daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 19th, 2014, 04:30 PM   #10881
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
And this is not a new thing, ever since the migration began in 1960s it's been the case. Back in the day they used to travel in convoys with police in the front and back because due to fatigue there were many car crashes. Now of course no one cares about such things, but I doubt drivers are any less tired (most of them do non-stop routes).
Yes, many Turkish people who live in the Netherlands drive practically non-stop to Edirne or Istanbul. That is unsafe, I've read there are a lot of fatal accidents on the non-motorway stretch in Serbia and Bulgaria due to fatigue.

It's not safe to drive 24 hours in a row, even if you are an experienced driver. While the driving hours of truckers are maybe a bit too restrictive (9 - 10 hours a day), 24 hours is really pushing it. Studies have shown that fatigue increases quickly after 11-12 hours of driving. Very few countries permit truckers to drive that long (Canada allows 13 hours).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2014, 04:44 PM   #10882
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
And where exactly are Australians headed with a car internationally?
My point exactly. :P
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #10883
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Yesterday very close to my house there was a car crash on E-75 In crash was involved a Turkish driver and a Serbian one.Four people were injured .
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 05:02 PM   #10884
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I see Iran plates occasionally in continental Europe. Even the odd Australian one actually...
Most of them are shipped to Europe though, at least Australian ones certainly are.

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #10885
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

The Australians for sure, you can't drive through water and there's no ferry between Marseilles and Perth. However, from Iran it is drivable. I get to see lorries with Iran plates as well at times. Even saw them waiting for the ferry at Calais...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 09:17 PM   #10886
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3445

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yes, many Turkish people who live in the Netherlands drive practically non-stop to Edirne or Istanbul. That is unsafe, I've read there are a lot of fatal accidents on the non-motorway stretch in Serbia and Bulgaria due to fatigue.

It's not safe to drive 24 hours in a row, even if you are an experienced driver. While the driving hours of truckers are maybe a bit too restrictive (9 - 10 hours a day), 24 hours is really pushing it. Studies have shown that fatigue increases quickly after 11-12 hours of driving. Very few countries permit truckers to drive that long (Canada allows 13 hours).
we read often in our media that HR part of that journey is fatal due to boring motorway and long way travelled (and yet to go).

those who take rest have weird habbit to sleep on the grass at rest areas
Old July 19th, 2014, 09:20 PM   #10887
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Another factor is that fatigue accidents on non-motorways are usually more fatal, because you might veer off the road, or crash into oncoming traffic, instead of ending up at the crash barrier on the motorway. Motorways are inherently safer than other road types due to these features (grade-separation, separation of traffic, crash barriers). While you can get an accident, the results are usually less severe.

Only 1 out of 20 traffic fatalities in the Netherlands occur on motorways, despite them carrying 50% of all vehicle kilometers.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #10888
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
those who take rest have weird habbit to sleep on the grass at rest areas
I've done that before!

It was about 37C, I was driving from Munich to Graz and I was completely wrecked from the heat. My car doesn't have air conditioning, so at one point, I just gave up and stopped at one of those lovely rest areas that Austria has. I got a drink from the vending machine, when I spotted a nice piece of grass under a huge tree.

I couldn't stop myself falling asleep In my defence, it was only a half hour sleep, but it was so warm and comfortable and cool and and and...

I've always wondered if there isn't demand for capsule-type hotels along major European transit routes. The kind of place where you can stop, get a shower, sleep for a few hours and carry on without having to pay 50-60 Euro a night for the pleasure.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 10:48 PM   #10889
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
I've done that before!
i have never even considered that because i avoid even stepping on the grass on rest areas (due to truckers' and dogs' urine)

Alqaszar liked this post
x-type está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 11:11 PM   #10890
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

A big share of Turkish trucks and vans delivering goods in Europe arrives to Trieste harbour via ro-ro ships. If you take a walk through the port (before the gates, of course), Turkish plates are the most common after Italians. I even spotted a few Turkish cars and a truck from Iran and another from Algeria (!).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 12:30 AM   #10891
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

There are a great deal of people who travel on holidays with a over-weight cars, thus no safe journeys for them and other drivers.

Some years ago, Catalan police in the border of La Junquera (AP-7) weigthed all cars that seemed to have overweight. There were some of them that carried almost all things you could imagine.

As it was first time they made them, they didn't fine drivers and they kept in a warehouse the overweight. Drivers had to choose which things they had to leave out before going on and they will be able to get them on journey back.

I do not know if for second and further years they would get fined and keeping goods would be free or not

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 01:49 AM   #10892
Eulanthe

Quote:
i have never even considered that because i avoid even stepping on the grass on rest areas (due to truckers' and dogs' urine)
Austria is ok, they have rules there

^ in reference to this, I think Schengen actually was quite a bad thing in terms of checking this stuff routinely, particularly with trucks. A border guard friend told me that they used to check the driving hours of any truck that was from more than a driving shift away from the border crossing, and quite a few violations were picked up on that way. Nowadays, they have to rely on the inspectorate that deals with trucks, and the inspectorate doesn't have the resources to really deal with the problem.
Old July 20th, 2014, 04:10 AM   #10893
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Austria is ok, they have rules there
no, it is not ok.

i think this sign is from A2 near Wiener Neustadt (at least, there is similar sign)

Verso, Eulanthe, brewerfan386 liked this post
x-type está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 09:13 PM   #10894
OClone
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
I have read more than once from tourists that after entering Turkey from Bulgarian roads, they got a feeling of relief, sort of "finally, it's Europe again." OK, that's Western Turkey where development is different from Anatolia.
When I experienced Turkish roads (only on bus so far), traffic was OK, most frightening were gasoline prices (over 2 euros / litre) ... but let's not get off-topic
Yes, it's true. Fortunately, it will change soon.
OClone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #10895
Eulanthe

Quote:
no, it is not ok.

i think this sign is from A2 near Wiener Neustadt (at least, there is similar sign)
But is that sign designed to scare off the Turkish (and Scottish...) sleepers, or are there really snakes?

x-type, to talk about borders... do you know anything about the ferry in Vukovar? I'd quite like to get a stamp from the ferry border crossing there, especially as I don't have any stamps from Schengen ferry crossings - but I can't find out anything about it, only that they got a new ferry in 2010.
Old July 20th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #10896
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
But is that sign designed to scare off the Turkish (and Scottish...) sleepers, or are there really snakes?

x-type, to talk about borders... do you know anything about the ferry in Vukovar? I'd quite like to get a stamp from the ferry border crossing there, especially as I don't have any stamps from Schengen ferry crossings - but I can't find out anything about it, only that they got a new ferry in 2010.
we have been discussing it already somewhere, it seems that there are really snakes. (does somebody know which sort of mortal snakes live in Austria?)

about ferry in Vukovar - forget it. first of all, ferry is inactive since 01.07.2013. because HR and SRB haven't made correct agreement about that border crossing due to EU regulations. and even if it was correctly agreed, that border crossing was only for HR and SRB local citizens with special permits for using it.
Old July 21st, 2014, 12:17 AM   #10897
Eulanthe

Quote:
we have been discussing it already somewhere, it seems that there are really snakes. (does somebody know which sort of mortal snakes live in Austria?
My father in law is a zoologist, so I'll ask him My wife thinks it might be this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-nosed_adder - no more sleeping on the grass for me

Quote:
about ferry in Vukovar - forget it. first of all, ferry is inactive since 01.07.2013. because HR and SRB haven't made correct agreement about that border crossing due to EU regulations. and even if it was correctly agreed, that border crossing was only for HR and SRB local citizens with special permits for using it.
I should have known that the infamous local border crossings in Croatia would destroy my hopes yet again.

I'm seriously going to write a letter complaining to my MEP about them, I don't like the huge international/intrastate crossings at all.
Old July 21st, 2014, 12:40 AM   #10898
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
My father in law is a zoologist, so I'll ask him My wife thinks it might be this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-nosed_adder - no more sleeping on the grass for me
No Way. They don't like grass but stones and bushes. And Austria is too cold for them.
I rather think it could be http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipera_berus
Old July 21st, 2014, 04:06 PM   #10899
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

https://www.google.it/search?q=die+g...iw=751&bih=349 http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastarbeiterroute There was already a discussion about this topic. Aparently, the gastarbeiter migration was cause of many traffic jams and accidents across Europe (especially Austria and Yugoslavia) between the 1960s and 1980s. Probably more recently the situation has improved, thanks to the massive motorway construction in those countries and more traffic law enforcement.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 04:49 PM   #10900
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Old Gastarbeiterroute

New Gastarbeiterroute

If you wanna see both, Turks (with German plates though) and Romanians, go to the southern Ljubljana- or Maribor bypass.

Alqaszar liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways