daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2014, 12:50 AM   #10921
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3990

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcee View Post
Another story: A few years ago I had a French guest. One day he visited Szeged and posted the following facebook check-in text: "I am near the Serbian border and I'm still alive".
Just
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2014, 02:05 PM   #10922
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Sometimes i don't understand why people think that Serbs and Russians are killers.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 02:09 PM   #10923
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
Sometimes i don't understand why people think that Serbs and Russians are killers.
Medial massage... that is all Distribution of good and bad people is almost the same in every population (regarding nationality, age, gender, social status) etc.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 02:21 PM   #10924
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 13995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
There are lots of stupid things circulating in the media. Serbs are all killers, Hungarians march in nazi uniforms all day, Romanians are whipping Gypsies, Greeks never work, etc..

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM

volodaaaa liked this post
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 03:23 PM   #10925
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Once there was a forum about tourism in Vienna and some people asked info about Bratislava (for obvious geographic reasons) like it was Nigeria or something: if there's a lot of violent crime around, if many people live in favelas, if they are all gypsies, if there's a risk of diseases due to lack of hygiene, if police will extort bribes at the border with Austria, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Medial massage... that is all Distribution of good and bad people is almost the same in every population (regarding nationality, age, gender, social status) etc.
In 2014 Europe maybe, yes. In other parts of the world, instead... I know that it isn't politically correct but it's a fact that in some countries people are indoctrinated to religious extremism since they're children. It's obvious that they will grow up with distorted ideas about religious tolerance, gender equality and they will think that religion-motivated hate and violence, including terrorism, is right. It's something like here in the Middle Age, when we used to burn "eretics". So, it may be that in some countries there are more "bad people" than in others, but this in due education, not genetics.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 03:46 PM   #10926
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Once there was a forum about tourism in Vienna and some people asked info about Bratislava (for obvious geographic reasons) like it was Nigeria or something: if there's a lot of violent crime around, if many people live in favelas, if they are all gypsies, if there's a risk of diseases due to lack of hygiene, if police will extort bribes at the border with Austria, etc...
In 2014 Europe maybe, yes. In other parts of the world, instead... I know that it isn't politically correct but it's a fact that in some countries people are indoctrinated to religious extremism since they're children. It's obvious that they will grow up with distorted ideas about religious tolerance, gender equality and they will think that religion-motivated hate and violence, including terrorism, is right. It's something like here in the Middle Age, when we used to burn "eretics". So, it may be that in some countries there are more "bad people" than in others, but this in due education, not genetics.
You are right, I meant, let's say North-Atlantic culture area And the questions about Bratislava are on the right place if you get off train and see our railway station and its surroundings but it is planned to being reconstructed next year

Old August 1st, 2014, 04:20 PM   #10927
italystf

Even after 25 years of 'liberation', most of the former communist Europe is still relatively unknown to Western travellers, compared to the "old EU". Remove the Croatian coast, much of Slovenia, Prague, and Budapest, that are major touristic destination for all Europeans, the rest of the area is not very often visited by us.
Information about these countries is still scarce and based on stereothypes and prejudices. We don't see many times in our television documentaries about, let's say, monuments and national parks in Poland or Romania. On the other hand, we often hear news about people immigrated here from those countries, being not the best example of honesty. If you show a picture of a favela and you say that the whole **** (enter a random EE country) looks like this, probably 80% of people would believe.
Surely there are still many areas with extreme poverty, unemployment, urban decay, crime, emargination (and one should blame mostly communism for it) but there are many places that could be attractive for international tourists, that are probably safer than many touristic destinations in Latin America, Asia, Africa and Middle East.
Western and Eastern Europe always have always shared the same history and culture, except between 1945 and 1990. 45 years of history are too few to create "two different worlds", like could be Europe and China, or the USA and the Arab world, that never had a common heritage. For example, in 1900, the same Empire extended on both sides of what became the Iron Curtain. They had similar culture, same architectural style,... In 1930 a German and a Czech weren't much different than a German and a French. 20 years later it wasn't the same because of political division. If communism never happened, we would use Western Europe and Eastern Europe in the same way we use Southern Europe and Northern Europe, only with geographical connotation.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

volodaaaa, nbcee, cinxxx liked this post
Old August 1st, 2014, 04:31 PM   #10928
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Once I went to Poland, and my colleague could not understand why one would ever do that, 'everything must be gray there', he said.

