daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 2nd, 2014, 07:39 PM   #11461
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
Do you realize that Portugal, in absolute terms, is poorer than Slovenia or Czech Republic?
Well in Serbia police cars are Peugeot 307 and in Slovenia i think that police cars are Opel Astra G so obviously police cars are more expensive in Serbia which is much poorer then Slovenia...
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2014, 08:19 PM   #11462
kreden

Likes (Received): 589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
Well in Serbia police cars are Peugeot 307 and in Slovenia i think that police cars are Opel Astra G so obviously police cars are more expensive in Serbia which is much poorer then Slovenia...
There are plenty of different police cars in Slovenia, nowadays most are Škoda Octavia Mk1 and 2, Renault Megane III, Ford Focus, VW Touareg, etc.
kreden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2014, 08:52 PM   #11463
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3445

Quote:
Do you realize that Portugal, in absolute terms, is poorer than Slovenia or Czech Republic?
what does it have with Nissan Leaf?
Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:02 PM   #11464
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Inspector Lewis (on the British TV series of that name) drives a nice, shiny, full-size BMW when he's on duty. If I were a British taxpayer, I'd have questions to ask about that.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Kanadzie liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:40 PM   #11465
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Inspector Lewis (on the British TV series of that name) drives a nice, shiny, full-size BMW when he's on duty. If I were a British taxpayer, I'd have questions to ask about that.
The majority of high performance police cars in England are donated by the manufacturers. Your bog standard 'pandas' are sold to the police forces at about 25% of normal prices.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:46 PM   #11466
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Well, that's all right then.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 2nd, 2014, 11:34 PM   #11467
Fern

Likes (Received): 1942

Quote:
What are those absolute terms? GDP per capita in PPP? GDP per capita is not the same as wealth (both countries are still behind in wealth per capita, particularly the Czech Republic at only half). If you're looking for the actual (or absolute if you will) wealth produced in a country in a year that would be real GDP.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 01:45 PM   #11468
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
German police cars are mainly BMW's...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 02:45 PM   #11469
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Well, if they're donated.... That hadn't occurred to me.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 3rd, 2014, 02:55 PM   #11470
Road_UK
BANNED

Courtesy of German taxpayers...
Old October 3rd, 2014, 02:59 PM   #11471
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Quote:
So? International bids are called for police vehicles. Long gone are the times when all Italian police cars were Alfa Romeo...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 03:02 PM   #11472
Road_UK
BANNED

Cute little Fiat Punto's with one blue light on the roof. Are they still about?
Old October 3rd, 2014, 03:06 PM   #11473
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Recommend you the semi-documentary film: The Belgrade phantom. It took place in late '70s as a guy on white Porsche Targa let himself being chased by Yugoslav Police (on old zastavas).

Quote:
Belgrade, Yugoslavia, 1979. While Yugoslav president Tito is in Cuba settling international matters, a mysterious Phantom occupies the attention and hearts of Belgrade. Every night, he exhibits spectacular driving maneuvers using a stolen white Porsche car through the city streets. Through the radio the Phantom publicly challenges the police to try and catch him. More than 10.000 people are in the streets supporting their hero. The police are forced into a game where he sets the rules. The Phantom becomes a political threat. What started as a game turned into a political scandal and remained a myth that would never be forgot.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0810089/

Alex_ZR liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 03:39 PM   #11474
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Courtesy of German taxpayers...
How, um, un-austere of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
So? International bids are called for police vehicles. Long gone are the times when all Italian police cars were Alfa Romeo...
The price (again, not knowing they were donated) was the issue. As the context might have indicated.

("So?", indeed.)

Quote:
Jeremy Clarkson could recommend particular models of Lamborghini or Ferrari.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 3rd, 2014, 04:04 PM   #11475
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3445

Quote:
Grande Puntos yes. not sure for older models though. but they were always in Polizia livery, I don't remember them in Carabinieri livery.

on the other side, Carabineri were always separated in 2 groups: 1. sexy mid-size Alfa Romeos (155, 156, 159) 2. Fiats (in the sense of Carabinieri - crapy vehicles: Brava, Marea, new Bravo). probably a they deserved it

volodaaaa liked this post
x-type está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 05:17 PM   #11476
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
This is mandatory according to EU laws about free competition. The state, as public administration, can't choose his suppliers, but it has to do international bids, open at least to EU-based companies.
In Italy until the early 1990s free competition principes were quite ignored (with public administration having an absolute power and growing corruption), until EU started making pressure.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:37 AM   #11477
TommyLopez

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
What are those absolute terms? GDP per capita in PPP? GDP per capita is not the same as wealth (both countries are still behind in wealth per capita, particularly the Czech Republic at only half). If you're looking for the actual (or absolute if you will) wealth produced in a country in a year that would be real GDP.
GDP per capita is the main economic measure, after a few months living in Lisbon I really couldn't find that "wealth"...
TommyLopez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #11478
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
No, I'm not looking for anything that would dilute the main fact that Portugal is a poor country, hence it does not (fortunately) buy expensive police cars.

Mind you, this is a shameless show-off:

TommyLopez liked this post
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 08:54 PM   #11479
Fern

Likes (Received): 1942

Having BMW 5 series for police cars is a waste. Nissan Leafs were purchased as urban patrol cars for being eco friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyLopez View Post
GDP per capita is the main economic measure, after a few months living in Lisbon I really couldn't find that "wealth"...
Economic measure of what exactly? We were discussing wealth and as such it isn't the main and best indicator of the population's actual wealth and income.

Perhaps after a few months you still don't know Lisbon very well (not saying by any means that Lisbon with on par with cities such as London)
Old October 5th, 2014, 09:28 PM   #11480
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Sorry for the OT, but "expensive" police cars are not always a "waste of money" -the lease deal may have more advantageous conditions, the final price being actually lower than for cheaper cars. It's happened more than once in Spain: the police buying low-end cars despite a BMW/Mercedes offer being cheaper, just for image issues.

Tags
highways, motorways