daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2015, 02:31 AM   #12221
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Trucks on Batrovci border crossing (SRB-HR) A3-A3

Guys,really
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2015, 02:42 AM   #12222
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

What? If time changes at borders are on topic, why not changes in the law? And signs telling you about them?

Anyhoo, I noticed that A3/A3. Did some or all ex-Yugoslav countries retain Yugoslav route numbers or is that just a coincidence?

(That's not that far off topic, and probably not worth a separate thread.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 02:47 AM   #12223
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Anyhoo, I noticed that A3/A3. Did some or all ex-Yugoslav countries retain Yugoslav route numbers or is that just a coincidence?
Bosnia, Kosovo and Montenegro do. The A3 thing is just a coincidence.
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 02:53 AM   #12224
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Yes.
A3 in Croatia and A3 in Serbia:https://www.google.rs/maps/@45.070436,19.2334383,10z
Old January 15th, 2015, 03:41 AM   #12225
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87694

Guadiana International Bridge, Spain/Portugal

Landscapes
by StephenQuinnUK, on Flickr

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!

arctic_carlos liked this post
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 03:43 AM   #12226
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
Guys,really
In Canada the trucks would think the lineup is just waiting, so would continue on the middle lane, but then try to merge back into the right, so the middle would be blocked, so more trucks would try and pass on the left lane, and block that one also
Old January 15th, 2015, 03:47 AM   #12227
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
In Canada the trucks would think the lineup is just waiting, so would continue on the middle lane, but then try to merge back into the right, so the middle would be blocked, so more trucks would try and pass on the left lane, and block that one also
You said something ?
The same place
Old January 15th, 2015, 03:49 AM   #12228
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Endless

Again, the same border crossing.
Old January 15th, 2015, 03:58 AM   #12229
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87694

No words...

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 04:05 AM   #12230
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

Brazil- French Guyana (France) border bridge

3 years ago a binational bridge, funded by both countries, was built here, physically linking French Guyana with Brazil.

[source]

However, due to a succession of bureaucratic issues with contractors, public contract bids revoked by judicial authorities, bankruptcy of another contractor etc., the bridge is still closed to traffic because the border inspection facilities on the Brazilian side have not been built here.

The bridge should open in 60 days, apparently, after the 5th contractor was hired to build the border post. French facilities have been completed since 2011, as the bridge was finished.
Old January 15th, 2015, 04:47 AM   #12231
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
Endless

Again, the same border crossing.
Ah again it's that bastard Schmitz! Every time I'm driving in Europe it's always Schmitz blocking my way!
Old January 15th, 2015, 05:18 AM   #12232
Guajiro1
Cereal Killer

Likes (Received): 5629

San Roque Gonzalez de Santa Cruz Bridge, Argentina-Paraguay.

Puente Internacional San Roque Gonzalez de Santa Cruz
by Alumisionero, on Flickr

Nikkodemo liked this post
Guajiro1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 07:19 AM   #12233
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
As much as I love US (lived there twice, travel there every year and been to 47 states so far) I do prefer UK gun laws over the US.
While the UK has a lower gun use rate than the US, the violent crime rate in the UK is much higher than in the US and victims of crime in the UK are often punished for defending themselves, which, of course, contributes to the higher rate of violence because it emboldens criminals.

In the US, the cities with the strictest gun bans and gun control laws have the highest gun violence rates because only criminals (who don't care about any laws) have guns and they know that law-abiding people are disarmed. By contrast, in states and cities with liberal gun laws, the rates for violent personal crime are very low, for example, in Vermont which has no gun control law other than the prohibition of felons and crazies from posessing guns and the use of guns in the commission of crimes.

Quote:
BTW, can you bring fresh food from Canada to the US? I know you can't when you fly from Europe but how about driving from Canada? Do you also have to bin your banana or apple?
See here: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use

Last edited by El Tiburon; January 15th, 2015 at 09:20 AM.
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 07:38 AM   #12234
El Tiburon

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
That's exactly the reason why we hate them. Because we know them oh so well.
How can you "know them oh so well" when most European governments heavily restrict or ignore their citizens' right to keep and bear arms?

In the United States, Americans "know them oh so well" and that's why they like them so much and why European companies have so much share in the U.S. gun market.
Old January 15th, 2015, 07:42 AM   #12235
El Tiburon

Quote:
By the way the weapons (guns, grenades, rocket launcher - A FRICKING ROCKET LAUNCHER?? - used in Paris were apparently bought in Belgium. Where the Second Amendment is not in effect.
Were they bought legally or illegally in the black market?
Old January 15th, 2015, 07:50 AM   #12236
El Tiburon

Quote:
To be fair, I seem to remember a story like that...but it was the other way around. Couldn't get into the U.S. with a criminal record and a drunk-driving conviction in Canada counted.
There is a whole legal industry in Canda about to get special permission for Americans convicted of drunk driving to enter Canada. President George W. Bush and Vice-president Dick Cheney needed those special permissions.

I'm not sure, but the reason for denying US entry to Canadians with drunk driving convictions is that DUI may be a felony in Canada.
Old January 15th, 2015, 08:34 AM   #12237
El Tiburon

Quote:
This is just anecdotal. You have to look at the numbers like geogregor did, not the events.
When something like that happens in the United States, even though they are extremely rare events (the numbers show that more people in the US are killed with knifes, clubs, hammers, hands and feet than with rifles), the cintrol-freak politicians start trying to milk the tragedy to impose gun control on law-abiding people who don't hurt anyone and use the anecdotal evidence of European gun control to claim that mass killings only happen in the U.S. and not in Europe.

Quote:
I guess in the US many more common people have guns than in Europe.
The American Revolution got its start in 1774 when the British banned imports of firearms and gunpowder and started confiscating guns and powder from Americans, often using troops and violence to carry out their confiscations. That led to armed resistance from Americans and fear/loathing of European-style gun bans and confiscations and the common people became aremed and loved their guns, something that has transcended time and remains true to the present day. Americans are also very aware that gun control is not about controlling crime because criminals, by definition, don't obey laws, but about controlling the people, specially the law-abiding citizens that are the only ones that obey laws (including gun laws).

Quote:
That's the fundamental difference. In 37 years I've never even seen a firearm with my own eyes, except the ones carried by law enforcers.
When you come to the US don't forget to go to a gun show and you'll see thousands of them under one roof. Gun shows are a common American tradition akin to a fair or flea market where weapons and ammunition are bought, sold or traded and, believe it or not, are very safe and quiet family events where people go to spend a pleasant weekend day with their wives and kids!
Old January 15th, 2015, 08:39 AM   #12238
El Tiburon

Quote:
Maybe east coast is somewhat stricter or more 'Europe - like' with regards to firearms?
Some areas in the east coast, specially the Northeast have strict gun control (and some of the highest violent crime rates in the US). As I said before, gun control is not about controlling guns or crime but about controlling people.
Old January 15th, 2015, 09:39 AM   #12239
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tiburon View Post
The American Revolution got its start in 1774 when the British banned imports of firearms and gunpowder and started confiscating guns and powder from Americans, often using troops and violence to carry out their confiscations. That led to armed resistance from Americans and fear/loathing of European-style gun bans and confiscations and the common people became aremed and loved their guns, something that has transcended time and remains true to the present day. Americans are also very aware that gun control is not about controlling crime because criminals, by definition, don't obey laws, but about controlling the people, specially the law-abiding citizens that are the only ones that obey laws (including gun laws).
Ok. All I'm saying is that maybe a 250-years-ago law is not current material any more.

Quote:

When you come to the US don't forget to go to a gun show and you'll see thousands of them under one roof.
I really don't think so. I loathe guns.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 10:17 AM   #12240
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Speaking of the Guadiana bridge, did all Seville->Faro traffic really go across the ferry there? I can't imagine such a busy route being ferry-only...

Penn's Woods liked this post
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways