daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2014, 10:22 PM   #10941
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1746

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
As far as I remember, movement was pretty much controlled even within the Soviet Union. So chances are there was a booth and a barrier to begin with.
And what about Yugoslavia? My classmate told me, there were borderchecks even withing Serbia and Montegegro.

Btw. I don't remember Czechoslovakia split, for I was 6 years old

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2014, 12:01 AM   #10942
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
And what about Yugoslavia? My classmate told me, there were borderchecks even withing Serbia and Montegegro.

Btw. I don't remember Czechoslovakia split, for I was 6 years old
no way, that's wrong. i have been writing this story, but i can repeat it. so, at 2nd grade of elementary school we went to Postojna. it was my first trip out of Croatia. I was wondering how that Slovenia thing looks like. so, first impression was that they didn't have Ina gas stations, but Petrol. and that was the only sign of entereing to Slovenia: there were 2 gas stations at the distance of few hunderds of meters: one Ina, other one Petrol. and that was it.

probably there were some checks betweer Serbia adn Montenegro, but that was not in SFR Yugoslavia but in FR Yugoslavia (later called Serbia and Montenegro), and I think that they had customs controls for the goods among themselves.

volodaaaa liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 12:20 AM   #10943
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post

probably there were some checks betweer Serbia adn Montenegro, but that was not in SFR Yugoslavia but in FR Yugoslavia (later called Serbia and Montenegro), and I think that they had customs controls for the goods among themselves.
Yes, my classmate told me the story in 2005

Old August 3rd, 2014, 12:37 AM   #10944
Pascal20a

Likes (Received): 19

How are the border checks at the Neum border? Is this strictly enforced? What should I take in order to enter to Bosnia may?
Pascal20a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 12:40 AM   #10945
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal20a View Post
How are the border checks at the Neum border? Is this strictly enforced? What should I take in order to enter to Bosnia may?
Make sure you have a green card (insurance). About the strictness, it was relaxed when I've been there last time.

Old August 3rd, 2014, 12:52 AM   #10946
Pascal20a

And i have read we should have enough by us. And we should declare all Electronic devices. Is that true??
Old August 3rd, 2014, 01:23 AM   #10947
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal20a View Post
And i have read we should have enough by us. And we should declare all Electronic devices. Is that true??
Have not done that.

Old August 3rd, 2014, 01:35 AM   #10948
Pascal20a

We wanna go to Medjugorje and then to Mostar. When i have another questions can i ask you it?
Old August 3rd, 2014, 01:46 AM   #10949
volodaaaa

That's the exact place I've been to :-) You are welcome.

Old August 3rd, 2014, 09:43 PM   #10950
piotr71

Another new country in Europe? Maybe Southern Moresnet?

granice by 71piotr, on Flickr
Old August 3rd, 2014, 09:54 PM   #10951
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2079

No, the former railway line is part of Belgium: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vennbahn.

piotr71, keokiracer liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 11:06 PM   #10952
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
No, the former railway line is part of Belgium: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vennbahn.
That is cool

Old August 4th, 2014, 03:01 AM   #10953
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion

Especially now that the tracks have been removed. Just a stretch of Belgian territory in Germany, leaving some German enclaves. The smalles one at Entenpfuhl (south of where the B 258 leves belgium again) would even qualify für one of the puzzle pieces of Baarle.
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 04:41 AM   #10954
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I wonder, how is a border crossing developed. Let's imagine Latvia - Russia border crossing. First, there was a independence declaration. Then what? Some tanks and barriers? Then first mobile booths?
Oooh, my favourite subject

From what I know, the usual pattern was to deploy Customs officers first - for instance, on the Croatian-Slovenian border or Lithuanian-Belarusian SSR border. I don't know about Latvia-USSR, but on the Lithuanian borders, the Soviets still controlled them for a short while after independence.

What usually seemed to happen was that portable work containers were deployed quite quickly, but police (immigration) checks took some time to set up. I'm pretty sure that this is true for most borders.

In the Soviet Union, internal borders were like Yugoslav internal borders - they didn't exist. Of course, some areas were closed cities anyway, but there was no formal control between constituent countries.

FR Yugoslavia seems to have been the odd one for having customs controls between the republics, but that was entirely because of Serbia and Montenegro developing radically different economic policies.

---

Some news from Balkan borders from the last few days.

