daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2014, 11:08 PM   #10721
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 14026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
Serbia and Hungary agreed to open crossings every 20kms instead of the current 55kms.
Yes! It will be much easier to get pljeskavica burgers

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM

cinxxx, Singidunum, Zagor666 liked this post
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2014, 11:23 PM   #10722
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
See, if those guys can do it, why can't Slovenia and Croatia open up the local border crossings as intrastate crossings?
I don't really miss any more border crossings with Croatia, I only find it stupid that there's not a single international or interstate border crossing over Gorjanci/Žumberak.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 12:20 AM   #10723
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I don't really miss any more border crossings with Croatia, I only find it stupid that there's not a single international or interstate border crossing over Gorjanci/Žumberak.
There are some places where it really wouldn't hurt them to at least open up some tourist crossings, like here -

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hu...7a9b7ffb71939e

or here - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hu...7a9b7ffb71939e

The situation on the Slovenian/Croatian border is quite interesting, because in Poland between 2004-2007, it was quite common to see local border crossings completely unguarded.

Last edited by Eulanthe; July 2nd, 2014 at 12:30 AM.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 12:34 AM   #10724
Verso
Islander

What's the point of a bridge, if you can't use it?
Old July 2nd, 2014, 12:46 AM   #10725
Eulanthe

Quote:
What's the point of a bridge, if you can't use it?
I have no idea. I mean, I haven't seen a single patrol by the Croatian or Slovenian police, so I'm guessing that the reality on the ground is that it can be used freely.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:15 AM   #10726
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:

Do other EU countries have border crossings for locals only anyway?
Old July 2nd, 2014, 12:13 PM   #10727
amrapaliinfracon
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Wagah border between India & Pakistan.
amrapaliinfracon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 12:50 PM   #10728
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
There were quite a lot between Germany and Czech Republic before CZ joining Schengen.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 02:20 PM   #10729
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
There were quite a lot between Germany and Czech Republic before CZ joining Schengen.
Also between Italy and Slovenia and Italy and Switzerland, before Schengen.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 02:50 PM   #10730
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
For that matter, weren't certain checkpoints along the Berlin Wall reserved for people from certain places? (Here if you're from West Berlin, there if you're from the rest of West Germany, another place if you're from someplace else...nowhere at all if you were from the Eastern bloc?)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

darko06 liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 04:22 PM   #10731
Eulanthe

Quote:
They were all open to locals and EU citizens, as far as I remember. I don't think any of them had any restriction on movement too, unlike the SLO/HR ones.

I don't know about pre-2004, but in the 2004-2007 period, there were plenty of crossings between PL/CZ and D/CZ that were more or less controlled on a random basis. It seems to have been pretty common for crossings such as Mala Czermna/Cermna to only be controlled on an irregular basis.

One of the mysteries of pre-Schengen PL/CZ border crossings is why there was a border crossing at the Slaskie Dom, but no actual crossing on top of Sniezka/Snezka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods
For that matter, weren't certain checkpoints along the Berlin Wall reserved for people from certain places? (Here if you're from West Berlin, there if you're from the rest of West Germany, another place if you're from someplace else...nowhere at all if you were from the Eastern bloc?)
Yes, checkpoints were open for different travellers depending on their citizenship.

It's worth pointing out that there were checkpoints open for those from the Eastern bloc too provided they had the right documentation.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 04:53 PM   #10732
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Speaking of it, here's the only local border crossing Planina v Podbočju/Novo Selo Žumberačko:

http://www.policija.si/index.php/com...hengenski-meji

Croatian side

Zagor666 liked this post
Old July 2nd, 2014, 11:29 PM   #10733
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Finland has some temporary crossing points with Russia. The use of those points requires a special permit (in addition to the visa which is required anyway, in either direction).

Mostly used by forest industry in areas where the official crossing points may be up to hundreds of kilometres away. North of Ilomantsi the border area is virtually unpopulated anyway.

EDIT: or were we talking about border crossings between EU countries? As most EU countries are Schengen members, and Cyprus, Ireland and UK are island states (with Ireland and UK having an agreement of their own), this question could only be relevant to Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania.

Last edited by OulaL; July 2nd, 2014 at 11:53 PM.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 02:17 AM   #10734
Verso
Islander

Just another boring inner EU "border": Croatian territory occupied by the Slovenian Army.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/26706577

AsHalt, Moravian liked this post
Old July 3rd, 2014, 08:05 AM   #10735
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Finland has some temporary crossing points with Russia. The use of those points requires a special permit (in addition to the visa which is required anyway, in either direction).
There are six of those currently, and they are for Finnish and Russian citizens only. The Parikkala crossing point is the only open in a regular basis and it has some importance for tourism. There are plans to change its status to a normal international border station, but the schedule is open.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 11:54 PM   #10736
zsimi80
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 553

Quote:
Just another boring inner EU "border": Croatian territory occupied by the Slovenian Army.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/26706577
Why? When? How? Where?

zsimi80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 11:59 PM   #10737
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 14026

Quote:
Probably the best one of those was at a small lookout tower of Írottkő/Geschriebenstein on the Hungarian-Austrian border. I've been there a few times and they let us go up the tower without even checking our IDs - and that was before we joined the EU (not to mention the Schengen area).

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM

cinxxx, volodaaaa, Moravian liked this post
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 12:53 AM   #10738
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsimi80 View Post
Why? When? How? Where?
Where: click the link under the photo. Why, when and how: in 1991 the Yugoslav People's Army left the building and we quickly seized it. (although that was in accordance with Croatia then)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatia..._on_Sveta_Gera
Old July 5th, 2014, 04:00 AM   #10739
erxgli

Likes (Received): 17

Syria-Turkey international border

A Turkish soldier faces a group of Syrians on the Syria-Turkey border.

volodaaaa, Moravian liked this post
erxgli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #10740
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Glanced in twitter

Police Nationale ‏@PNationale 22 h
30 #policiers allemands, belges, espagnols ds les villes frontalières de France @policia http://bit.ly/1rsRYit #Sécurité #Coopération #été

and the link

Quote:
Les commissariats européens au sein des services de la sécurité publique

Au cours de l’année 2014, 13 commissariats européens seront mis en place par la direction centrale de la sécurité publique, en lien avec la direction de la coopération internationale (D.C.I.)

Il étaient présents au Touquet (Enduropale), à Chessy (saison touristique en été), à Nîmes (Feria de la Pentecôte et Feria des Vendanges), à Carcassonne, à Avignon, à Bordeaux-Arcachon, à Marseille, à Lille (grande braderie) ainsi qu’au sein du dispositif policier encadrant le Tour de France.
Nouveauté pour cette saison, un commissariat européen est implanté dans le département du Calvados à l'occasion des jeux équestres mondiaux (18 août- 9 septembre 2014).
Une trentaine de policiers européens, de nationalité allemande, espagnole et belge, sera présente avec leurs homologues français pour contribuer à la sécurisation des villes.
Ces policiers participeront à des patrouilles communes en étant revêtus de leur tenue nationale d’uniforme aux côtés de leurs collègues de la sécurité publique.
En plus des sites implantés en France, et sur la base du même modèle, 7 policiers français se rendront en Espagne et 2 policiers français se rendront en Allemagne.
Ils ont été créés pendant l’été 2008, à l’initiative de la présidence française de l’Union européenne, qui s’était fixée comme priorité de renforcer la coopération opérationnelle entre les États membres afin de lutter plus efficacement contre la criminalité et ainsi participer à la consolidation de l’Union européenne comme espace de justice, de liberté et de sécurité.
Les commissariats européens symbolisent une nouvelle forme de coopération européenne entre les policiers de terrain.
Press release at http://www.police-nationale.interieu...urite-publique

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways