daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 24th, 2014, 04:46 PM   #11981
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Wouldn't Cyrillic be more usual?

And transliterating a person's name...I've never seen that from one Latin-alphabet language to another.
At that time, usage of Latin script in Serbian language was promoted by the official regime. Serbian language is phonetic, so we transliterate foreign names.
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2014, 05:26 PM   #11982
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
And transliterating a person's name...I've never seen that from one Latin-alphabet language to another.
Then ask the Hungarians about that
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #11983
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Csauseszku?
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2014, 06:53 PM   #11984
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Csauseszku?
I must say your Hungarian spelling is perfect :-)
Writing this name so is absolutely wrong, though. In Hungary family names were never transliterated. What used to be very common (but is no more in use and sounds very archaistic) is change name order and use a Hungarian exonym of given names.
Note that in Hungary names are used in reversed order relative to most of Western languages: family name first, given name last. So e.g. the current prime minister's name is "Orbán Viktor", but writing in English/German/etc. the order is usually reversed and is written as "Viktor Orbán" in order to avoid misunderstandings.
Before World War II foreign names were usually written in reversed order in Hungary, family name first, given name last. Additionally, given names were used in a Hungarian version. E.g. your previous president's name would have been used as "ifj. Bush György" where György is the Hungarian equivalent of George, and ifj. means Jr.
So the late Romanian president would have been called as "Ceausescu Miklós" if he lived some 50 years earlier.

nbcee, Penn's Woods, Bogdy, bozenBDJ liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #11985
BL2
I bin a Wiena

Likes (Received): 1523

Quote:
Acctually it wouldn't especially in YU time.
Quote:
Normally people do not brag about ignorance.
BL2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2014, 07:57 PM   #11986
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Unbelievable.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2014, 08:11 PM   #11987
Road_UK
BANNED

A unique video of one of the most controversial border crossings in the world. A South Korean unification activist crossed the border into North Korea illegally to speak with authorities.

Now: On the North Korean side of the border at the DMZ there is a bit of a party going on, as this activist receives flowers and cheers from government officials and supporters. The South Korean security and police are watching on their side of the border, waiting for him to step across so he can be arrested for illegally entering North Korea. As soon as he crosses the border he gets arrested by South Korean officials, under loud protest of the North Koreans on their side of the border. Also the North Korean guards are unable to do anything but look as the activist is being taken away.

piotr71, GROBIN, Verso, Rombi, Alqaszar liked this post
Old December 24th, 2014, 10:10 PM   #11988
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL2 View Post
Normally people do not brag about ignorance.
That was uncalled-for.
(And "ignorance" about what, frankly?)

Merry Christmas to you, too.

Reported.
And welcome to my "ignore" list. So to speak.

Road_UK liked this post
Old December 24th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #11989
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
A unique video of one of the most controversial border crossings in the world. A South Korean unification activist crossed the border into North Korea illegally to speak with authorities.

Now: On the North Korean side of the border at the DMZ there is a bit of a party going on, as this activist receives flowers and cheers from government officials and supporters. The South Korean security and police are watching on their side of the border, waiting for him to step across so he can be arrested for illegally entering North Korea. As soon as he crosses the border he gets arrested by South Korean officials, under loud protest of the North Koreans on their side of the border. Also the North Korean guards are unable to do anything but look as the activist is being taken away.

Good for the North-Korean regime propaganda, to show how the North-Korean regime is nice and liberal and the South-Korean regime is repressive ...

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2014, 10:57 PM   #11990
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3993

Quote:
That was uncalled-for.

Merry Christmas to you, too.

Reported.
And welcome to my "ignore" list. So to speak.
I think that he doesn't celebrate Christmas tomorrow.
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2014, 11:25 PM   #11991
aubergine72

Quote:
That was uncalled-for.
Serbian is a phonetic language and one letter corresponds to one sound. This is a source of enormous pride for Serbians. Not sure why, but it is. So, your questioning of this practice must have hurt BL2's feelings.
aubergine72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #11992
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
I think that he doesn't celebrate Christmas tomorrow.
January 7, then?

Alex_ZR liked this post
Old December 25th, 2014, 01:07 AM   #11993
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
I must say your Hungarian spelling is perfect :-)
Writing this name so is absolutely wrong, though. In Hungary family names were never transliterated.
oh, really?
Old December 25th, 2014, 01:26 AM   #11994
Bogdy

Likes (Received): 10088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Note that in Hungary names are used in reversed order relative to most of Western languages: family name first, given name last. So e.g. the current prime minister's name is "Orbán Viktor", but writing in English/German/etc. the order is usually reversed and is written as "Viktor Orbán" in order to avoid misunderstandings.
Romanians from Transylvania also use the Hungarian order: name first, and given name. It's an instinct. In the rest of the country, the order is: given name and family name. When I introduce myself I use Hungarian order

Mitteleuropa by train

djole13 liked this post
Bogdy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2014, 11:31 AM   #11995
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogdy View Post
Romanians from Transylvania also use the Hungarian order: name first, and given name. It's an instinct. In the rest of the country, the order is: given name and family name. When I introduce myself I use Hungarian order
It's the same in Bavaria but not generally in Germany. China, Japan and Korea begin with family name too.... So, it's quite common.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_...king_countries
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2014, 02:51 PM   #11996
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
There is a "POZOR! Statni hranice" sign, also there are border stones.

Yes, a very discrete sign. On the Polish side, no "Rzeczpospolita Polska - Granica Państwa" sign.

Actually the village is signed
https://maps.google.pl/maps?q=Mladko...,50.38,,2,1.05
You misunderstood me (or maybe I wasn't clear ). There is no roadsign directing to any village across the border

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
No change in road lay-out, signs and language?
Sorry I've only noticed your comment to my post only now.
Of course, on both sides of the border you've got different roadsigns. However, on neither side of the border you've got any sign directing you to any village across the border. In his specific place, the border between Poland and the Czech Republic looks like a small car-park outside a curve (from the Czech side) or almost like a dead-end road (from the Polish side).

And as I've noticed only now also the pics of the Serbian-Romanian border, I cannot help myself asking how is Tito nowadays seen from former Yugoslav republics. If you believe this is not the place to talk about it, you an reply to me in a PM.

Quote:

Try Lithuanian or Latvian Two languages written in Latin alphabet which transliterate every single person's name.
- Adam Mickiewicz - the famous Polish poet - becomes Adomas Mickevičius (Lithuanian) or Ādams Mickēvičs (Latvian).
- Bill Clinton becomes respectively Bilas Klintonas or Bills Klintons,
- Harry Potter becomes respectively Haris Poteris and Harijs Poters, etc.
- The funniest part about Lithuanian is with places like Caracas or Las Vegas - which already have an "as" at the end ... but it's not enough (Karakasas or Las Vegasas)

I remember at the end of the 90s during a visit of Tony Blair in Albania they showed on French TV Albanian newspapers with a big headline "Bler" Do Albanians still transliterate?

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Road_UK liked this post
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2014, 03:20 PM   #11997
BL2
I bin a Wiena

Likes (Received): 1523

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubergine72 View Post
Serbian is a phonetic language and one letter corresponds to one sound. This is a source of enormous pride for Serbians. Not sure why, but it is. So, your questioning of this practice must have hurt BL2's feelings.
not at all and that was not question but statement.
BL2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2014, 03:36 PM   #11998
OulaL

In Latvian foreign names are also transliterated, even those using Latin alphabets.
Old December 25th, 2014, 06:33 PM   #11999
stickedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
I remember at the end of the 90s during a visit of Tony Blair in Albania they showed on French TV Albanian newspapers with a big headline "Bler" Do Albanians still transliterate?
Yes! There are some great street names in Tirana you have to think about before understanding Bulevardi Zhan D'Ark
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #12000
Road_UK
BANNED

Just to let you know that one thread got locked already because of all this Slavic language bullshit. Just sayin....

Tags
highways, motorways