daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 12th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #10801
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
And I wonder in what extend it is legal in Europe.
It's absolutely legal. What most people don't realise is that Schengen didn't abolish border controls, but in fact made it legal to carry out border controls anywhere in the entire zone. The border moved from the physical border line to the entire area, which is what makes Schengen work (combined with the hard outer border).

Having said that, Schengen does still retain the idiotic requirement to carry ID to cross the border.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #10802
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

^ Not just across the border. In the Netherlands you have to have ID on you at all times.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #10803
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post

Well, Rouen's reasonably close to a port of entry. (Is it one itself, actually?) But Orléans is nowhere near anything of that sort other than international airports. And if proximity to airports constitutes proximity to a border, there's not much that's off limits to customs and immigration checks.

Come to think of it, the suspect in the Brussels Jewish museum shooting who was arrested at Marseille (after having traveled the length of France)...was that customs or regular police? I know I heard they were looking for drugs and sort of lucked out by stumbling on him and his cache of guns....
Rouen isn't anywhere near a port of entry. Caen, Le Havre, Calais and Cherbourg are quite far away.
Old July 12th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #10804
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

I'd describe it as "reasonably close" to Le Havre. Certainly much less than the 100 miles that there was some talk of in that Arizona thing.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 08:42 PM   #10805
Road_UK
BANNED

Well, either way, at Rouen they are targeting traffic coming from Spain going anywhere else...
Old July 12th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #10806
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
^ Not just across the border. In the Netherlands you have to have ID on you at all times.
In Germany too.
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 09:00 PM   #10807
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Are the police allowed to stop anyone, anywhere, at any time, at random, or do they need a reason?

(This question is for anywhere in Europe...Carrying ID is not required in the US, although it's a good idea, and what I use is my driver's license. Guidebooks to Europe warn Americans to carry passports at all times. Just curious.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 12th, 2014, 09:05 PM   #10808
MichiH

Yes, it is allowed. The ID is like you driver's license.
Old July 12th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #10809
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Well, random checks aren't allowed here.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 12th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #10810
Road_UK
BANNED

These random checks by the police in Germany gives an impression that German is a true police state. I was on my way once from the UK to Hungary, and they stopped me at Straubing on the A3. I had to follow them into a police station, and had to sit there for over an hour as they conducted a search. I haven had to pee in a cup to do a drug test. And at another event they stopped me at Rosenheim and even went through my phone. I'm not sure if they're allowed to do that...

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old July 12th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #10811
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Quote:
These random checks by the police in Germany gives an impression that German is a true police state. I was on my way once from the UK to Hungary, and they stopped me at Straubing on the A3. I had to follow them into a police station, and had to sit there for over an hour as they conducted a search. I haven had to pee in a cup to do a drug test. And at another event they stopped me at Rosenheim and even went through my phone. I'm not sure if they're allowed to do that...
Merkel rulezzzzz!

Seriously now, Schengen is the best thing to ever come out, because of the EU.
If the EU wasn't founded in the first place, I doubt the Schengen Area would have ever been made. The Schengen Agreement should last forever... It must include all European countries in the future.
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #10812
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

We all now there is no place for humor at work in Germany. You leave it outside of the work place and take it back when you make Feierabend. So ironic they call the evening after work celebrating evening

This is why people from outside judge them as "no-humor-miserable-gestapo dickheads" To Germans it's perfectly normal behavior
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #10813
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_ View Post
Merkel rulezzzzz!

Seriously now, Schengen is the best thing to ever come out, because of the EU.
If the EU wasn't founded in the first place, I doubt the Schengen Area would have ever been made. The Schengen Agreement should last forever... It must include all European countries in the future.
It'd be nice but I don't think it will be happening. You can count Britain out for starters. They'll insist in keeping control of their own borders. Can't blame them really. Everybody wants to move to the UK, and they're building camps in Calais and await their chance to smuggle themselves in, usually on the back of a lorry. The British Border agency have a lot more work going on in Calais than the French police in Dover. Half of the time they don't even look at your passport anymore...
Old July 12th, 2014, 09:42 PM   #10814
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
We all now there is no place for humor at work in Germany. You leave it outside of the work place and take it back when you make Feierabend. So ironic they call the evening after work celebrating evening

This is why people from outside judge them as "no-humor-miserable-gestapo dickheads" To Germans it's perfectly normal behavior
Q: How do you start a German joke?

A: By looking over your shoulder first.
Old July 12th, 2014, 09:55 PM   #10815
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #10816
Road_UK
BANNED

LOL @ 1.25

"Is there any reason you want to check my trunk?"
"well, Idunno, you car is dirty..."
Old July 12th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #10817
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
We all now there is no place for humor at work in Germany.
You should add, that you are kidding. Work is also a perfect place for humor in Germany.
Old July 12th, 2014, 10:18 PM   #10818
Road_UK
BANNED

Without any form of registration?
Old July 12th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #10819
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Quote:
It'd be nice but I don't think it will be happening. You can count Britain out for starters. They'll insist in keeping control of their own borders. Can't blame them really. Everybody wants to move to the UK, and they're building camps in Calais and await their chance to smuggle themselves in, usually on the back of a lorry. The British Border agency have a lot more work going on in Calais than the French police in Dover. Half of the time they don't even look at your passport anymore...
Britain belongs to Europe. Schengen and the euro will prevail. Why? Because they can....
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 10:28 PM   #10820
Road_UK
BANNED

There'll most probably be a referendum soon. Time will tell if this is what the British people want. If they don't then it is not happening. It's called democracy. And Britain does not belong to Europe. Britain belongs to Britain. When they entered Normandy in 1944, they did not enter to surrender to Europe!

Penn's Woods liked this post

Tags
highways, motorways