daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 18th, 2014, 11:55 PM   #11121
aubergine72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
Judging by the sweet lemon tone and knowing it from some other situations I sense it's already known that Croatia won't make it in 2016 for some other reasons other than the stalling of Bulgaria and Romania. But yes I can't see Croatia joining before the two even if there were no other issues and that is unfair IMO. Actually stalling Bulgaria and Romania might even be illegal. If those countries didn't want them in the EU they shouldn't have ratified the accession treaty. Now it's just pathetic behavior, they are in the EU and that's it, not allowing them into Schengen might bring populist politicians a few votes but it won't make a difference.
The problem with Schengen is being an outer border with Turkey and also bordering Greece which will provide an uninterrupted passage for illegals. Nothing to do with "not wanting" anyone in the EU. It's also used as a tool to combat corruption in those countries (not that Croatia is any better in that respect).

I think that Schengen is not necessary at the time nor it provides any significant benefit.
aubergine72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2014, 11:58 PM   #11122
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubergine72 View Post

The problem with Schengen is being an outer border with Turkey and also bordering Greece which will provide an uninterrupted passage for illegals. Nothing to do with "not wanting" anyone in the EU. I think that Schengen is not necessary at the time nor it provides any significant benefit.
For one thing they are not trusted yet with securing EU's outer borders. But then again, neither is Greece, and they are in Schengen anyway.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 12:00 AM   #11123
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
For one thing they are not trusted yet with securing EU's outer borders. But then again, neither is Greece, and they are in Schengen anyway.
We do our best but in this crisis we simply cannot fund a proper border protection both by land and by sea. Perhaps the EU should do something about it. We are the goal keepers of Europe for ****'s sake.
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 12:03 AM   #11124
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_ View Post

We do our best but in this crisis we simply cannot fund a proper border protection both by land and by sea. Perhaps the EU should do something about it. We are the goal keepers of Europe for ****'s sake.
I agree, and I'm not blaming Greece.

Skyline_ liked this post
Old August 19th, 2014, 12:04 AM   #11125
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16177

Quote:
Nothing to do with "not wanting" anyone in the EU.
Not true. Populist right-wing politicians in the UK, Netherlands and France have said vile things about Romanians.

Quote:
I think that Schengen is not necessary at the time nor it provides any significant benefit.
Irrelevant. They are part of the EU and they can't be left out legally as they have equipped their border to fight illegal crossings and the EU doesn't deny this. Not to mention that Europe doesn't have much of a problem with illegal immigration like the US with Mexicans. Most migrants in Europe just seek asylum which is a different category, they can arrive through a regular border post as you can't turn them back once they have filed an asylum request. The only reason why they take the alternative routes is because they don't want to claim asylum in Bulgaria but in Germany or the UK and once they have been caught in Bulgaria they have to claim asylum there after which they can't do it in the west.

Bulgaria and Romania are member states with equal rights and responsibilities, you can't decide for them if they should give up on their rights because it is "not necessary" or doesn't provide you with significant benefit. It's their right and their prerogative.

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 12:05 AM   #11126
Skyline_

The demographic shift is terrifying. There won't be no Greece in the next century, the way things are going.
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
Old August 19th, 2014, 12:05 AM   #11127
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1191

Livigno (I) -> Pontresina (CH)
Swiss customs facility on Bernina Pass. This is already some kms into Swiss territory (I missed the Italian exit behind ...).
August 2014

1. They keep an eye on entering traffic, even at 2000 mts altitude

2. Border Guard service car; though the canton of Graubünden is predominantly German-speaking, it has three official languages (de, it, rm)

3. Lookin' back

SRC_100, Road_UK, Verso liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 12:08 AM   #11128
aubergine72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
When Schengen happened, there wasn't such a wave of immigrants. You can bet your behind that Greece would never have smelled Schengen today.
Old August 19th, 2014, 12:09 AM   #11129
aubergine72

Quote:

Bulgaria and Romania are member states with equal rights and responsibilities, you can't decide for them if they should give up on their rights because it is "not necessary" or doesn't provide you with significant benefit. It's their right and their prerogative.
I can decide since I'm from those countries
Old August 19th, 2014, 12:11 AM   #11130
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Quote:
Some people in Bulgaria wish it would leave the EU and join an alliance with Russia. So? Governments of Bulgaria and Romania have filed their requests to join Schengen (and there are no technical but only political issues left) and that's the only thing that matters.

Old August 19th, 2014, 12:12 AM   #11131
Skyline_

Quote:
Which one of them?
Old August 19th, 2014, 12:13 AM   #11132
aubergine72

Quote:
Some people in Bulgaria wish it would leave the EU and join an alliance with Russia. So? Governments of Bulgaria and Romania have filed their requests to join Schengen (and there are no technical but only political issues left) and that's the only thing that matters.
Sorry for daring have an opinion, comrade Stalin
Old August 19th, 2014, 12:18 AM   #11133
Skyline_

Is this the new Balkan war thread or something?
Old August 19th, 2014, 12:29 AM   #11134
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Is this the new Balkan war thread or something?
This has been a problem thread for years now.
Old August 19th, 2014, 12:31 AM   #11135
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
The problem with Schengen is being an outer border with Turkey and also bordering Greece which will provide an uninterrupted passage for illegals. Nothing to do with "not wanting" anyone in the EU. It's also used as a tool to combat corruption in those countries (not that Croatia is any better in that respect).
I did not get it. What does prevent illegal immigrants from taking plane in Greece and travel all around the Schengenland legally with no worries or need to even pull out their passports from bags?

Dont be ridiculous, the security of Schengen area does not stand on either Bulgaria or Romania refusal in it.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 12:31 AM   #11136
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Livigno (I) -> Pontresina (CH)
Swiss customs facility on Bernina Pass. This is already some kms into Swiss territory (I missed the Italian exit behind ...).
August 2014

1. They keep an eye on entering traffic, even at 2000 mts altitude

2. Border Guard service car; though the canton of Graubünden is predominantly German-speaking, it has three official languages (de, it, rm)

3. Lookin' back
Thank you Corvinus. I'm on my mobile now but you get a like when I get on my computer. This is what I want to see.
Old August 19th, 2014, 12:48 AM   #11137
aubergine72

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I did not get it. What does prevent illegal immigrants from taking plane in Greece and travel all around the Schengenland legally with no worries or need to even pull out their passports from bags?

Dont be ridiculous, the security of Schengen area does not stand on either Bulgaria or Romania refusal in it.
Money. Also they still have to go through security checks. May be requested identification, etc.

Think before typing.
Old August 19th, 2014, 12:58 AM   #11138
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Quote:
Sorry for daring have an opinion, comrade Stalin
Do I need to remind you what you wrote? You wrote "I can decide". What's that got to do with an opinion? You purported to be in the position to decide, and my reply still stands - there are many opinions across RO and BG but the Government is the one that actually decides. And their decision was to file a request to join the Schengen area. Various opinions have no bearing on this.

Old August 19th, 2014, 01:06 AM   #11139
aubergine72

You said I can't decide for them. Obviously I can't literally decide. What an inane thing to say to begin with. Since we can't decide hence say anything for our government, let's shut this forum down.
Old August 19th, 2014, 01:50 AM   #11140
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
The demographic shift is terrifying. There won't be no Greece in the next century, the way things are going.
Don't worry, that Greece has been there for like 4000 years, it will still be there another 4000 years
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways