daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2014, 01:37 AM   #11861
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Taken from the same page, Somport pass

Picture is spotted in Spain and looking towards France.

As it can be seen, there are several crosses just close to the border
https://www.google.es/maps/place/Hot...4c0e03d8238f70

(that one in the picture it the former road that crosses a ski resort and today, main road avoid it)

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)

SRC_100 liked this post
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2014, 05:42 AM   #11862
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

That could make some very nice apocalypse budget movie if we want or a Chernobyl and Pyiapat like documentaries in 30 years
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 12:42 PM   #11863
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I don't know why... but it kind of fascinates me... Hegyeshalom - Nickeldorf in particular. It was one of the most important and perhaps most desired-to-be-crossed border. And the current ruins, broken windows, rusty columns, silence and peace are the evidence, the strange age is finally over.
Yes, it's absolutely surreal to visit some of these facilities. For instance, they still use the old Slovak buildings at Rajka (sorry, don't know the name on the Slovak side...) for the truck tolling system, and there's some incredibly creepy buffet still in operation there. Yet the place is more or less empty - you can see how busy it would have been a mere 10 years ago, but now, dead.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 05:26 PM   #11864
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I crossed this one in 2012, it looked exactly like that. I wonder why they don't remove them and make the road free-flow through the border. I like European borders marked only with a blue sign with stars and another one with the general speed limits.
It's complex. In 2007 Austria was not quite happy about Hungary entering Schengen. Many roads that connected A-H were blocked by Austrian authorities. And completely removing border crossing stations like Hegyeshalom-Nickelsdorf was against Austrian intentions. They might have hoped the border will be closed, or at least controlled again soon.
And even Hungary had doubts. Of course we were happy about open borders but many people and even politicians thought it was possible to change again, the border might be controlled again.
7 years passed, Austria full of Hungarians, in Eastern Austria it is hard to find a restaurant where the waiter is not Hungarian, even in Vienna you have good chances in fast food restaurants even if you cant' speak a single word German. Trains from Sopron (Hungary) to Vienna ar full of daily commuters. Yes, we all now thing can change again, but the intention for / fear of making the border controlled again soon passed away. So it's time for removing all those old, abandoned buildings.
Hungary has the clear intention to do it in 2015 in Hegyeshalom and probably in every border crossing.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #11865
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

I think some buildings should be preserved. Memorials are important to show younger generations what freedeom means.
Old December 6th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #11866
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
cant'
I would have laughed if it hasn't been me that wrote such a crap thing :-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 05:57 PM   #11867
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Yes,but that old building reminds old people how hard it was to cross that border.

bozenBDJ liked this post
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #11868
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Soon there won't be a lot of people left who will remember. But they'll know.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 06:01 PM   #11869
MichiH

Yes, older people remember bad times. Preserving buildings as memorial means renovate them etcetera so that they look better. Less scary.
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 07:17 PM   #11870
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16174

So why didn't they leave blown up buildings all over Rotterdam to remind people who didn't see it?

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 08:08 PM   #11871
Road_UK
BANNED

Because nobody wants to live in them.
Old December 6th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #11872
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I don't know...does a run-of-the-mill border crossing* have the same significance for "freedom" as the Berlin Wall does?

*with the possible exception of facilities that used to be part of the Iron Curtain

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 08:25 PM   #11873
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Churchill supposedly suggested not rebuilding Ieper/Ypres*, leaving the ruins as a reminder.

*Sorry, Flemings...it really is known in English as Ypres, at least in historical contexts. Sometimes pronounced "wipers"!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 6th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #11874
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I don't know...does a run-of-the-mill border crossing* have the same significance for "freedom" as the Berlin Wall does?
Berlin is far away* from Bratislava, Vienna and Budapest... Run-of-the-mill = 08/15? Yes, Berlin Wall is a common/everyday building too. The grey concrete looks terrible.

*European distance, not American...
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #11875
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I don't feel "un-free" at having to stop for a few minutes and answer a few questions when crossing into, or out of, Canada. Irritated, yes. But comparing Saint-Bernard-de-Lacolle to Checkpoint Charlie seems...exaggerated.

The Austro-Hungarian border...was part of the Iron Curtain, but I'd think a pre-1989 checkpoint with a bit of barbed wire and an appropriate exhibit would be a better memorial than an empty building dating to the awful, freedom-infringing days when you had to - gasp - show your passport and change currencies between Tournai and Lille.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

piotr71 liked this post
Old December 6th, 2014, 09:03 PM   #11876
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Because nobody wants to live in them.
And who lives in abandoned border crossing booths? That's the whole point, if we justify leaving derelict falling apart border crossing infrastructure as a reminder of bad times behind us, why not leave reminders of war as well? Some cities do, there is that church in Berlin and that building in Hiroshima, but mostly cities don't do that.

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #11877
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
And who lives in abandoned border crossing booths? That's the whole point, if we justify leaving derelict falling apart border crossing infrastructure as a reminder of bad times behind us, why not leave reminders of war as well? Some cities do, there is that church in Berlin and that building in Hiroshima, but mostly cities don't do that.
And Malaysia have the stupid mega ad board at the malaysia-singapore causeway at the former checkpoint in the city of Johor Bahru. (The new one is on the hill above Johor Bahru called Iskandar CIQ.)
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 07:25 AM   #11878
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
War monuments are scattered all over Rotterdam, so people will always know. An abandoned border station - well if it's not in the way they could turn it into a museum or something. On the former Germany-Germany border they've got many little reminders still in tact. These big border stations are turned into motorway service areas now, but you still see the watch towers and loads of other little reminders, and I think they'll leave them there.

Verso, Attus, SRC_100, putzi__ liked this post
Old December 7th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #11879
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Here, near Valtice, on Czech republic - Austria border, they made a msueum of the iron curtain, using the former border staton infrastructure:

https://www.google.it/maps/@48.73841...oPJVTY2nhA!2e0

Verso, SRC_100 liked this post
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #11880
WB2010

Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:

What a great example of the famous German precision: "Here Germany and Europe were divided until the 18th November 1989 at 6 o'clock"

Tags
highways, motorways