daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 5th, 2014, 12:53 PM   #10741
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

A small question to our Slovenian/Croatian posters on here - can one of you find out if it's possible for locals living near the border to get a pass that allows them to cross the border at any point?

I've got a feeling that the locals in Bregana/Obrežje have one that allows them to cross at the bridge in the village rather than at the border crossing.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #10742
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

What should I enter in Google?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2014, 11:27 PM   #10743
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Camedo (CH) -> Ribellasca (I) road crossing photographed from train running parallel to it.
July 2014

1. Swiss customs booths

2. Road bridge between the two countries (over Ri degli Orti if I interpret it right from google)

3. Italian customs house, difficult to take photo b/c of full vegetation plus there is some reflection on the pic, like a ghost

4. Now it's definitely Italia

los77, Moravian, SRC_100 liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 12:20 PM   #10744
Vrachar

Likes (Received): 1627

Not exactly the border crossing, but border anyways.

CAN-USA (Boundary bay):

The border stone:

Facing USA:

Facing Canada:

los77, Moravian, SRC_100, broken0099, Verso and 4 others liked this post

Last edited by Vrachar; July 6th, 2014 at 12:32 PM.
Vrachar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 05:46 PM   #10745
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Who wants to live just beside the border?
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #10746
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 13995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_ View Post
Smugglers?

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM

Autobahn-mann liked this post
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 10:14 PM   #10747
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Why would a place just beside the border be any worse than any other place? At least when assuming two relatively friendly nations, such as USA and Canada?
Old July 6th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #10748
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Living close to a border can be beneficial. For example having the opportunity to purchase goods at lower prices across the border.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

SRC_100, Fab87 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #10749
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Note the difference:

USA-Mexico border

USA-Canada border
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Vrachar, Skyline_ liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2014, 12:28 AM   #10750
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Why would a place just beside the border be any worse than any other place? At least when assuming two relatively friendly nations, such as USA and Canada?
Because you are more exposed to illegal trespassing. You don't want illegal immigrants hiding in your backyard, for instance...
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2014, 12:49 AM   #10751
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Because you are more exposed to illegal trespassing. You don't want illegal immigrants hiding in your backyard, for instance...
Oh yes, those pesky illegal Canadian immigrants. Constantly saying sorry all the time!

keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2014, 12:52 AM   #10752
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Well, there are even some houses and a public library divided by the US-Canada border. In some rural areas it's possible to cross that border without being noticed, although it's technically illegal. It's not anything close to borders such USA-Mexico or Spain-Morocco, that are heavily guarded and you can be shot if you try to cross illegally.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2014, 12:59 AM   #10753
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2097

Ancient border marker (1823) between Savoy and France, at ~2300 m near Lac de Bellety (Vallée Etroite), now inside France.

g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2014, 02:45 AM   #10754
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Plenty of people do....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2014, 03:28 AM   #10755
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
A small question to our Slovenian/Croatian posters on here - can one of you find out if it's possible for locals living near the border to get a pass that allows them to cross the border at any point?

I've got a feeling that the locals in Bregana/Obre˛je have one that allows them to cross at the bridge in the village rather than at the border crossing.
Ok, I've found some info (it was very easy to find actually). I don't think they can cross the border at any point, but at certain points. However, only with legitimate reasons. Throw this into Google Translate.
Old July 7th, 2014, 09:40 AM   #10756
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Perfect, thank you!

I wondered because this fat Croatian border guard chased me away from an unofficial crossing in Bregana, but let some locals through without fuss. Apparently wanting to look at the border crossing wasn't allowed

I think this border pass explains why the police aren't really bothering to control the border away from official border crossings - there can't be many people hanging around the border in rural areas
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2014, 02:16 PM   #10757
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Apparently wanting to look at the border crossing wasn't allowed
You should be able to look at it as long as you don't cross the border. But yes, it's usually not a good idea to get too close.
Old July 8th, 2014, 11:47 PM   #10758
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
That's probably a Hellenic point of view, maybe you just haven't got your share of nice neighbours (no offence anyone...!) but I can only assume that U.S.Americans and Canadians don't see it this way.
Old July 9th, 2014, 12:18 AM   #10759
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
That's probably a Hellenic point of view, maybe you just haven't got your share of nice neighbours (no offence anyone...!) but I can only assume that U.S.Americans and Canadians don't see it this way.
Well, after the terrorist attacks of 9/11, the border to Canada was actually a subject of debates - as potential backdoor for Islamist terrorists wanting to sneak in ...
I have never crossed that border but heard from others that in the 1990's still, a simple driver's license was sufficient to pass - and things have gotten a lot stricter since.
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2014, 01:17 AM   #10760
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Well, after the terrorist attacks of 9/11, the border to Canada was actually a subject of debates - as potential backdoor for Islamist terrorists wanting to sneak in ...
I have never crossed that border but heard from others that in the 1990's still, a simple driver's license was sufficient to pass - and things have gotten a lot stricter since.
I heard this change was implemented quite quickly, meaning some people had to rush to get passports to cross when one was not needed before.

On the subject of locals-only border crossings, are there any NEXUS only crossings on the US-Canada border?
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways