daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2014, 08:08 AM   #11901
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87680

Tijuana (Left) - San Diego (Right)

Zona Norte y Garita Internacional by WalterWalle, on Flickr

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2014, 08:33 AM   #11902
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Mexico and USA

The Border (MEX-USA)
by sam.fernandez1972, on Flickr

DSC00625
by memory almost full, on Flickr

Old December 11th, 2014, 08:44 AM   #11903
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Aditional pics of the border

DSC00633
by memory almost full, on Flickr

"La frontera que intenta dividir al mar. Frontera TIJUANA-SAN DIEGO" Foto:El Lemus by El Lemus, on Flickr

Old December 11th, 2014, 08:25 PM   #11904
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestvaran View Post
Where the heck have you been driving Why didn't you cross the border at Šćepan Polje?
It's not my video
Old December 13th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #11905
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

West Berlin - GDR border from Feb. 1990 (with GDR still an independent state), taken from this youtube video.
Border location is in the south of Berlin, the road is B96a.

1. Right in front of the actual border line, with a gate and the Wall visible in the background. The viewer is standing on a viewing platform, which were common in West Berlin back then.

2. Looking into the GDR from the platform. Border facilities are not visible from this distance (at least not in the video still).

3. On the left side of the road, the classical "You are leaving the American sector" sign. And a decent-looking house right in front of the wall (what a nice view from its upper storey into the GDR's Todeszone!).

4. Another view standing on the road, viewing platform at right

5. The border facilities, I guess some 500 mts into GDR territory. In 1990, not only were East Germans allowed to cross into the West, also travel formalities of West Berliners and West Germans into the GDR were further simplified.

cinxxx, piotr71, Verso, Alqaszar, SRC_100 liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #11906
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Former border crossing Ogrodniki (PL) / Lazdijai (LT) [or more precisely Hołny Mejera (PL) - Akmėnai (LT)]
I made this pic last year, but nothing has changed since then. It has changed in 2012 though. A 2,2km bike path has been made on the Polish side & Warsaw has been added on the first distance sign in the Polish territory.

See on the right side the characteristic "Rzeczpospolita Polska - Granica Państwa" roadsign and on the left this enormous stone with "Lietuvos Respublika"

Don't forget to switch your clocks when crossing the Polish / Lithuanian border! It's very easy to forget that when crossing it at 70km/h which is the speed limit on the first 2 km on each side in this place Same as between Spain & Portugal

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Alex_ZR, piotr71, SRC_100 liked this post

Last edited by GROBIN; December 14th, 2014 at 12:10 AM.
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 12:26 AM   #11907
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

This pic has been taken at the beginning of my 2012 trip by bike from Poland to Croatia, between Chochołów (PL) and Suchá Hora (SK). Note that the first roadsign in Slovakia looks as if "SLOVENSKÁ REPUBLIKA" were a built-up area and not a country I would think the speed limit is 50km/h if I wouldn't know what "SLOVENSKÁ REPUBLIKA" means !

A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

piotr71, SRC_100 liked this post

Last edited by GROBIN; December 14th, 2014 at 12:32 AM. Reason: added Google Maps link
Old December 14th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #11908
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

This one ... well, I don't know if we can still talk about a border crossing You can see Pickuny (Піцкуны) (BY) from Norviliškės (LT).

N.B.: If you come to Lithuania by car, it's a characteristic place with a castle, a wooden Zakopane-style church and ... a Polish cemetery just at the border with Belarus! At some occasions, the inhabitants of the Belarusian side assist to the messes that are given from the Lithuanian side !
I believe the priests sleep over here

Corvinus, SRC_100 liked this post
Old December 14th, 2014, 01:02 AM   #11909
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4004

Everything at that spot was Poland until September 1939:

http://i.imgur.com/AnWfP.png

Even Vilnius, Lithuanian capital today, was Polish and known as Wilno.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 12:57 PM   #11910
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Everything at that spot was Poland until September 1939:

http://i.imgur.com/AnWfP.png

Even Vilnius, Lithuanian capital today, was Polish and known as Wilno.
In order to reply to you, Alex_ZR, I'll have to be a bit off-topic Sorry for the others.
Actually you're right. When looking at the pre-war statistics I discovered Lithuanians in Wilno (now Vilnius) were around 1% and only one church in the city gave messes in Lithuanian. There were a couple of times more Jews and there were more Belarusians at that time. Even in Kaunas - the pre-war Lithuanian capital - you had around 40% of Poles. I don't know why some people strongly deny that here. It is as if Poles denied pre-war Breslau (now Wrocław) was German ...
Instead of denying such facts, Lithuanians should highlight them! It makes this region far more interesting for tourists, wherever they are from and the Lithuanian Republic is the one that shall gain!
I cannot understand - for instance - that when going to the Medininkai castle, Poles are barely mentioned in the expo (Belarusians - not at all).
Additionally, how do you want to attract tourists to such remote locations if everything is only in English & Lithuanian (no Russian, no Belarusian, no Polish)? Especially that these are lands that changed their owners a couple of times, which makes their touristic potential much higher!
Fortunately, the young generation (at least those with whom I work, which are educated people) has got a completely different approach of such matters. More European, less nationalistic.

Nowadays - if I remember well - in the Vilnius region there are around 60% of Poles (around 20% in Vilnius). ... And apparently in Norviliškės messes are given in Polish. Unfortunately, I didn't have the chance to see one "live". However, in Senieji Trakai, Medininkai and Eišiškės I had the occasion to enter churches during messes (which were all in Polish - with the Vilnius accent )

Back on topic
Yesterday, btw, I went to Medininkai. There was an enormous queue of trucks, but ... maybe 2 cars waiting to enter Belarus ...
This week I had a very interesting conversation with a colleague from Marijampolė. He told me that before moving to Vilnius, he went very often to buy food in Suwałki. Not because of the prices, but because everything tastes different over there. He told me Poles do the same on the other way round Same echo between Sejny and Lazdijai after talking with local people.