I did some exploring on Saturday as I was staying in Trebinje, and well, it wasn't good. The one between Trebinje and Herceg Novi ("Sitnica""?) had a small queue, but later on that day, I went to go and get a picture from Prevlaka. A 30 second wait to leave Montenegro, but the other way was an absolute disaster. The queue stretched almost into Vitaljina village, and when we got to the D8, we saw that the Croatian police were directing traffic to Vitaljina. I asked them what was going on, and apparently the main HR/MNE crossing at Karaskovici was overloaded and looking at a wait of around 5-6 hours. Vitaljina was the same - while the overwhelmed Croatian guards were waving people through, the Montenegrin guards were really checking everything that was coming in.

So we went to Ivanica, and same story there. Croatia was waving cars through, but the Bosnian control was thorough and correct. After about 20 minutes waiting, they gave up with the systematic controls and just started waving people through.

Today was also a complete disaster - Ivanica was overloaded, and while the Bosnians were waving people through, the Croatian control was completely overwhelmed with BiH cars.

I know there's nothing they can do with the HR/MNE crossings, but they really need to sort out Ivanica. Waiting nearly an hour to enter the EU is ridiculous, especially as EU passport holders.

Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 09:01 AM   #10955
gbrads1980

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Oooh, my favourite subject

From what I know, the usual pattern was to deploy Customs officers first - for instance, on the Croatian-Slovenian border or Lithuanian-Belarusian SSR border. I don't know about Latvia-USSR, but on the Lithuanian borders, the Soviets still controlled them for a short while after independence.

What usually seemed to happen was that portable work containers were deployed quite quickly, but police (immigration) checks took some time to set up. I'm pretty sure that this is true for most borders.

In the Soviet Union, internal borders were like Yugoslav internal borders - they didn't exist. Of course, some areas were closed cities anyway, but there was no formal control between constituent countries.

FR Yugoslavia seems to have been the odd one for having customs controls between the republics, but that was entirely because of Serbia and Montenegro developing radically different economic policies.

---

Some news from Balkan borders from the last few days.

I did some exploring on Saturday as I was staying in Trebinje, and well, it wasn't good. The one between Trebinje and Herceg Novi ("Sitnica""?) had a small queue, but later on that day, I went to go and get a picture from Prevlaka. A 30 second wait to leave Montenegro, but the other way was an absolute disaster. The queue stretched almost into Vitaljina village, and when we got to the D8, we saw that the Croatian police were directing traffic to Vitaljina. I asked them what was going on, and apparently the main HR/MNE crossing at Karaskovici was overloaded and looking at a wait of around 5-6 hours. Vitaljina was the same - while the overwhelmed Croatian guards were waving people through, the Montenegrin guards were really checking everything that was coming in.

So we went to Ivanica, and same story there. Croatia was waving cars through, but the Bosnian control was thorough and correct. After about 20 minutes waiting, they gave up with the systematic controls and just started waving people through.

Today was also a complete disaster - Ivanica was overloaded, and while the Bosnians were waving people through, the Croatian control was completely overwhelmed with BiH cars.

I know there's nothing they can do with the HR/MNE crossings, but they really need to sort out Ivanica. Waiting nearly an hour to enter the EU is ridiculous, especially as EU passport holders.
Try the Gibraltar border on a bad day
gbrads1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 11:42 AM   #10956
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Been there, dunnit, got the t-shirt. Last time I went through there on my way out in a 7 metre van I got stuck in a queue for hours, and as the queue had to do a 90 degree turn in narrow lanes just before the Spanish controls, both the Spanish and Gibraltar agents stopped traffic so I could make the bloody turn. The Spanish just had a quick look in the back though.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 12:14 PM   #10957
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

its a pity but i will never again post anything on this forum , i feel that i can not express my opinion in freedom , i feel censored here if somebody else doesnt like a pic i posted and it's deleted .
i didnt mean to disturb anyone

Last edited by VITORIA MAN; August 4th, 2014 at 02:00 PM.
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 12:16 PM   #10958
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Edit

Last edited by Road_UK; August 4th, 2014 at 12:22 PM.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #10959
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Actually, customs controls between Serbia and Montenegro started in 1999 when Montenegro introduced German Mark as a currency instead of Yugoslav dinar. From 1992 to 1999 there wasn't any border control between two republics. In 2001 Montenegro founded their central bank and banned dinar, in 2002 Euro replaced German Mark. Same was continued after 2003 when FR Yugoslavia was replaced by State union of Serbia and Montenegro, a country with two central banks, two currencies and two customs services. This loose union was finnaly dissolved in 2006.

Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #10960
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITORIA MAN View Post
its a pity but i will never again post anything on this forum , i feel that i can not express my opinion in freedom , i feel censored here if somebody else doesnt like a pic i posted and it's deleted .
i didnt mean to disturb anyone
Don't give up. Just post in the correct thread and nothing will be deleted.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways