daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2014, 07:34 PM   #11201
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I didn't know the CIS still existed.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

darko06 liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2014, 07:38 PM   #11202
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I didn't know the CIS still existed.
It does, but its crumbling. It is nothing more than a partnership between Russia and Belarus really. Georgia walked out a few years ago, and the Ukraine (even though a founding member) is a associated member only.

Penn's Woods, darko06 liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 07:55 PM   #11203
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
It does, but its crumbling. It is nothing more than a partnership between Russia and Belarus really. Georgia walked out a few years ago, and the Ukraine (even though a founding member) is a associated member only.
And Kazakhstan. Those three countries form the Eurasian Union. It's mostly an economical\custom union but it's also strongly politicized (i.e. it's an attempt by Putin to control some satellite states like the USSR used to control Warsaw Pact countries). For example, those countries are among the few in the world to recognize the Crimean referendum (the other are Venezuela, Cuba, North Korea, Syria and other minor).
Obviously, Georgia, the Baltic Republics and (part of) the Ukraine are strongly anti-Russian.
Two CIS members, Armenia and Azerbaijan, are technically still at war each other (though they aren't actively fighting, like the two Koreas).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 08:35 PM   #11204
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1746

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
And Kazakhstan. Those three countries form the Eurasian Union. It's mostly an economical\custom union but it's also strongly politicized (i.e. it's an attempt by Putin to control some satellite states like the USSR used to control Warsaw Pact countries). For example, those countries are among the few in the world to recognize the Crimean referendum (the other are Venezuela, Cuba, North Korea, Syria and other minor).
Obviously, Georgia, the Baltic Republics and (part of) the Ukraine are strongly anti-Russian.
Two CIS members, Armenia and Azerbaijan, are technically still at war each other (though they aren't actively fighting, like the two Koreas).
Actually something to wish to be part of.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 09:28 PM   #11205
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Thanks for discussing the border crossings.

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 09:39 PM   #11206
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Someone else brought up the CIS, in the context of who was able to use a given crossing; I asked a question about it; he answered it. If it was off topic, it was barely so, it wouldn't be the first time any discussion had gone off topic around here, and I for one don't see your name under the heading "relevancy police" on this forum.

(Now, that was off topic....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK, darko06 liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 09:45 PM   #11207
Road_UK
BANNED

He showed up a couple weeks ago, escalating this thread. But because he is a mod from out of town he gets away with it.

darko06 liked this post
Old September 2nd, 2014, 09:52 PM   #11208
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Someone else brought up the CIS, in the context of who was able to use a given crossing; I asked a question about it; he answered it. If it was off topic, it was barely so, it wouldn't be the first time any discussion had gone off topic around here, and I for one don't see your name under the heading "relevancy police" on this forum.

(Now, that was off topic....)
Don't worry, I was specifically targeting Road_UK who yelled at everyone on this thread for not narrowly discussing physical aspects of border crossing structures only. I actually argue that all aspects should be discussed such as whether a certain crossing is open to all nationalities and aspects of it.

Old September 2nd, 2014, 09:58 PM   #11209
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
Don't worry, I was specifically targeting Road_UK who yelled at everyone on this thread for not narrowly discussing physical aspects of border crossing structures only. I actually argue that all aspects should be discussed such as whether a certain crossing is open to all nationalities and aspects of it.
First of all I never said that, and second: you starting discussing politics on here. A lot of the regulars here agreed with me that we should go back to border crossings. But because this section is being moderated with double standards, you got away with it, and my request got deleted.

darko06 liked this post
Old September 3rd, 2014, 01:11 AM   #11210
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Is that seriously a "no coach and horses" sign there?
To maintain correct space-time continuum, may only have transport devices of adjacent generations in same area, so horse and coach can go along with cars, but when there are space shuttles, only cars allowed and nothing "older"

In Montreal, Canada there are several such "no coach and horses" signs, mostly to control tourist coach traffic to certain areas.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 08:13 AM   #11211
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
To maintain correct space-time continuum, may only have transport devices of adjacent generations in same area, so horse and coach can go along with cars, but when there are space shuttles, only cars allowed and nothing "older"

In Montreal, Canada there are several such "no coach and horses" signs, mostly to control tourist coach traffic to certain areas.
I the signs are installed due to possibility of a horse getting scared of noise.

Old September 3rd, 2014, 11:42 AM   #11212
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I the signs are installed due to possibility of a horse getting scared of noise.
Or more probably because they slow down traffic.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 12:16 PM   #11213
BL2
I bin a Wiena

Likes (Received): 1521

Quote:
And Schengen is an attempt by Merkel & CO to control some satellite states like the USSR used to control Warsaw Pact countries)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
+1
He is playing moderator all time telling people what to write, sending them off the thread if he didn't like what they were writing.

Last edited by BL2; September 3rd, 2014 at 12:23 PM.
BL2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 12:31 PM   #11214
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL2 View Post
And Schengen is an attempt by Merkel & CO to control some satellite states like the USSR used to control Warsaw Pact countries)
You mean EU. Schengen is just about free movement of people, rather than a political union. Now countries can whether to join EU. Warsaw Pact countries, instead, were assigned to the USSR after WWII and had not other choises. If they tried to free themselves and change, Russians sent their tanks, like in Czechoslovakia and Hungary (although Americans did the same in Chile and Granada and attempted to do the same in Cuba). The Cold War "equilibrium" estabilished that the USA and the USSR must control their sphere of influence and intervent militarily when a country attempted to change side. This was called Truman doctrine in the USA and Breznev doctrine in the USSR.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 12:41 PM   #11215
italystf

USA-Canada border between British Columbia and Alaska

The American village of Hyder is accessible only from Canada and borders the Canadian village of Stewart. So, it is a pene-enclave.
The border crossing has only Canadian staff. Between the twin villages there is a time zone change. Both currencies are used in the same area.

Road_UK, darko06 liked this post
Old September 3rd, 2014, 12:57 PM   #11216
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
USA-Canada border between British Columbia and Alaska

The American village of Hyder is accessible only from Canada and borders the Canadian village of Stewart. So, it is a pene-enclave.
The border crossing has only Canadian staff. Between the twin villages there is a time zone change. Both currencies are used in the same area.
There is a valley like that in Austria, called Kleinwalsertal, which by road is only accessible from Germany. You can only ski or hike to that valley from the rest of Austria. Before Schengen it used to be a part of the German customs and excise area.

Attus liked this post
Old September 3rd, 2014, 03:04 PM   #11217
volodaaaa

I've been brought up in Devinska Nova Ves, the municipality on the border between Austria and Slovakia. Some photos from pre-schengen era I took during my very later childhood.

This is not exactly my artwork, I've just flattened my photo from 2003 with scanned image from book (it said the photo was taken in 1987). It is literally the Iron Curtain. GSV

[IMG]http://i60.************/6s6loj.jpg[/IMG]

The signs displays "Attention! Country border! Installed circa 1990
[IMG]http://i61.************/mk93k7.jpg[/IMG]

The leftovers from Iron Curtain. Still present by now.
[IMG]http://i62.************/4uuat2.jpg[/IMG]

Confluence of river Morava and Danube by Devin Castle. The sign says "Attention, the country border runs through the center of the river". The similar photo (taken in winter), but better quality
[IMG]http://i62.************/aufm0j.jpg[/IMG]

BL2, verreme liked this post
Old September 3rd, 2014, 04:34 PM   #11218
BL2
I bin a Wiena

Likes (Received): 1521

Quote:
You mean EU. Schengen is just about free movement of people, rather than a political union. Now countries can whether to join EU. Warsaw Pact countries, instead, were assigned to the USSR after WWII and had not other choises. If they tried to free themselves and change, Russians sent their tanks, like in Czechoslovakia and Hungary (although Americans did the same in Chile and Granada and attempted to do the same in Cuba). The Cold War "equilibrium" estabilished that the USA and the USSR must control their sphere of influence and intervent militarily when a country attempted to change side. This was called Truman doctrine in the USA and Breznev doctrine in the USSR.
And CSI is same as Warsaw pact so countries do not choose to be part of it, they are assigned to CSi? Did I get it right?
BL2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 04:55 PM   #11219
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

I am not sure if this was posted, construction commenced on new crossing in Kadibogaz between Serbia and Bulgaria http://goo.gl/maps/jH9DC

[dailymotion]x21rm9u_postavljen-kamen-temeljac-za-granicni-prelaz-kadibogaz-19-jul-2014_news#from=embediframe[/dailymotion]

Old September 3rd, 2014, 06:53 PM   #11220
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 409

Voladaaa, do you have any knowledge as to why the Bratislava-Jarovce crossing on the D4 was only open to small trucks and cars?

I was reading through some old documents a while ago, and it seems that all heavy truck traffic was routed through Berg, even after Slovakia joined the EU.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways