daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 3rd, 2014, 06:54 PM   #11841
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1749

Actually, I am not sure. But my classmate's mum had been driving czech plated cars until 10 years ago. She had Slovak citizenship. Although she had diplomatic corps passport.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2014, 07:18 PM   #11842
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

You can drive any car that is registered in an EU country. Of course if you move from one EU country to another you have to change the registration within a certain time, it depends on the single country, some has 6 months, Austria for example 1 month. Of course if the car belongs to a company for which you work, you keep the plate of the residence of the country. It happens that some people abuse and don't care to change the registration of the car, also because that EU country where they move don't care to check too much. Austria allows you to keep the license of another EU country, but you have to pay the Austrian car taxes.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 10:41 PM   #11843
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Incorrect.

It's A12 (B) - A4 (NL)

And I'm also pretty sure that picture was posted in this thread earlier.
Or was that the Roadside rest area / NL highway thread / BE highway thread?
It was on BE highways thread.

keokiracer liked this post
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 12:40 AM   #11844
maarteen

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
is that allowed? you have some special permit for that?
I don't think so, because that one was rental car from SIXT, i rent it from Amsterdam for 3 months contract, but they gave me a Germany License Plate Car....lol
maarteen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 01:07 AM   #11845
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
In Spain it is!!!.
Once I knew a German citizen who had a German driving licence. He had been living in Spain for 10 years and always used his German licence.

He said he was used to hear comments from police about the licence because his address was in Spain. He always said the same answer: in which law it says I am not allowed to drive?.
And once he said to an officer that no problem if he got fined because that reason. He would complain saying that all was in rule and saying that they should give more training to that officer numer (in the fine you have the officer number) because he didn't knew any law at all.

I asked why he didn't change the licence because it is free. He replied me that... he didn't want!!!
Providing he changed it, he would have to pass a medical test every 10 years and it is not free at all. Nothing to do with a German licence
In Canada the car registration and driver license is by province. By law if you move to another province, you have to switch within 90 days... the only exception, if you're a student. It can be annoying, they require always a mechanical inspection of the car
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 02:58 AM   #11846
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

You don't have regular inspections anyway? They're annual in Pennsylvania.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 03:14 AM   #11847
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

You can always drive back to the area where your vehicle is originally registered. Here in Mayrhofen a lot of German, Dutch and English people who live here all year round keep their original plates on their cars, which is technically illegal, but it's so hell expensive here in Austria to keep a vehicle on the road, and they drive back once or twice a year anyway, so they have their cars inspected then.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 03:33 AM   #11848
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
You don't have regular inspections anyway? They're annual in Pennsylvania.
Typically no inspection unless car is brought into the province from outside and is used. But it's dumb - move from Ottawa to Hull with a 3 year old car, inspection, but if you buy a 20 year old car in Hull, no inspection ever been done on it

Ontario also has an inspection when used cars are sold, and an emissions test in any place in Ontario you'd want to live in (waste of money and time )

Amusingly I still have Penndot inspection stickers on my convertible...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 11:24 AM   #11849
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
You can always drive back to the area where your vehicle is originally registered. Here in Mayrhofen a lot of German, Dutch and English people who live here all year round keep their original plates on their cars, which is technically illegal, but it's so hell expensive here in Austria to keep a vehicle on the road, and they drive back once or twice a year anyway, so they have their cars inspected then.
So Austrian police bother only Slovak drivers near Bratislava?
As many Slovaks have bought a house in Austria because it is few km from the center of Bratislava, the Austrian police make checks if they pay their road taxes. Of course it is not easy to prove that you live there, especially if the Slovaks keep residence in Slovakia. Also they cannot oblige to pay their road taxes if the car is registered to a company.
Old December 4th, 2014, 01:41 PM   #11850
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
As many Slovaks have bought a house in Austria because it is few km from the center of Bratislava, the Austrian police make checks if they pay their road taxes. Of course it is not easy to prove that you live there, especially if the Slovaks keep residence in Slovakia. Also they cannot oblige to pay their road taxes if the car is registered to a company.
Have not heard a case. Slovaks living in frontier region usually keep their original residences due to administrative obstacles. I really don't like it, but they do it.

