daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 24th, 2014, 06:28 AM   #11721
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Nothing at all.
Citizens can buy anything in Andorra and come home without customs. They are barely 100 people and it is cheaper not to make any control.

Anyway, workers in Os de Civis must pay taxes in Spain (there are restaurants and a hotel) and goods sold may have VAT.

If you search the border...not only there aren't booths but also no country edge signal.

By the way... San Marino, Monaco and so on haven't many booths at all

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2014, 10:05 AM   #11722
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
[IMG]http://i60.************/24me4b7.jpg[/IMG] About time we went back to Balkan borders! This is the petrol station in Gabela Polje. What makes this petrol station strange is that it's located entirely in Bosnia, but accessible only from Croatia.
Does it accept Croatian kuna?

Послато са ZTE Blade Q Mini уз помоћ Тапатока
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 10:18 AM   #11723
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Nice question.

Does anyone have the answer?

If I had to make a I guess I would bet that they would accept any currency...

Old November 24th, 2014, 11:10 AM   #11724
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Nothing at all.
Citizens can buy anything in Andorra and come home without customs. They are barely 100 people and it is cheaper not to make any control.

Anyway, workers in Os de Civis must pay taxes in Spain (there are restaurants and a hotel) and goods sold may have VAT.

If you search the border...not only there aren't booths but also no country edge signal.

By the way... San Marino, Monaco and so on haven't many booths at all
That lack of a border sign is peculiar, I wonder why? As for San Marino - I think they have an agreement with Italy relating to goods like cigarettes and alcohol, so the taxation is similar. Maybe someone can clarify for certain, but I'm under the impression that fiscally, San Marino isn't like Andorra. And isn't Monaco in a Customs Union with France, so no need for fiscal controls? As for the petrol station - yep, they accept Kuna.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 11:12 AM   #11725
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

[IMG]http://i62.************/28i7tia.jpg[/IMG] - another view of the petrol station. As far as I understand it, the border runs along the different coloured asphalt, so the station is entirely in Bosnian territory. I'm sorry that I didn't get better pictures of the area!
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 12:05 PM   #11726
moderntm

Likes (Received): 973

Turkmenistan-Iran border. Sergey Dolya

Verso, zsmg, koszatek, Palance, Wolfowitsch and 1 others liked this post
moderntm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 12:13 PM   #11727
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

In this map you can see Os de Civis is a Periclave. The only way to arrive there is crossing Andorra from anywhere in Spain.
There is a treatment where citizens (address on ID card or passport) and emergency cars (firemen, ambulances) have free pass on customs providing they will turn left three kilometres away. Policemen and military forces aren't allowed to cross Andorran territory.
Nevertheless, passport controls are barely made either in Spanish, French or Andorran sides (and if they have an emergency, they will be Andorran services who will arrive first). This means... in fact nothing changes.

You can reach there... not trekking but almost high mountain crossing the Pyrenees. In a blog I read that once police needed to arrive there... they used a helicopter due to they aren't allowed to cross Andorra and it is easier and cheaper to go by helicopter rather than an off-road car (and impossible six months per year).

Anyone there will pay Spanish taxes. This is... anyone working in any business (it is a small village but they have tourism) will be taxed in Spain and considered to all efects as it.
At the same time, any goods SOLD there will have Spanish taxes (VAT).
Obviously for tobacco and alcohol no special taxes apply there. It is cheaper to let them consum anything without paying taxes than having officers in the border.

But... they can only consum goods there. If they buy anything and wanna go to Spanish mainland the only way is returning Andorra and crossing the main custom booths border to Spain (where you will have to declare anything).

If you go high-mountaining will several goods it can be considered as smuggling (and quite easy to detect who's moved in a quite controlled border over mountains).

Border?

Just have a look.

Here you are a CG-6 sign post which means it is in Andorra.
Ahead you have a light green pannel about a natural park which means it is Catalonia (therefore Spain)

In the middle you have a non-Schengen border...

https://www.google.es/maps/@42.49506...-uWClic96Q!2e0

Old November 24th, 2014, 12:57 PM   #11728
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

There are two poles without a sign right at the point where the border is. I guess there was a sign but someone took it away - and no one put a new one there.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 01:41 PM   #11729
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
That lack of a border sign is peculiar, I wonder why? As for San Marino - I think they have an agreement with Italy relating to goods like cigarettes and alcohol, so the taxation is similar. Maybe someone can clarify for certain, but I'm under the impression that fiscally, San Marino isn't like Andorra. And isn't Monaco in a Customs Union with France, so no need for fiscal controls? As for the petrol station - yep, they accept Kuna.
Fiscal relations between Italy and San Marino are not that good. Italy erased San Marino from its list of tax havens, written in 1999, only in 2014.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 02:48 PM   #11730
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
In this map you can see Os de Civis is a Periclave. The only way to arrive there is crossing Andorra from anywhere in Spain.
There is a treatment where citizens (address on ID card or passport) and emergency cars (firemen, ambulances) have free pass on customs providing they will turn left three kilometres away. Policemen and military forces aren't allowed to cross Andorran territory.
Nevertheless, passport controls are barely made either in Spanish, French or Andorran sides (and if they have an emergency, they will be Andorran services who will arrive first). This means... in fact nothing changes.

You can reach there... not trekking but almost high mountain crossing the Pyrenees. In a blog I read that once police needed to arrive there... they used a helicopter due to they aren't allowed to cross Andorra and it is easier and cheaper to go by helicopter rather than an off-road car (and impossible six months per year).

Anyone there will pay Spanish taxes. This is... anyone working in any business (it is a small village but they have tourism) will be taxed in Spain and considered to all efects as it.
At the same time, any goods SOLD there will have Spanish taxes (VAT).
Obviously for tobacco and alcohol no special taxes apply there. It is cheaper to let them consum anything without paying taxes than having officers in the border.

But... they can only consum goods there. If they buy anything and wanna go to Spanish mainland the only way is returning Andorra and crossing the main custom booths border to Spain (where you will have to declare anything).

If you go high-mountaining will several goods it can be considered as smuggling (and quite easy to detect who's moved in a quite controlled border over mountains).

Border?

Just have a look.

Here you are a CG-6 sign post which means it is in Andorra.
Ahead you have a light green pannel about a natural park which means it is Catalonia (therefore Spain)

In the middle you have a non-Schengen border...

https://www.google.es/maps/@42.49506...-uWClic96Q!2e0
Maybe it's problematic since Andorra isn't in EU, but why they cannot sign an agreement to allow transit of Spanish police vehicles through Andorra, of course without stopping on Andorran territory?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #11731
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Fiscal relations between Italy and San Marino are not that good. Italy erased San Marino from its list of tax havens, written in 1999, only in 2014.
There have also been several instances of Italian police and military vehicles caught crossing into San Marino. Sammarinese "gendarmeria" forces them to turn back. The drivers either didn't know it was forbidden or didn't notice the border, since there are many unmarked local roads who cross into San Marino.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #11732
zsmg

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
There have also been several instances of Italian police and military vehicles caught crossing into San Marino. Sammarinese "gendarmeria" forces them to turn back. The drivers either didn't know it was forbidden or didn't notice the border, since there are many unmarked local roads who cross into San Marino.
Maybe they're just practising for a Crimea style take over.

Penn's Woods liked this post
zsmg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 05:32 PM   #11733
BL2
I bin a Wiena

Likes (Received): 1555

Quote:
Nice question.

Does anyone have the answer?

If I had to make a I guess I would bet that they would accept any currency...
they would accept everything
BL2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 06:02 PM   #11734
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18306

When I was in the Mostar area, except in supermarkets, I could pay in Bosnian marks, Euros or Croatian Kuna.
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #11735
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3445

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
When I was in the Mostar area, except in supermarkets, I could pay in Bosnian marks, Euros or Croatian Kuna.
that is widely possible in BIH. however, they are avoiding it in last years.
(also exchange rate while paying with EUR or HRK is horrible because it's not official in those cases as in banks or exchange offices)
Old November 24th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #11736
BL2
I bin a Wiena

Likes (Received): 1555

It is accepted in border areas, farther you go from Croatia it disappears.
BL2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 08:05 PM   #11737
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

I paid EUR in 2009. Had been warned about the exchange rate but it was equal everywhere. It was 1 Mark = 0,5 Eur.

Btw. the most easiest way is to use debt/credit card and withdraw the money from ATM. I took 60 Marks, bought some souvenirs, had a lunch and the rest gave away to family as a souvenir.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #11738
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Mark/Euro was always 1:2.
About HRK, I read the rate is not the best. Still I paid ones with EUR and HRK together at a restaurant
Old November 24th, 2014, 10:11 PM   #11739
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Mark/Euro was always 1:2.
About HRK, I read the rate is not the best. Still I paid ones with EUR and HRK together at a restaurant
The other way around.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #11740
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Yes

Tags
highways, motorways