daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 4th, 2014, 03:32 PM   #10961
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Nothing is supposed to be deleted. EVER.

VITORIA MAN liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2014, 03:56 PM   #10962
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Actually, customs controls between Serbia and Montenegro started in 1999 when Montenegro introduced German Mark as a currency instead of Yugoslav dinar. From 1992 to 1999 there wasn't any border control between two republics. In 2001 Montenegro founded their central bank and banned dinar, in 2002 Euro replaced German Mark. Same was continued after 2003 when FR Yugoslavia was replaced by State union of Serbia and Montenegro, a country with two central banks, two currencies and two customs services. This loose union was finnaly dissolved in 2006.
What was the response of public? Nonetheless, Yugoslavia (1996) was still stronger state than loose union of Serbian and Montenegro.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #10963
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4016

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
What was the response of public? Nonetheless, Yugoslavia (1996) was still stronger state than loose union of Serbian and Montenegro.
After NATO bombing in 1999 Montenegro tended to have more pro-Western policy than official Belgrade had at that time (don't forget that Milošević still in power). That resulted a creation of loose union with only army, foreign minister and sport teams in common. Public opinion in Serbia reacted negative and many decided to go to vacation in Greece instead.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 04:22 PM   #10964
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

This pictures were made on 30th July when i was going back home from my trip to Greece.
On firts one there is a Tabanovce border crossing in Macedonia.
On second one there is a Presevo border crossing in Serbia .
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

volodaaaa, Road_UK liked this post
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #10965
volodaaaa

Quote:
After NATO bombing in 1999 Montenegro tended to have more pro-Western policy than official Belgrade had at that time (don't forget that Milošević still in power). That resulted a creation of loose union with only army, foreign minister and sport teams in common. Public opinion in Serbia reacted negative and many decided to go to vacation in Greece instead.
Thank you for the first-hand explanation. I am very interested in that issue (as well as former Yugoslavia).

Old August 4th, 2014, 05:28 PM   #10966
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Actually, customs controls between Serbia and Montenegro started in 1999 when Montenegro introduced German Mark as a currency instead of Yugoslav dinar. From 1992 to 1999 there wasn't any border control between two republics. In 2001 Montenegro founded their central bank and banned dinar, in 2002 Euro replaced German Mark. Same was continued after 2003 when FR Yugoslavia was replaced by State union of Serbia and Montenegro, a country with two central banks, two currencies and two customs services. This loose union was finnaly dissolved in 2006.
I've often wondered why the EU doesn't formalise the use of the Euro by Kosovo and Montenegro - the current situation of simply pretending that it doesn't happen is rather silly.

Incidentally, one annoying thing about the borders round here is the absolute lack of places to exchange money.

Anyway, on Wednesday, Neum is calling - we'll see if anything interesting happens there. I can't find the map of Croatian border crossings that I had, so does anyone know - are there any other international border crossings near Neum that I can visit?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 05:32 PM   #10967
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 521

Poland - Germany schengen border bridge Not in use since 1945.

Pics from July 2014 done by myself. View from German side towards Poland

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA

piotr71, Moravian, los77 liked this post
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 05:52 PM   #10968
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
I've often wondered why the EU doesn't formalise the use of the Euro by Kosovo and Montenegro - the current situation of simply pretending that it doesn't happen is rather silly.

Incidentally, one annoying thing about the borders round here is the absolute lack of places to exchange money.

Anyway, on Wednesday, Neum is calling - we'll see if anything interesting happens there. I can't find the map of Croatian border crossings that I had, so does anyone know - are there any other international border crossings near Neum that I can visit?
There is a international border crossing "Klek" and international border crossing "Zaton Doli "
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #10969
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

You can check out the border crossing Čepikuće/Trebimlja. I crossed there in May...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 07:43 PM   #10970
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
You can check out the border crossing Čepikuće/Trebimlja. I crossed there in May...
That'll do nicely, thank you!

I'm going to see if I can convince them to let me cross at Gabela Polje in Metkovic too, seeing as Croatia has idiotically decided to restrict it to locals only. Who on earth would restrict a border crossing in a town to only locals while the international border crossing is in the middle of nowhere?
Old August 4th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #10971
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe

Today was also a complete disaster - Ivanica was overloaded, and while the Bosnians were waving people through, the Croatian control was completely overwhelmed with BiH cars.

I know there's nothing they can do with the HR/MNE crossings, but they really need to sort out Ivanica. Waiting nearly an hour to enter the EU is ridiculous, especially as EU passport holders.
I have once read (and there is a newsitem on youtube somewhere) about the reopening of the road between Dubravka (Konavle, Croatia) and Jablan Do on the road Trebinje-Herceg Novi. That crossing hasn't still be opened yet.

Edit: found it: the border nowadays is to be seen on 1:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xnQX6s3LQM
Old August 4th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #10972
Pascal20a

Likes (Received): 19

Is the border crossing at Vitaljina opened only for Croats and Montenegrins or for all?
Pascal20a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 12:33 AM   #10973
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
I have once read (and there is a newsitem on youtube somewhere) about the reopening of the road between Dubravka (Konavle, Croatia) and Jablan Do on the road Trebinje-Herceg Novi. That crossing hasn't still be opened yet.

Edit: found it: the border nowadays is to be seen on 1:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xnQX6s3LQM
Could make some sense, but I don't think the Trebinje-Herceg Novi road has that much capacity on the Montenegrin side to deal with the overspill from the two HR/MNE crossings.

The problem is that there's not much point in building extra capacity on the MNE/HR border for a few weekends a year. The only solution I can think of is to build a large car park on the HR side, then pre-clear travellers at that point during the weekends in cooperation with the MNE controls.

Pascal, yes, the Vitaljina crossing is an international border crossing. It's rather odd that it is, but I think there's some diplomatic reasons for it being an international rather than local border crossing point.

As for Neum, you have nothing much to worry about. The controls are a breeze - all accounts are that neither Croatia or Bosnia are interested in conducting full controls there. I'll report back on Wednesday with more information
Old August 5th, 2014, 01:03 AM   #10974
Pascal20a

Then i should avoid this border section?
Pascal20a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 07:55 AM   #10975
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I wonder, how is a border crossing developed. Let's imagine Latvia - Russia border crossing. First, there was a independence declaration. Then what? Some tanks and barriers? Then first mobile booths?
Maljevac crossing between HR and BiH in 1995 (looking from BiH to HR)

Nowadays, a new big crossing exists next to this small road. Part of this road is on Street View.

cinxxx, SRC_100, volodaaaa, Corvinus, Moravian liked this post
Palance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 01:41 PM   #10976
Eulanthe

I wonder - was that UN post an actual border crossing, or was it merely a guard post? There are some remains of those UN barriers near Zeljava, too. I don't know for certain, but it seems that the UN was controlling the borders between the RSK and the various parastates at the time.

Pascal, no need to avoid Neum. It's not really a proper border crossing - if you're an obvious tourist, you'll be waved through.
Old August 5th, 2014, 01:45 PM   #10977
volodaaaa

Quote:
Maljevac crossing between HR and BiH in 1995 (looking from BiH to HR)

Nowadays, a new big crossing exists next to this small road. Part of this road is on Street View.
More photos like that please

Old August 6th, 2014, 07:09 PM   #10978
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

This should be Brčko, BIH in 1994, looking to Croatia.

Attus liked this post
Palance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 07:35 PM   #10979
Eulanthe

Today's roadtrip was to Metkovic, and a small report from there -

The main Metkovic crossing (Doljani or something?) is a disaster - over an hour wait to exit Croatia and enter BiH. I parked up to have a look, and the main problem seems to be caused by over-zealous entry controls to both countries. It doesn't help that BiH appears to be entering every non-HR/BiH registered car into a computer for some reason.

I tried crossing at Gabela Polje and the other one nearby next to the Neretva, and they absolutely refused to even let me cross on foot. I even asked them in Gabela Polje if I could just go to the shop - no can do.

Interestingly, along the border in Gabela, there's a street called Marka Marulica. The whole street only has one barrier next to a hairdresser - http://prafulla.net/?attachment_id=482553 - this one. The rest of the street has numerous streets leading into BiH, and none of them are controlled in any way. From hanging around there, it seems that the EU border is wide open at that point. I'm not sure if it's actually possible to go anywhere on the BiH side, though.

What's also interesting is that Croatia hasn't made any effort to mark the border in Gabela Polje, so you could easily accidentally stray into Bosnia by mistake.

Neum is ridiculous as ever - passed through Klek and Zaton Doli twice, BiH police were nowhere to be seen, and Croatian police looked bored senseless. Documents weren't checked once.
Old August 6th, 2014, 10:03 PM   #10980
Tachi

Quote:
This should be Brčko, BIH in 1994, looking to Croatia.
Today the border station is on a small piece of tarmac between the Sava bridge and the intersection with the main boulevard in Brčko.

I crossed this border from BIH to HR long time ago in 2001.
Tachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways