austrian law he was breaking by not having a fire extinguisher. The police checked their book of driving laws, and realised that apparently, it wasn't actually an offence not to carry something that wasn't required under Austrian law.

In the end, they agreed that rather than go to the hassle of waiting for an expert opinion from their headquarters, he would park up for an hour as a punishment and then he could go. Seemed fair to me

Last edited by Eulanthe; July 1st, 2014 at 10:57 PM.

Tags
highways, motorways