daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 11th, 2015, 08:16 PM   #12121
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3906

In the US I've experienced annoying situations resulting from the lack of a proper identification. I was there as an exchange student when I was 21, and although I could legally buy alcohol and therefore I could enter bars and restaurants without restrictions, I had to carry my Spanish passport at all times. Every time I tried to show proof of my age with my Spanish ID Card or My Spanish Driving License, I was refused access to the premises where alcohol was served (even though I could have just ordered a coke!). I found that paranoid, especially taking into account that a passport doesn't fit into a wallet, and being a man I wasn't carrying a purse or a handbag where it could fit. As a result I had to carry it at all times in my pocket, just in case I wanted to buy a beer or simply have dinner in a restaurant that also had license as a bar. After a semester, the letters on the cover of the passport displaying "Spain" had faded, so now my passport must be opened to check its nationality.

But the most annoying situation happened to an Italian friend of mine. We went to a local coffee shop one day, and some of us ordered a beer pitcher (I assume it was a coffee shop with alcohol license). The waitress asked us for our IDs in order not only to give us the pitcher, but also the exact number of glasses. The majority of us were obediently carrying our European passports, but she did only carry her Italian ID card. She was 23 at that time, but the waitress refused to give her a glass, warning us that we would be all expelled from the premises if she caught my Italian friend drinking from somebody's glass! Seriously, this is ridiculous.

In addition, some European friends of mine had also trouble with another ID related issue. In most European countries the date of birth is shown dd/mm/yyyy, while in the US it is shown mm/dd/yyyy. Therefore, a Spanish friend of mine who had been born on January 8 was mistakenly identified as being born on August 1. And, precisely, I went with her to the US in April of the year she had turned 21. Try to tell a supermarket cashier when buying a beer that in Europe we write the dates in a different way...

Besides that, I had a great experience in the US.

Bertolt Brecht

Kanadzie, riiga, bogdymol liked this post
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2015, 08:26 PM   #12122
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

BTW, to my best knowledge there is a recommendation of UN to write the month in letters instead of numbers and, supossing it is on numbers, use dd/mm/yyyy

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 09:14 PM   #12123
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
In the US I've experienced annoying situations resulting from the lack of a proper identification. I was there as an exchange student when I was 21, and although I could legally buy alcohol and therefore I could enter bars and restaurants without restrictions, I had to carry my Spanish passport at all times. Every time I tried to show proof of my age with my Spanish ID Card or My Spanish Driving License, I was refused access to the premises where alcohol was served (even though I could have just ordered a coke!). I found that paranoid, especially taking into account that a passport doesn't fit into a wallet, and being a man I wasn't carrying a purse or a handbag where it could fit. As a result I had to carry it at all times in my pocket, just in case I wanted to buy a beer or simply have dinner in a restaurant that also had license as a bar. After a semester, the letters on the cover of the passport displaying "Spain" had faded, so now my passport must be opened to check its nationality.

But the most annoying situation happened to an Italian friend of mine. We went to a local coffee shop one day, and some of us ordered a beer pitcher (I assume it was a coffee shop with alcohol license). The waitress asked us for our IDs in order not only to give us the pitcher, but also the exact number of glasses. The majority of us were obediently carrying our European passports, but she did only carry her Italian ID card. She was 23 at that time, but the waitress refused to give her a glass, warning us that we would be all expelled from the premises if she caught my Italian friend drinking from somebody's glass! Seriously, this is ridiculous.

In addition, some European friends of mine had also trouble with another ID related issue. In most European countries the date of birth is shown dd/mm/yyyy, while in the US it is shown mm/dd/yyyy. Therefore, a Spanish friend of mine who had been born on January 8 was mistakenly identified as being born on August 1. And, precisely, I went with her to the US in April of the year she had turned 21. Try to tell a supermarket cashier when buying a beer that in Europe we write the dates in a different way...

Besides that, I had a great experience in the US.
Well...

I suppose your average supermarket cashier or waitress doesn't see many foreign IDs. (At least from farther away than Canada and Mexico.) It's - as you know - a big country with oceans on two sides. Some degree of training might be in order, although how often does it come up in small, out-of-the-way places...or maybe the State Department should look into something that would work for visitors, particularly long-term visitors like students. (I'm thinking something like the International Driver's License that Americans are advised to get if they're going to Europe...which is really just a translation of your American one into multiple languages.)

I'm glad the rest of your experience was good. :-/

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 09:17 PM   #12124
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
BTW, to my best knowledge there is a recommendation of UN to write the month in letters instead of numbers and, supossing it is on numbers, use dd/mm/yyyy
Uh-oh.

Telling Americans the UN is recommending something is the surest way to get it not to happen! (And seriously, doesn't the UN have more important things to do than standardize dates?) That said, personally I'm partial to the Roman-numerals-for-the-month method: 11.I.2015. Although looking at it, I can see how it's not ideal in January and February.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 11th, 2015, 09:18 PM   #12125
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

According to ISO 8601, the date format should be YYYY-MM-DD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

That would make sense, but sadly afaik close to zero countries have changed their official format to that ISO standard.

riiga liked this post
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 09:20 PM   #12126
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

This only make sense. For instance, imagine folders on your hdd. What format would you choose to have it ultimately ordered by days?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 09:25 PM   #12127
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2097

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Well...

I suppose your average supermarket cashier or waitress doesn't see many foreign IDs. (At least from farther away than Canada and Mexico.) It's - as you know - a big country with oceans on two sides. Some degree of training might be in order, although how often does it come up in small, out-of-the-way places...or maybe the State Department should look into something that would work for visitors, particularly long-term visitors like students. (I'm thinking something like the International Driver's License that Americans are advised to get if they're going to Europe...which is really just a translation of your American one into multiple languages.)

I'm glad the rest of your experience was good. :-/

I had - almost - the same bad experience when I was boarding the Eurostar train in Paris. The UK immigration officer looked suspiciously at my Italian ID card for 5 minutes straight, than looked at me and said: "This is fine, but next time bring your passport, it will make my work easier".

Seriously, I don't give a damn about making your work easy. Italian ID card is enough to get to UK per EU agreements, so shut the bleep up and let me in.

Quote:
Uh-oh.

Telling Americans the UN is recommending something is the surest way to get it not to happen! (And seriously, doesn't the UN have more important things to do than standardize dates?) That said, personally I'm partial to the Roman-numerals-for-the-month method: 11.I.2015. Although looking at it, I can see how it's not ideal in January and February.
You are entitled to do whatever you like, of course, but please agree with me that putting months first makes no sense at all. Please!
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 09:27 PM   #12128
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Indeed. On my work place's internal web site, I post every week an article that we publish in a newspaper. I decided myself to file them as 2014-12-09-[subject], for example, so that they sort chronologically.

But the U.N. really doesn't need to regulate how people use their own languages.

But - stray thought here - do Europeans really speak in the 24-hour system which is pretty much all you see in print? And I realize there's no such thing as "Europeans," rather an answer (possibly more than one) for every language. I mean, do you actually say it's "14:30" or "2:30 in the afternoon"?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 11th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #12129
volodaaaa

Quote:
Indeed. On my work place's internal web site, I post every week an article that we publish in a newspaper. I decided myself to file them as 2014-12-09-[subject], for example, so that they sort chronologically.

But the U.N. really doesn't need to regulate how people use their own languages.

But - stray thought here - do Europeans really speak in the 24-hour system which is pretty much all you see in print? And I realize there's no such thing as "Europeans," rather an answer (possibly more than one) for every language. I mean, do you actually say it's "14:30" or "2:30 in the afternoon"?
Well, according to my experiences, 12 hour format is being used in common speech while 24 hour in writing. I have not heard anyone saying 'we will meet at twenty-two o'clock'

Old January 11th, 2015, 09:35 PM   #12130
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
In Germany, at least in the south, we use the 12-hour system when speaking to each other. E.g. we say that we are meeting at 8 at the cinema to watch a movie. We only use the 24-hour-system to make things clear when it's not obvious which time is meant or we are using the time of day as addition. In any written thing, we use the 24-hour system.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 10:02 PM   #12131
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Danke. (And Volodaaa, whatever "Thank you" is in Slovak.)

We mostly use "a.m." and "p.m." People think of the 24-hour clock as "military time."

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 11th, 2015, 10:12 PM   #12132
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2097

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Well, according to my experiences, 12 hour format is being used in common speech while 24 hour in writing. I have not heard anyone saying 'we will meet at twenty-two o'clock'
That's what we do in Italy too. Although, in some contexts, you can also say "let's meet at twenty-two o'clock" (like tv broadcasts, or theatre/cinema shows).
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 10:29 PM   #12133
volodaaaa

Quote:

We mostly use "a.m." and "p.m." People think of the 24-hour clock as "military time."
It is "Ďakujem". You can read it without the accent, it would sound as dialect, but it is okay

Btw. are'nt we in a wrong thread?

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old January 11th, 2015, 11:08 PM   #12134
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

If they just renamed it "International Border Crossings/Roadside Rest Area II," it would be a more accurate reflection of what it is. ;-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 11th, 2015, 11:09 PM   #12135
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
You are entitled to do whatever you like, of course, but please agree with me that putting months first makes no sense at all. Please!
Spoken like a true scientist.

You won't get very far expecting language to make sense.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 11th, 2015, 11:12 PM   #12136
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
In Germany, at least in the south, we use the 12-hour system when speaking to each other. E.g. we say that we are meeting at 8 at the cinema to watch a movie. We only use the 24-hour-system to make things clear when it's not obvious which time is meant or we are using the time of day as addition. In any written thing, we use the 24-hour system.
Quote:

In Spain, when talking you will almost always hear 12h but writing is quite often the 24h.

My company operates 24h and with first computering systems they had a problem due to a misundestanding on am/pm. Therefore, 24h format always

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 11:23 PM   #12137
volodaaaa

Quote:
If they just renamed it "International Border Crossings/Roadside Rest Area II," it would be a more accurate reflection of what it is. ;-)
I prefer to rename it to "Roadside Rest Area at border crossing". We can also create the thread devoted to language issues. It should be "Small talk with border officer while checking passports" (with Road_UK as honourable mod). Just to keep transport issues.

Btw. as for time format, my student have problem to understand what 0:00 is. I used to announce the due date for project submission to e.g. 2014/10/10 0:00 (the first minute of the date) and whole class had been sending me the projects during the date ). So I've changed it to 23:59 of certain date (eg.g 2014/10/10 23:59) since two years ago. Those youngsters.

Road_UK, Penn's Woods liked this post
Old January 11th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #12138
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
DON'T!!!

volodaaaa liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 11:32 PM   #12139
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
DON'T!!!
i have just been wondering whether you would notice this thing (that could make your day )

on topic: border crossings where one changes the time-zone. are there usually some signs that warn about adjusting the time?
Old January 11th, 2015, 11:36 PM   #12140
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
DON'T!!!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK liked this post

Tags
highways, motorways