daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 11th, 2014, 08:53 AM   #11341
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
It doesn't stop there. According to yesterday's London Evening Standard 1 in 5 Londoners want London to be independent from the UK.
So it has started the same way as Scotland.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:04 PM   #11342
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
but... is Indonesia-Malaysia-Brunei the only island in the world with three countries?
Depending on the definition of a country, there might be Cyprus.
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:30 PM   #11343
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Depending on the definition of a country, there might be Cyprus.
Besides the two countries (one de jure), that island includes also two British Oversea territories and the UN buffer zone:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akrotiri_and_Dhekelia
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Last edited by italystf; September 11th, 2014 at 11:40 PM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #11344
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Besides the two countries (one de jure), that island includes also some British Oversea territories:
Yes, that's what I meant.

In addition to the Republic, the (disputed) Turkish Republic and the UK, there is also a UN controlled buffer zone, but since no one claims UN a country in itself (not even itself), I didn't count that.
Old September 12th, 2014, 12:16 AM   #11345
italystf

The Cypriot buffer zone has the anomaly to not belong to any country. The whole Earth landmass can be divided into countries, dependencies, oversea territories, disputed areas,... Is this the only land that belong only to UN?
Even the Korean DMZ is split between the two countries, with the Demarcation Line that acts like a border.
I think that nobody lives in the Cypriot buffer zone, but if someone would born or die there, or if a crime or accident happens there, which country will be competent on this case?

Closer maps of British bases in Cyprus:

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old September 12th, 2014, 01:05 AM   #11346
aubergine72

Bir Tawil between Egypt and Sudan.
aubergine72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 01:40 AM   #11347
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
The Cypriot buffer zone has the anomaly to not belong to any country. The whole Earth landmass can be divided into countries, dependencies, oversea territories, disputed areas,... Is this the only land that belong only to UN?
Even the Korean DMZ is split between the two countries, with the Demarcation Line that acts like a border.
I think that nobody lives in the Cypriot buffer zone, but if someone would born or die there, or if a crime or accident happens there, which country will be competent on this case?
Well the buffer zone, as with Northern Cyprus de jure is a part of the Republic of Cyprus and I presume therefore that the Republic of Cyprus authorities would deal with that.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 09:32 AM   #11348
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubergine72 View Post

And some areas on the Croatian side of the Danube (which at that point is the Croatia/Serbia border). Google shows the Croatian-claimed border, while the actual one, which Serbia claims, is in the middle of the river. Since both lines cross each other, there are four patches of land in the Croatian side in the same situation as Bir Tawil.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 10:41 AM   #11349
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
And some areas on the Croatian side of the Danube (which at that point is the Croatia/Serbia border). Google shows the Croatian-claimed border, while the actual one, which Serbia claims, is in the middle of the river. Since both lines cross each other, there are four patches of land in the Croatian side in the same situation as Bir Tawil.
Bit Tawil was recently claimed by an American man who proclaimed the Kingdom of North Sudan and nominated himself as king and his 7-years-old daughter as princess. He actually went there and planted a flag!
http://www.vox.com/2014/7/14/5898465...ry-north-sudan
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...on-egypt-sudan
It will become another Pincipality of Sealand.

Kanadzie liked this post
Old September 12th, 2014, 10:42 PM   #11350
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubergine72 View Post

Or this.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 10:47 PM   #11351
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18739

Quote:
The Cypriot buffer zone has the anomaly to not belong to any country. The whole Earth landmass can be divided into countries, dependencies, oversea territories, disputed areas,...
Hmm... Antarctica?
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 11:22 PM   #11352
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Which mean that a lot of people in the Americas can get an European (and Schengen) passport quite easily. Is that decision really a wise one?
No, it's a ridiculous one.

I knew people around the world that could vote in general elections because they were citizens. They had never lived in Italy though, but happened to have an Italian grandparent, usually.

I could not vote, despite having been part of Italian society for more than 20 years, as Italians can vote in another country only if registered in special electoral rolls for those living abroad.

Verso liked this post
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 11:34 PM   #11353
Primoz2004

Likes (Received): 6

What is the official name of the HR-BA border crossing on the state road 39 and in which country is it located? In the bosnian and croatian Official Journals it is called Prisika on bosnian side and Aržano in croatian side, but looking at google streetwiev from south the last settlement is the village of Prisika before the border crossing. There is also a traffic sign with the number of the road 16.3 - 2 km before the border crossing in the direction of Bosnia and Hercegovina. In front of the offices of the border control, where the croatian flag is hoisted, there is the table with bosnian coat of arms and name of border crossing Prisika.
Is the actual bordercrossing already on the territory of Bosnia and Hercegovina? In which country is Prisika? Confusing...
Primoz2004 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2014, 05:11 PM   #11354
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

Quote:

Closer maps of British bases in Cyprus:

By the way, I remember reading something about a planned closure of those bases. Any development?
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2014, 07:42 PM   #11355
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primoz2004 View Post
What is the official name of the HR-BA border crossing on the state road 39 and in which country is it located? In the bosnian and croatian Official Journals it is called Prisika on bosnian side and Aržano in croatian side, but looking at google streetwiev from south the last settlement is the village of Prisika before the border crossing. There is also a traffic sign with the number of the road 16.3 - 2 km before the border crossing in the direction of Bosnia and Hercegovina. In front of the offices of the border control, where the croatian flag is hoisted, there is the table with bosnian coat of arms and name of border crossing Prisika.
Is the actual bordercrossing already on the territory of Bosnia and Hercegovina? In which country is Prisika? Confusing...
Prisika is village in BIH. yes, border crossing booth is after the village, deep in BIH teritory. first Croatian village after the border is Aržano.
Old September 15th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #11356
volodaaaa

are there any photos from Ukraine - Crimea borders? I am just curious how does it look.

Old September 16th, 2014, 12:31 AM   #11357
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Italy (close to Verrucchio) -> Ventoso (RSM)
September 2014

cinxxx, volodaaaa, Palance liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 12:55 AM   #11358
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16167

New crossing Bosnia-Croatia at Gradiska renders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww87 View Post
Objavljen javni poziv za izgradnju graničnog prelaza Gradiška

Uprava za indirektno oporezivanje BiH objavila je javni poziv za izvođenje radova na izgradnji Graničnog prelaza Gradiška - Faza I.

Izgradnja podrazumjeva pripremne radnje, izgradnju donjeg stroja i polaganje hidroinstalacija, mašinskih i elektro instalacija.

Procijenjena ukupna vrijednost ugovora bez PDV-a je 7.264.958 KM.

Rok za prijem ponuda je 21.10.2014. godine.

Kako je eKapija.ba ranije pisala u cilju realizacije ovoga projekta izvršena je eksproprijacija zemljišta i pribavljene su neophodne dozvole za gradnju.

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 01:00 AM   #11359
volodaaaa

Is it even necessary to build such borders? Just curious regarding Schengen ambitions. We had built several border crossings near Bratislava in second half of 90s that have remained unmanned since 2007. Now they are neglected and looking like ugly memorial for wrong spent money.

Old September 16th, 2014, 01:12 AM   #11360
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16167

Well it'll be a long time before Bosnia joins Schengen and the new highway is connecting Bosnia to E70 at Gradiska so there will certainly be a need for a high capacity crossing.

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways