daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 12th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #10821
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
You should add, that you are kidding. Work is also a perfect place for humor in Germany.
Actually it was sarcastic
I am happy though that at my current place of work we are having fun often.

But at my first place I worked here it was horrible, it was exactly as I described it. My team leader told me I am not allowed to browse the Internet, I told him, I have to read/write an E-Mail or make a money transfer, at least, he said I have to do this at home (it doesn't matter if it's urgent or not). He also told me, if I would stay longer then 10 minutes at the toilet I have to check out the time from my work time. And that for having fun, there are organized team events.

I was shocked, it was a horrible time for me, I got depressed, I wanted to go back home...

Anyway, I will end the off-topic here
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2014, 10:34 PM   #10822
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
It's called democracy. And Britain does not belong to Europe. Britain belongs to Britain.
Maybe Scotland does not belong to Britain but to "Schengen"..... Call it democracy or just crazy...
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #10823
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

A referendum will tell.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 11:58 PM   #10824
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Yes, it is allowed. The ID is like you driver's license.
In Finland though the driver's license is also the ID for all purposes (proving your identity to police, voting, withdrawing cash from bank account and so on) - so many people who drive a car and don't travel abroad actually don't have any other kind of ID at all. It actually came as a surprise that in many EU countries it is not so.
Old July 13th, 2014, 12:11 AM   #10825
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_ View Post
Merkel rulezzzzz!

Seriously now, Schengen is the best thing to ever come out, because of the EU.
If the EU wasn't founded in the first place, I doubt the Schengen Area would have ever been made. The Schengen Agreement should last forever... It must include all European countries in the future.
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 12:43 AM   #10826
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Well, what is the law? I was ready to click "like" - particularly if those are Arizona state officials as opposed to federal (which isn't clear) - but when I read the article for an answer to that question (if they're state or federal), and didn't get an answer so then read the comments....

My instinct as an educated American citizen who knows the basics of our Constitution is to assume that stopping everyone, that far from the border, is illegal (particularly if state officials are doing it), just like the NSA's practices are outrageously illegal...just like the customs agent who asked me where I was spending the night when I entered Maine from Canada last October was probably out of line. (I had an urge to say, "I'm entering my own country; is that any of your business?" But I didn't.) But that's my instinct. I don't actually know.
I got caught at one of these once. It was in White River Junction VT where I-89 and I-91 meet each other, they were stopping everyone, asking all kinds of crazy questions and wanted my driver's license (pre-passport time, probably 2006 ish). I was really surprised and confused as to the legality of that.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 10:30 AM   #10827
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Quote:
There'll most probably be a referendum soon. Time will tell if this is what the British people want. If they don't then it is not happening. It's called democracy. And Britain does not belong to Europe. Britain belongs to Britain. When they entered Normandy in 1944, they did not enter to surrender to Europe!
There is no democracy.... After all, Scotland was annexed to England without a referendum, centuries ago. It's all about political will and decisions. Democracy does not really exist. Because you vote once in 4 years, it doesn't mean you have control over anything at all. It doesn't even matter whom you vote for. You may even vote for UKIP and then Nigel is bribed and decides to change his anti-EU rhetoric. Don't confuse pseudo-democracy with the concept of democracy that doesn't really exist.
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/

Sisimoto the HUN, Verso liked this post
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 10:30 AM   #10828
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Quote:
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!
That's the idea!
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 11:08 AM   #10829
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:

There is no democracy.... After all, Scotland was annexed to England without a referendum, centuries ago. It's all about political will and decisions. Democracy does not really exist. Because you vote once in 4 years, it doesn't mean you have control over anything at all. It doesn't even matter whom you vote for. You may even vote for UKIP and then Nigel is bribed and decides to change his anti-EU rhetoric. Don't confuse pseudo-democracy with the concept of democracy that doesn't really exist.
I'm taking this to the Roadside Rest Area.
Old July 13th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #10830
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
In Germany too.
Actually, no you don't. There's an obligation to identify yourself if requested, but you don't actually have to have the ID on you at the time.

In practice, the Germans will ask first of all for a form of ID if you don't have a passport/ID card. That means a driving licence for most people. If you don't have that, then they will ask for a name/address and try and check it out via their own systems. If you can't provide a German address, you don't have any form of ID and you don't seem to have EU citizenship - then there's a chance that you'll get detained until you prove your right to be there.

In my experience, they were always happy with a Polish driving licence, though with a question as to why I had a PL licence and not a GB one.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 02:55 PM   #10831
MichiH

You are right. But you could be detained. So it is recommended to have an ID at all time
Old July 13th, 2014, 02:57 PM   #10832
Road_UK
BANNED

Do the Germans have the right to detain you without plausible cause??
Old July 13th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #10833
bogdymol
bogdymod

Here's a question for which I don't have an answer: last week I flew from München Airport to London Gatwick Airport.

On departure from München, there was customs control for exiting Germany (had to show my ID card or passport). While entering UK at London Gatwick there was another customs control (for entering UK).

On departure from London Gatwick there was no customs control (for exiting UK), but just at München Airport, for entering Germany.

Why there was no control for exiting UK, while there is one for exiting Germany? Same thing happened to me in 2009 while leaving USA (no control on exiting the country).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 03:25 PM   #10834
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Perhaps UK has nothing to steal from

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 03:29 PM   #10835
MichiH

I always had two ID checks when I flew to a non-Schengen-country, e.g. Germany-USA, Germany-Romania, Germany-Canada, Austria-Romania.
There are also ID checks Germany-Italy (not always).
Old July 13th, 2014, 04:13 PM   #10836
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Do the Germans have the right to detain you without plausible cause??
Yes, if you can't prove your identity to the satisfaction of the person asking. There's not really such a concept as "plausible cause" in Schengen, as border controls can be carried out anywhere at any time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol
Here's a question for which I don't have an answer
Basically, the UK doesn't have systematic exit checks. There are sometimes checks (especially at Dover and Heathrow), but it's not routine. They were supposed to introduce exit passport checks, but I think the issue of not having separate domestic/international airside lounges has put a stop to that idea.

The lack of exit checks has always been an odd one, especially now with the over-the-top paranoia of the UK border security.

Road_UK liked this post
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 06:34 PM   #10837
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Why there was no control for exiting UK, while there is one for exiting Germany? Same thing happened to me in 2009 while leaving USA (no control on exiting the country).
US, Canada and I guess also UK have no exit check, that's like East-Germany level stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
In my experience, they were always happy with a Polish driving licence, though with a question as to why I had a PL licence and not a GB one.
Was the answer "I am hoping they issue the speeding ticket to my real name, Prawo Jazdy"? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/n...nd/7899171.stm

Penn's Woods liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #10838
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Not taking away from your larger point (which we could argue about...or not), but didn't Scotland (or its leaders) ask for the creation of the United Kingdom because it was in financial trouble or something?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 13th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #10839
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
That's the idea!
Rolleyes.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 13th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #10840
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:

Not taking away from your larger point (which we could argue about...or not), but didn't Scotland (or its leaders) ask for the creation of the United Kingdom because it was in financial trouble or something?
I took it to the Roadside Rest Area before the lot gets deleted again...

Tags
highways, motorways