Alex_ZR, WB2010, Kanadzie liked this post

Last edited by GROBIN; December 14th, 2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old December 14th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #11911
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
5. The border facilities, I guess some 500 mts into GDR territory. In 1990, not only were East Germans allowed to cross into the West, also travel formalities of West Berliners and West Germans into the GDR were further simplified.
If I recall correctly, travel formalities were eased for West Germans and West Berliners just before Christmas in 1989. One thing I've never quite found out is whether or not West Germany guarded all border crossings with East Germany after endless new crossings opened up, or whether they just operated West Berlin style random checks. As for Lithuania above - isn't a permit required to visit the border zone?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 12:24 AM   #11912
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Meanwhile on the Se/Fi border, worlds first international highrise building just started construction. You will be able to cross the border at the 20th floor in the Quality Hotel Barents.

Borderline runs in the centre of the canal.

piotr71, Road_UK, Verso, Suburbanist, GROBIN and 4 others liked this post
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 02:35 AM   #11913
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

The bar will be on the Finnish side?

Verso liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 10:11 AM   #11914
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Meanwhile on the Se/Fi border, worlds first international highrise building just started construction. You will be able to cross the border at the 20th floor in the Quality Hotel Barents.
Borderline runs in the centre of the canal.
Haparanda is a small town profiting very well on its location on the border.
Haparanda with a population of only 4 856 inhabitants has a wide range of shops and hotels for its small size.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 12:11 PM   #11915
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
A lot of interesting legal issues are in the pipeline, I think.

The shared bus terminus was opened about earlier this year. The corner closest to the border lies about 20 meters from the border, in Sweden. The Finnish bus cargo company Matkahuolto faced VAT-related issues, and had to register a subsidiary in Sweden.

The other way round, the Finnish bus trips originating or terminating at the Swedish side, are international traffic, and therefore free of VAT. The length of the route in Sweden is about 60 meters, but that guarantees the VAT-free status to the whole trip, regardless its length.

Drawbacks exist, too. It is illegal for dogs to cross the border without a certificate about worm treatment. And soldiers are not allowed to cross the border in uniforms. Dogs and soldiers must leave the bus at the last stop in Finland.

piotr71, riiga, GROBIN liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 09:27 PM   #11916
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
(...)

Drawbacks exist, too. It is illegal for dogs to cross the border without a certificate about worm treatment. And soldiers are not allowed to cross the border in uniforms. Dogs and soldiers must leave the bus at the last stop in Finland.
Good one ! So many decades these countries have got very good relations and they're still afraid of each other's dogs & soldiers Sounds really surrealistic!

Back to border crossings. As I do not necessarily have pics of these (left them on my former computer in France), I'll show you on Google Street View:
1) Medininkai (LT) - Kamienny Łoh (Каменны Лог) (BY) - but not on the A3 / M7 (E28) road When I went there, last year, I thought "hmmm ... what about if someone crosses this border driving 200km/h ?
2) Ureliai (LT) - Hraŭžyški (Граўжышкі) (BY), very close to the one between Norviliškės and Pickuny. I wonder whether it works or not.
3) Actually, this is a river border crossing. Between Piedruja (LV) and Druja (Друя) (BY). Interestingly, I found out quite recently that before WWII, it was the border between Latvia and ... Poland. Perhaps this explains the presence of a Polish population on the Latvian side ? (Daugavpils)
4) Adutiškis (LT) - Kruki (Крукі) (BY). I'm not sure I saw it on this forum. This is a very strange place, where the Haduciški (Гадуцішкі) train station (formerly Adutiškis) is on the Belarusian side due to a territorial dispute between both countries after the independence from the USSR. AFAIK, the station is now closed.
5) Vištytis (LT) - Maloje Bieloziernoje (Малое Белозерное) (RUS). Interesting when you look towards the border and when you turn back
6) Szczurkowo (PL) - Poddubnoje (Поддубное) (RUS) - no road leading to the border, but you can see it for a couple of km from the Polish side.
7) This is really a place where you don't feel you're crossing a border - it's between Linhartovy (CZ) and Lenarcice (PL) on the Opavice / Opawica river. On the Czech side - a castle. On the Polish side, a football pitch. I've been there 3 years ago and I only noticed I was in Poland because of the green roadsigns on the Polish side, after around 800m. There's no "Rzeczpospolita Polska" sign.
8) Velké Kunětice (CZ) - Sławniowice (PL) - I was quite confused when driving here.

Old December 15th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #11917
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
Good one ! So many decades these countries have got very good relations and they're still afraid of each other's dogs & soldiers Sounds really surrealistic!
The regulations related to importing dogs to Finland are in place to protect the country from Echinococcus multilocularis. They have been in effect since 2012 after Sweden got contaminated.

I think it is a universal practice that soldiers in uniforms do not cross the borders unless specially agreed. In this case, this practice is somewhat an exaggeration.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #11918
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

All over Europe, there are these protocols for military travel. Soldiers don't go to other countries with their uniforms as they please, only if on some mission or organized formal travel.

Same goes for other law enforcement uniforms.
Old December 16th, 2014, 11:27 PM   #11919
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Where TF did you get that info? There's military uniform travel beween Germany and UK/Belgium/France/Holland on public transportation all the time. I know because I used to be one of them.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 11:47 PM   #11920
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Maybe that comes under MattiG's "unless specially agreed"?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways