daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2014, 08:08 PM   #11061
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Or just a mistake with languages. ETA is Finnish for EEA (Euroopan Talousalue, European Economic Area).
Yes. I am sorry about the confusion.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2014, 10:28 PM   #11062
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Could I ask for a huge favour from anyone living in Croatia or Slovenia?

I want to go back to Restoran Kalin to finally eat dinner inside there, but I remember that it was closed last summer around this time. Would someone be kind enough to call them to check if they're open or closed?

http://www.restorankalin.com/location/ - the numbers are here.

I promise to take pictures inside if it's open
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
You'd be best asking these questions at a Croatian Skybar or something. Not here.
actually i called them, but nobody answered. it seems that they are closed only at mondays. also, i read that old owner died in hunting, and after that some other people took over the restaurant, after that quality dropped down.
Old August 14th, 2014, 01:56 AM   #11063
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
actually i called them, but nobody answered. it seems that they are closed only at mondays. also, i read that old owner died in hunting, and after that some other people took over the restaurant, after that quality dropped down.
Thank you so much, probably means they're closed for summer holidays again

When did the old owner die? I think I met the current owner last year (we only had time for coffee), but we didn't really have time to stay and talk.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 03:19 AM   #11064
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Same here .

But I believe MattiG wanted to say EFTA.
Switzerland isn't "almost EFTA", it's properly its member.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #11065
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
Okay, I went there anyway to have a look because of the diabolical situation on the A1 today, and explored the local area. The restaurant is shut UNTIL TOMORROW. I leave tomorrow morning

Anyway, some comments about the Bregana area -

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Br...00ad5153373812 - this guard hut is now unmanned. Previously, there was someone there all the time, but now, nothing. A local told me that they're only there now on an irregular basis and that they aren't being bothered for documents anymore.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.8425...xs0yhr76sw!2e0 - likewise, this guard hut is also empty and not being used. You can actually drive across the border near there without any fuss whatsoever - the road is wide open and only a very small sign warns you about the Slovenian border. I actually drove across by mistake - then drove back and took pictures. No sign of any interest whatsoever from Croatian/Slovenian border guards.

The controls at the actual border crossing in Bregana are incredibly light. Still no sign of the 'one stop control', but it might as well be a Schengen border already.

--

Elsewhere, Neum - entirely as I reported before. No interest whatsoever from the BiH police and customs (who were nowhere to be seen, as usual), and the Croatian police were incredibly relaxed.

I won't manage to upload it until I get home, but I've found something very interesting in Gabela Polje, near Metkovic. There's a petrol station only accessible from Croatia, but located (just) on Bosnian territory. Prices are in KM, but what makes it incredibly curious is the lack of access from Bosnian territory. The whole area is incredibly poorly controlled - no sign of any video control, patrols or anything else. There's an abandoned police box too, but in general, the entire area seems to be completely open. I'm not sure how Croatia can join Schengen with such wide open borders.

Nova Sela is a great border crossing, barely any waiting time at all. The Bosnian side (Bileca?) is completely unfinished - it looks like they don't even have the facilities to deal with imports and exports yet. Interesting, Croatia doesn't have a radiation detector there.
Old August 15th, 2014, 12:19 AM   #11066
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Road_UK, can you give me some information about clearing Customs for going to Norway?

Why do you clear the goods out of the EU in Dover and not on the border with Norway? Also, what stops you from not actually exporting them?

Are you obliged to report to the Customs authority of the last EU state you're in before exporting them?
I actually do clear them on the border with Norway as well - as on any border outside the EU I am travelling to - in my job only Norway and Switzerland so far.

In Dover I go to the freight handler office first. My boss will already have faxed the paperwork with the goods, VAT estimates and quantities. I get the official T1 form from that office and I walk over to UK HM Customs and they are going to clear it for leaving the EU. I get a stamp on the T1 form. On the Norwegian border with Sweden I have to go a freight handling office again. They provide me with a new form which I then take to Norwegian customs, and the goods are now cleared to enter Norway. Same procedure on the French-Swiss border. I have nothing to do with customs of the last EU country I was in as it already has been cleared by the British. Earlier, before entering Switzerland I had to get it stamped by the French as well. >That was a pain in the ass and lots of walking. First park the van at the crossing in St Louis-Basel, then freight handling office, then French customs, then walk back to freight handling office, then walk over to Swiss customs, then back to van and drive to passport control. But since about 5 years ago I just needed a Swiss stamp upon entering.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 01:10 AM   #11067
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3277

Some shots of border crossing Udvar/Dubosevica (H/HR):

First shot shows hungarian check point for the opposite direction (for entering Hungary)

Therefore, we must turn to the right and enter the appropriate check point. Both are parallel, separated by a building

Here is a check point for leaving Hungary

Croatian check point... much smaller than hungarian

Croatian speed limits

Moravian, Palance, los77 liked this post
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 01:17 AM   #11068
SRC_100

And now shots form border crossing between Croatia and BiH, Slavonski Brod/(Bosanski) Brod:

First shot shows croatian check point

This one is after river bridge (which is between croatian and bosnan check points)

BiH check point (in fact there is Republic of Srpska)

As you see, very simple and neglected infrastructure of border control

Corvinus, los77 liked this post
Old August 16th, 2014, 08:53 AM   #11069
BL2
I bin a Wiena

Likes (Received): 1557

I see it is small, but I don't see it is more or less neglected then Hungarian.
BL2 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #11070
SRC_100

I wrote what are my feelings. Unfortunately I couldn`t take picture on site. There it looks worse than outside. When I was leaving BiH there , nobody stopped me to check my ID or so. I just went over not stopping
What was funny on croatian side, all cars (croatian) stood in queue on line for EU citizenship etc. and no one car on line for "all passports"! I went there, so I didn`t have to stay in queue at least 15 minutes

putzi__ liked this post

Last edited by SRC_100; August 16th, 2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old August 16th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #11071
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

LOL, they are just proud of EU

BL2, putzi__ liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #11072
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

I doubt. They see "EU" and go there without much thinking.

x-type liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 08:49 PM   #11073
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRC_100 View Post
I wrote what are my feelings. Unfortunately I couldn`t take picture on site. There it looks worse than outside. When I was leaving BiH there , nobody stopped me to check my ID or so. I just went over not stopping
It is true. Many of the BiH border crossings just aren't set up well - for instance, Ivanica where they're working out of a portacabin despite it being an international crossing. Brcko, Brod and Gradiska are also completely rubbish - instead of coming to an agreement with Croatia over a joint facility, they choose to maintain a completely inadequate facility themselves.

In fairness, not all of the Croatian ones are great, but when you compare the size of the facilities at Brcko and Brod with the BiH counterparts, it's just painful. There's really no excuse for it - there's a large car park next to the Brcko crossing that could be levelled and used as a checkpoint.

Whatever happened to the plan to build a proper checkpoint at Ivanica?

What makes it even worse is their behaviour in Neum. I understand waving cars through, but I actually saw the BiH border police sitting around in their office drinking coffee while leaving the border completely open. What possible reason can there be for not even controlling entry with a visual check?

Quote:
Whata was funny on croatian side, all cars (croatian) stood in queue on line for EU citizenship etc. and no one car on line for "all passports"! I went there, so I don`t have to stay in queue at least 15 minutes
I noticed this too! It wasn't just Croatian, but plenty of tourists doing the same - Schengen seems to have made people stupid. I must have saved about 15 minutes at Klek by doing just that - people were queuing up quite far back, but by overtaking them in the lorries lane and then taking the absolutely empty "all passports" line, I jumped the entire queue. The girl working there even remarked that people couldn't read.

SRC_100 liked this post

Last edited by Eulanthe; August 16th, 2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old August 16th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #11074
BL2
I bin a Wiena

so you complain because there are no strict controls

Kanadzie liked this post
Old August 17th, 2014, 02:40 AM   #11075
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL2 View Post
so you complain because there are no strict controls
Of course. It's absolutely irresponsible of BiH not to even do a 'minimum check' on entry - they seem to be relying on Croatia to do it, which isn't exactly the kind of cooperation expected from a country with EU aspirations.

I've said it elsewhere, but Bosnia really has a lousy attitude at times towards border control in general. Some facilities are great - Licko Petrovo Selo (sorry, don't know the Bosnian name) and Nova Sela for instance. But a single lane on entry at Brcko, Brod, Gradiska and Ivanica is absolutely ridiculous when you consider the amount of traffic that goes through there.
Old August 17th, 2014, 06:41 AM   #11076
BL2
I bin a Wiena

Quote:
Of course. It's absolutely irresponsible of BiH not to even do a 'minimum check' on entry - they seem to be relying on Croatia to do it, which isn't exactly the kind of cooperation expected from a country with EU aspirations.

I've said it elsewhere, but Bosnia really has a lousy attitude at times towards border control in general. Some facilities are great - Licko Petrovo Selo (sorry, don't know the Bosnian name) and Nova Sela for instance. But a single lane on entry at Brcko, Brod, Gradiska and Ivanica is absolutely ridiculous when you consider the amount of traffic that goes through there.
Comme on Are you serious?! We dont need and dont want controls, we dont want ghettos. We hate it. If you want and like it just go to North Korea or wherever. That is Bosnian attitude.

Kanadzie liked this post
Old August 17th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #11077
Pascal20a

Likes (Received): 19

There was a very long traffic jam from Zabok to the slovenian - croatian border yesterday at 21:30 h
Pascal20a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 04:58 PM   #11078
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Zernez (CH) -> Livigno (I)
August 2014, shot from bus

1. Border is some 200 mts ahead

2. Swiss border post to the right, main road 28 to the left. This border post is still about 4 kms into Swiss territory.

3. The crossing's name is La Drossa

4. Single-lane tunnel under Munt La Schera, some 3 kms long, entirely in/under
Swiss territory. The traffic light actually shows red, not yellow ...

5. Looks like at least 100 yrs old ...

6. After the tunnel, still Switzerland! You first ride atop of a dam along the shore of Lago di Livigno. Ahead, the toll booth for the tunnel.

7. Only after the dam do we actually enter Italy!

8. Italian customs booth

los77, Attus, Palance, SRC_100 liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #11079
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16177

Huge queues on exit from Serbia to Croatia and Hungary at Batrovci and Horgos - 4-5 hours. And the worst part is that the alternative crossings have been discovered by Turkish gastarbeiters so there is a 3 hour wait at Backi Vinogradi for an example. In comments section people report waiting 8-9 hours yesterday.

http://www.blic.rs/Vesti/Drustvo/488...-i-po-pet-sati

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #11080
nestvaran
Inveniam viam

Likes (Received): 5112

What do Serbian gastarbeiters do? Fly over?
nestvaran no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways