daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 10th, 2015, 10:42 AM   #12101
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Yeah, in the North Korea
:

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2015, 11:55 AM   #12102
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Seriously, I get the impression that the lack of a national ID card is yet another instance where some Continentals think "Anglo-Saxons"* are backwards and incomprehensible.
And consistent, too. We bloody foreigners say that UK is the largest outdoor museum in Europe.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #12103
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
But how many people carry ID on a local train in the middle of Spain?
Almost every Spanish with it uses to carry it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Isn't carrying an ID compulsory?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
By law, in Spain it is compulsory to carry the ID card always.
And because international treatments it is enough with it to travel anywhere in the EU and more countries. Therefore few people have a passport.

(for instant I am fed up about the situation that in any form I'll fill I have to write the ID number whilst more important than given name...)
No, it's not, you don't need to carry it.

"No es obligatorio llevar siempre el DNI, pero el ciudadano tiene la obligación de identificarse ante cualquier Agente de la autoridad que así lo requiera, pudiendo hacerse esta identificación con cualquier otro documento que satisfaga al Agente (pasaporte, libro de familia, etc.).9 Si bien, si no se puede realizar esta identificación de forma satisfactoria, los Agentes pueden requerir al ciudadano que les acompañen a dependencias donde sea posible practicar las diligencias necesarias para su identificación.9 Negarse a identificarse ante un Agente de la autoridad o se negarse a hacer voluntariamente dichas diligencias podría ser constitutiva de infracción administrativa o, en su caso, infracción penal de los artículos 634 y 556 del Código Penal.9"

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documen...tidad#Historia

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 02:08 PM   #12104
pai nosso

Likes (Received): 4050

Quote:
By law, in Spain it is compulsory to carry the ID card always.
And because international treatments it is enough with it to travel anywhere in the EU and more countries. Therefore few people have a passport.

Also in Portugal!

For driving, you need too have your Identity Card and your Driver`s License.

At all times you need to have your Identity Card, because if you don`t and any police force ask for your ID and you don`t have it you win a trip to the local police station and you may loose hours of your life till the police can identify you!!

Quote:
(for instant I am fed up about the situation that in any form I'll fill I have to write the ID number whilst more important than given name...)
Very true!!

For instance, my ID number and my fiscal number i already know by heart!!
pai nosso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 02:35 PM   #12105
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

In Italy it's not mandatory to carry your ID always with you. However, I prefer to keep it always in my wallet, so I avoid forgetting it when I may need it.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 03:15 PM   #12106
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aokromes View Post
No, it's not, you don't need to carry it.

"No es obligatorio llevar siempre el DNI, pero el ciudadano tiene la obligación de identificarse ante cualquier Agente de la autoridad que así lo requiera, pudiendo hacerse esta identificación con cualquier otro documento que satisfaga al Agente (pasaporte, libro de familia, etc.).9 Si bien, si no se puede realizar esta identificación de forma satisfactoria, los Agentes pueden requerir al ciudadano que les acompañen a dependencias donde sea posible practicar las diligencias necesarias para su identificación.9 Negarse a identificarse ante un Agente de la autoridad o se negarse a hacer voluntariamente dichas diligencias podría ser constitutiva de infracción administrativa o, en su caso, infracción penal de los artículos 634 y 556 del Código Penal.9"

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documen...tidad#Historia
Well OK you don't need to carry it but you will be brought to the police station for identification if you don't, for most sane people that sounds like you have to carry it especially if out of town where that wouldn't be a one hour formality but an ordeal.

But then again how often do police randomly stop people and ask for ID? Is it a common thing in Spain?

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 03:52 PM   #12107
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
And consistent, too. We bloody foreigners say that UK is the largest outdoor museum in Europe.
Isn't all of Europe a sort of medieval theme park?

(Albeit one with really good food? Well, except the UK.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Singidunum liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 04:13 PM   #12108
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Well OK you don't need to carry it but you will be brought to the police station for identification if you don't, for most sane people that sounds like you have to carry it especially if out of town where that wouldn't be a one hour formality but an ordeal.

But then again how often do police randomly stop people and ask for ID? Is it a common thing in Spain?

On roads it is quite weird. Last time I remember I was stopped there was a terrorism attack that month.
And on the street I've never been stopped.

But for instance, if I wanna pay with a credit card, I must identify myself...

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 04:19 PM   #12109
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

In the U.S., your driver's license functions as a de facto ID card for other circumstances. So much so that some if not all states offer "non-driver photo IDs" for people who want an ID but don't drive.

I've never (I believe) had to show ID to pay with a credit card; in fact, a credit card itself can function as ID. ("May I see your driver's license and a major credit card?") I think they'll ask for a credit card (or license) if you want to pay for something with a check, but I never pay for merchandise with checks....

ADDED:
There was a little problem for people from New Jersey (like my parents) after 9/11. New Jersey had the quirk of issuing driver's licenses without photos (they'd just describe the person - eye color, height...) So when you suddenly needed photo ID to get into, say, government buildings it was a problem. New Jersey started offering photos as an option and I'd guess it's standard now.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 06:02 PM   #12110
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

In my case, ID card and driving licence fits on standard credit cards lengths. Therefore I always have together the ID card and the credit card 'cos 90% times I use them, I...use both at the same time.

In fact having the driving licence is enough for almost everything (even for voting) but people remains carrying their ID.

In addition it is enough the ID card for all EU and some other countries (and conversely they can come with only the ID card, not the passport).

What I do not understand is why they do not joint Id card and driving licence because they are released by the same administration.

Old January 10th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #12111
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Actually, I don't know whether it is obligatory in Slovakia, but I feel comfortable with my ID, DL, VRC card, insurance card and credit card in my wallet. Sometimes I sporadically decide to travel to Austria and perhaps it would be bad to have nothing to put forward.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 09:42 PM   #12112
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16174

Losing your wallet would be a nightmare.

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 10:07 PM   #12113
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
What I do not understand is why they do not joint Id card and driving licence because they are released by the same administration.
The same question is often raised in Finland. The response is that the EU driving license does not display the nationality.

Changing important things in EU does not happen quickly, while all crazy initiatives will be put in place without any delay.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 10:27 PM   #12114
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
why they do not joint Id card and driving licence because they are released by the same administration.
Usually, but not always. For example I have a Hungarian ID and a German driver license.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 10:29 PM   #12115
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:

Losing your wallet would be a nightmare.
Yes, it is. It happened to me once. Luckily I had my passport at home so at least I had that single document.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 04:25 AM   #12116
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I've never (I believe) had to show ID to pay with a credit card; in fact, a credit card itself can function as ID.
Due to the increase in fraud with cloned credit cards, many retailers are asking to see ID on credit card purchases to make sure that the name on the credit card slip matches the name on the ID. Some credit cards have photographs but that's of no help when the information in the magnetic strip belongs to someone else.
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 06:01 AM   #12117
El Tiburon

As Penn's Woods said in a previous post, in the United States, driver licenses and state ID cards (for non-drivers) are the most common forms of official identification. The federal government issues passpots and passport cards (good only for land or sea travel to Canada, Mexico, Caribbean and Bermuda) for U.S. citizens. Resident alien (green) cards, work permits and refugee travel documents are issued to legal foreigners. Most states also issue concealed weapon licenses to teir residents, though in a couple of states is legal to carry a gun without the need of a license..

The requirements to carry identification vary state by state. You have to carry your driver license while driving and your concealed weapon license when carrying guns. But in most places, you can verbally identify yourself if walking. Police are not supposed to stop you without reasonable suspicion of the commission of a crime though plenty of cops do it to people who don't know their rights. In any event, police have access to databases with photographs and extremely detailed personal information on most everyone, so they can readilyverify any information provided and, now, some police departments install apps in their officers' phones that can scan and run fingerprints and do face recognition.

In 2005, taking advantage of the post-9/11 hysteria, Congress passed the so-called "Real ID" Act which is nothing more than a back-door scheme to turn state driver licenses into national ID cards, something that liberty-minded Americans have resisted for many years to avoid the "Papers, please!" system typical of nazi Germany and communist countries. The act requires that states issue so-called "enhanced" driver licenses or ID cards and obtain social security numbers, birth certificates/passports/ommigration documents, and proof of where you actually reside through deeds, utility bills, etc. before 2018 or, else, people with non-Real ID-compliant licenses will not be able to use them to enter federal buildings or board airplanes. Valid passports (U.S. or foreign) are acceptable ID's for those purposes. The act was passed under the pretext of protection from terrorists and illegal aliens who, however, are not allowed to have driver licenses under the act anyway, so there are no records, information or photographs of them, yet, they can board planes or enter federal buildings with their valid foreign passports, which shows that the act is really aimed at cintrolling, and keeping tabs on, Americans and legal foreign residents.

In addition to those ID's for the general public, there are military ID's for servicemen and specialty ID's for workers in airports, seaports and critical infrastructure facilities with much more stringent requirements than general-use ID's.

Last edited by El Tiburon; January 11th, 2015 at 06:11 AM.
Old January 11th, 2015, 06:15 AM   #12118
El Tiburon

Quote:
Could be just mindless bureaucratism or a scheme of the politicians to charge you fees twice.
Old January 11th, 2015, 09:31 AM   #12119
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

There are different type of data noted on each card. And don't forget driver's licence categories with date of issue and expiration. I know ale those data could be stored on chip, but to be honest, there are still lot of services that require you to put forward your documents and have not got any chip reader.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 04:38 PM   #12120
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tiburon View Post
Could be just mindless bureaucratism or a scheme of the politicians to charge you fees twice.
Much more crazy!!!. There are several official documents (incluiding, for instance, the health system card) but ID card, passport and driving licence are issued by home office (ministerio del interior).

Tags
highways, motorways