daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2014, 07:16 PM   #11221
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Voladaaa, do you have any knowledge as to why the Bratislava-Jarovce crossing on the D4 was only open to small trucks and cars?

I was reading through some old documents a while ago, and it seems that all heavy truck traffic was routed through Berg, even after Slovakia joined the EU.
Are you sure you did not mean the old Jarovce-Kittsee crossing (not the motorway one)? Because yes, old Jarovce has been and is closed for heavy trucks, and the reason is simple - the road is narrow and the border crossing was tiny.

Even two cars heading to each other have problems to pass by. And the crossing was like a joke. I remember when I crossed in 2007 there was a tent with officer who was in charge of checking passports It definitely did not look like a border crossing but except missing trenches like war frontiers somewhere in Eastern Ukraine. I'm trying to find a photograph, but only have found the post-schengen one.

The reason of that was simple: heavy cars to Berg, passenger cars to Kittsee.

So imagine a tent there until I look for the older photo.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2014, 07:33 PM   #11222
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

No, not the small Jarovce one, but the one on the D4. I'll try and find the document - it says that the D4 Jarovce crossing was only open to trucks weighing no more than 7.5t. The only thing I can think of is that they didn't want trucks going through Kittsee, as the Austrian A6 wasn't open yet? But still, strange, especially when you consider how poor the infrastructure was at Berg as opposed to the main Jarovce D4 crossing.

http://www.turus.net/fotostrecke/ima...pe=img&id=5168 - Austrian crossing at Kittsee.

http://www.turus.net/fotostrecke/ima...pe=img&id=5171 - Slovakian crossing at Jarovce.

I think the small Kittsee/Jarovce crossing was A/SK only until 2004 as well?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 08:37 PM   #11223
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
No, not the small Jarovce one, but the one on the D4. I'll try and find the document - it says that the D4 Jarovce crossing was only open to trucks weighing no more than 7.5t. The only thing I can think of is that they didn't want trucks going through Kittsee, as the Austrian A6 wasn't open yet? But still, strange, especially when you consider how poor the infrastructure was at Berg as opposed to the main Jarovce D4 crossing.

http://www.turus.net/fotostrecke/ima...pe=img&id=5168 - Austrian crossing at Kittsee.

http://www.turus.net/fotostrecke/ima...pe=img&id=5171 - Slovakian crossing at Jarovce.

I think the small Kittsee/Jarovce crossing was A/SK only until 2004 as well?
The Kittsee argument is invalid, because the temporary road D4 - Kittsee ended on the road from Berg:-\ there are still leftovers present. perhaps it could have something to do with A6 construction.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 10:02 PM   #11224
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16175

Were there any issues back in 2007 with airports across new EU member states regarding conforming to Schengen rules? Were there any terminals that were late in implementing the technical side of things?

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 11:14 PM   #11225
arp2012

Likes (Received): 1270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
That still does not answer his question whether the crossing is open to everyone or not.
I used that Georgia-Russia border crossing twice in 2011 and saw SUVs with Polish plates using it.
arp2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #11226
pai nosso

Likes (Received): 4051

Vilar Formoso [Portugal] / Fuentes de Ońoro [Spain] -- August of 2014

1-

2-

3-

Source: pai nosso

broken0099 liked this post
pai nosso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #11227
zsmg

Likes (Received): 1202

Nice weather. :p Any plans to take down the border booth.
zsmg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #11228
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

How a checkpoint to a closed Russian city looks like - http://goo.gl/maps/YUsJf

WB2010, verreme liked this post
Old September 4th, 2014, 07:09 PM   #11229
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsmg View Post
They took down the booths but not the roof.
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #11230
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Norway, Finland, Russia Tripoint!

"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/

Road_UK, cinxxx, los77, geometarkv, SRC_100 liked this post
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #11231
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Is that you in that picture?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #11232
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Is that you in that picture?
No. I don't look like this bloke at all.
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #11233
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsmg View Post
Yeah but I guess it will take a while.

Last five motorway kilometres in Spain until the border remain to be built.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 03:15 AM   #11234
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
Were there any issues back in 2007 with airports across new EU member states regarding conforming to Schengen rules? Were there any terminals that were late in implementing the technical side of things?
Quite a few airports actually still don't comply as far as I know. For example, Chania Airport in Greece - there are no transfers there, so all arrivals go through the area for passport control - although there is obviously no control for Schengen-originating flights.

But having said this, I have a feeling that Schengen doesn't demand separated areas and so on. The only requirement is that passengers aren't subjected to a passport check on departure or entry - but that can be easily accomplished by having passport control taking place at the gate, such as in Tegel or Schoenfeld airports.

Even in the worst case scenario, they could just shift non-Schengen flights to a part of the terminal that can be easily barricaded off with passport controls.

From a political point of view, I've always thought the major problem with Schengen is the poor execution of controls by countries such as France. The internet is full of reports from people arriving on flights from places such as New York and not even meeting an immigration officer - which I think is absolutely unacceptable.

Singidunum liked this post
Old September 5th, 2014, 03:40 AM   #11235
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Kick France out of Schengen.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 04:29 AM   #11236
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Quite a few airports actually still don't comply as far as I know. For example, Chania Airport in Greece - there are no transfers there, so all arrivals go through the area for passport control - although there is obviously no control for Schengen-originating flights.

But having said this, I have a feeling that Schengen doesn't demand separated areas and so on. The only requirement is that passengers aren't subjected to a passport check on departure or entry - but that can be easily accomplished by having passport control taking place at the gate, such as in Tegel or Schoenfeld airports.

Even in the worst case scenario, they could just shift non-Schengen flights to a part of the terminal that can be easily barricaded off with passport controls.

From a political point of view, I've always thought the major problem with Schengen is the poor execution of controls by countries such as France. The internet is full of reports from people arriving on flights from places such as New York and not even meeting an immigration officer - which I think is absolutely unacceptable.
There are no immigration officers in France. Border checks are being carried out by the police and customs. And especially customs are very thorough in France.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 05:48 AM   #11237
aubergine72

Quote:
The internet is full of reports from people arriving on flights from places such as New York and not even meeting an immigration officer - which I think is absolutely unacceptable.
I find this very hard to believe.
aubergine72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #11238
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_ View Post
Norway, Finland, Russia Tripoint!

The middle picture is not taken at the tripoint, but at the Raja-Jooseppi border station about 65 km to the SSW.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #11239
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubergine72 View Post
I find this very hard to believe.
CDG seems to be notorious for it - if you look on airliners.net and flyertalk, there are constant comments there about not getting stamped in or immigration even being non-existent.

For me, I find it hard to trust the Schengen system as long as many countries don't even conduct a so-called 'minimum check' on travellers.
Old September 5th, 2014, 11:14 AM   #11240
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Quote:
So what happens in Chania when two flights arrive at the same time, from Amsterdam and Moscow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
There are no immigration officers in France.
I believe that was used colloquially as in English speaking countries the control on arrival is usually considered immigration control while in continental Europe it is considered merely an identity check, perhaps with a few hybrid cases like the Netherlands, hence the "passport control" as it's a place where they check the validity of documents and identities of passengers, they are not considered immigrants until proven otherwise as in the UK. In Serbian the colloquial name for people carrying out passport control is "customs officers" and even though they've got nothing to do with Customs.

Tags
highways, motorways