I must say the differences on each side of the border can be huge. Not just driving into the former Eastern Bloc, but also between the Netherlands and Belgium for example. Drive from Maastricht to Liège, and you'll see a huge difference in landscape, housing, maintenance, public spaces, etc. Almost like day and night. That makes Germany-Poland looks like night and later that night.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 05:13 PM   #10929
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

It's really not that bad anymore. Over the years that I have been driving to Poland, I could tell how Poland is changing and becoming more and more of a powerhouse. Everything is getting cleaner and more advanced. More advanced then even Belgium I would say.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 05:29 PM   #10930
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Surely there are still many areas with extreme poverty, unemployment, urban decay, crime, emargination (and one should blame mostly communism for it) but there are many places that could be attractive for international tourists, that are probably safer than many touristic destinations in Latin America, Asia, Africa and Middle East.
Ex-communist EU members (except Baltic states) are one of the safest parts of the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 05:38 PM   #10931
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 13995

Quote:
Even after 25 years of 'liberation', most of the former communist Europe is still relatively unknown to Western travellers, compared to the "old EU". Remove the Croatian coast, much of Slovenia, Prague, and Budapest, that are major touristic destination for all Europeans, the rest of the area is not very often visited by us.

Information about these countries is still scarce and based on stereothypes and prejudices. We don't see many times in our television documentaries about, let's say, monuments and national parks in Poland or Romania.
And it even exists in these places too. Just a few days ago in a forum a tourist received "advice" from others that he must avoid the whole District VIII at any cost just because the outer part of it is quite a run-down area. We tried to reason with him saying that the inner parts are just as good as anywhere else (Heck I live near there ) for example like this. But no, he was too scared.
Quote:
On the other hand, we often hear news about people immigrated here from those countries, being not the best example of honesty. If you show a picture of a favela and you say that the whole **** (enter a random EE country) looks like this, probably 80% of people would believe.
True, they are not the best example to say the least. It's quite logical: If you have a decent job, a house, a car, etc. then why would you leave it all behind just to beg in the streets of a WE city?

And of course no news channel shows (and nobody cares about) stories like "XY went home in his Opel Astra after work and watched the football game on his TV".
Quote:
there are many places that could be attractive for international tourists, that are probably safer than many touristic destinations in Latin America, Asia, Africa and Middle East.
True dat. It would be interesting to compare the crime rates of the infamous District VIII and a random town from the places you mentioned. Or even some locations from the USA.

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM

Last edited by nbcee; August 1st, 2014 at 05:45 PM.
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 05:54 PM   #10932
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Ex-communist EU members (except Baltic states) are one of the safest parts of the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate
EU in general it's the safest area in the planet, with Western Europe ranking generally a bit better than Eastern Europe. Norway looks like quite bad in the map, but only because the map is from 2012, when a psychotic guy decided to shot nearly 100 people. It would be more accurate to make this statistic based on data of 10 years instead 1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...e#By_subregion
Here E.E. appears a lot worse than W.E., but probably because they included Russia and its troubled regions in Northern Caucasus.
But what's up with the Baltics? One may think that they're sleepy and sparsely populated countries where nothing happens...
Old August 1st, 2014, 11:55 PM   #10933
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
That's Košice though. Maybe you can see it from Hungary.
Fair enough. This is Bratislava seem from the Austrian motorway.

Verso, volodaaaa, hofburg, Attus liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2014, 01:23 AM   #10934
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Border checkpoint between Egypt and Libya.

Egypt:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/34898480

Libya (in 2010, so under Gaddafi):

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/38157728
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2014, 02:31 AM   #10935
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Fair enough. This is Bratislava seem from the Austrian motorway.

That motorway is A6 ?
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2014, 08:12 PM   #10936
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2097

I am perfectly capable of picking extreme examples and make a point out of that. But since it's unfair and dishonest, I won't.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2014, 08:18 PM   #10937
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Using Marseille to compare it to anything else is just... it just doesn't make sense. It's like a statistical island. Nothing there works the same way as anywhere in Europe.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 09:45 PM   #10938
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2097

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
Using Marseille to compare it to anything else is just... it just doesn't make sense. It's like a statistical island. Nothing there works the same way as anywhere in Europe.
Exactly. The same way someone here picked nice streets of a town in France, bad street of a town in Italy and made a universal example out of that.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2014, 10:15 PM   #10939
volodaaaa

I wonder, how is a border crossing developed. Let's imagine Latvia - Russia border crossing. First, there was a independence declaration. Then what? Some tanks and barriers? Then first mobile booths?

Old August 2nd, 2014, 10:19 PM   #10940
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I wonder, how is a border crossing developed. Let's imagine Latvia - Russia border crossing. First, there was a independence declaration. Then what? Some tanks and barriers? Then first mobile booths?
As far as I remember, movement was pretty much controlled even within the Soviet Union. So chances are there was a booth and a barrier to begin with.

Tags
highways, motorways