Old December 4th, 2014, 03:51 PM   #11851
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
A British friend of mine got a warning once. You do have to be extra careful when keeping your Austrian residency as a "Hauptwohnsitz". They can never check if you keep your vehicle in this country at all times anyway. And Austrian law doesn't apply in England, Holland or Germany - as much as they would like to.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 05:37 PM   #11852
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
are there Slovaks living in Austria? when I was at the trip to WIen and Bratislava, our guide told us that it was vice-versa, so Austrians went to live to Slovakia due to cheaper costs of life. dunno how much truth tough there is about it.
Old December 4th, 2014, 05:46 PM   #11853
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

Yes, there are many Slovak families living in border villages of Austria and Hungary. The houses in these villages are cheaper than their counterparts in Bratislava suburbs that are approximately same distance from the center. Austrians even made a documentary about it.
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #11854
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

Many Romanians keep their RO plates abroad, even here in Germany.

The best way to do this and not to get in trouble with local police (although as many wrote above, they can't really do anything), is to have the car registered to your parent, and get a legal order from the parent to drive it. And since you normally drive ones or twice home, you can do your inspections, pay the insurance, etc (cheaper costs then here)
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #11855
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigic View Post
Yes, there are many Slovak families living in border villages of Austria and Hungary. The houses in these villages are cheaper than their counterparts in Bratislava suburbs that are approximately same distance from the center. Austrians even made a documentary about it.
Quite common the Polish-German border too. If you go to Gorlitz, the buildings closest to the border are usually occupied mostly by Poles as property is actually cheaper on the German side. A friend actually bought an apartment in Gorlitz, and because the economic situation there is so dire, they were able to persuade the seller to sell in Zloty as opposed to Euro.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #11856
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Latest find - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOspSd0Pn3Y - the start of the video shows what appears to be the Croatian/Bosnian border crossing during the war. The UN blocks found at Zeljava (still!) are being used in the video, so it's possible that this really is the border crossing.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 12:22 AM   #11857
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16174

A Tour Of Europe's Eerie Abandoned Border Crossings That The E.U. Made Obsolete

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!

bogdymol, zsmg, SRC_100 liked this post
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 12:29 AM   #11858
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
I crossed this one in 2012, it looked exactly like that. I wonder why they don't remove them and make the road free-flow through the border. I like European borders marked only with a blue sign with stars and another one with the general speed limits.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Singidunum liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 12:40 AM   #11859
volodaaaa

I don't know why... but it kind of fascinates me... Hegyeshalom - Nickeldorf in particular. It was one of the most important and perhaps most desired-to-be-crossed border. And the current ruins, broken windows, rusty columns, silence and peace are the evidence, the strange age is finally over.

I've passed it several times, especially in autumn and always stopped there just to stare at the old building imagine Eastern Europeans full of expectations waiting there, being in stress whether they can take a peek behind the horrible iron curtain.

I was very young, but I experienced something similar at Berg in late 90s. But it was already after the fall of communism and Berg border was not that important. I felt the fear of officers, they were scary, strict and spoke in different language. If we managed to pass the borders, we found ourselves in a different world, the grass was greener, sky bluer. I remember how they sent a woman with her son back to Slovakia, because she had outdated passport. Poor woman, they could not wait to see a seashore and were sent back after 15 mins of sitting in bus.

That age is over. Now I go biking to Austria, they have the same shops as we have here (which is quite boring), and currently there is no police booth at the crossing. Just sign with European flag. It is much better now.

Penn's Woods liked this post

Last edited by volodaaaa; December 6th, 2014 at 12:49 AM.
Old December 6th, 2014, 12:56 AM   #11860
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

When I went to relatives in Macedonia with my parents a few years ago, we realised that my passport was expired, so my cousin had to drive me back all the way from Preševo.
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways