daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2015, 01:44 PM   #12241
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Ah again it's that bastard Schmitz! Every time I'm driving in Europe it's always Schmitz blocking my way!
Schmitz is very popular in all ex-communist countries,and in Germany too.

Kanadzie liked this post
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2015, 02:04 PM   #12242
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

What do you think? Is revision of Schengen Agreement possible due to attacks in France?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 02:54 PM   #12243
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tiburon View Post
How can you "know them oh so well" when most European governments heavily restrict or ignore their citizens' right to keep and bear arms?

In the United States, Americans "know them oh so well" and that's why they like them so much and why European companies have so much share in the U.S. gun market.
Okay, here you lose me.

This American doesn't like guns.

It's disgraceful that nothing changed (federally) after Newtown. The NRA should be ashamed of itself.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; January 15th, 2015 at 03:09 PM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #12244
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tiburon View Post
Were they bought legally or illegally in the black market?
Black market.

(Yes, I know we're off-topic...I just got up and am catching up. )

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 15th, 2015, 03:03 PM   #12245
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Ok. All I'm saying is that maybe a 250-years-ago law is not current material any more.

I really don't think so. I loathe guns.
It's our Constitution. It's not easy to amend, and that's generally a good thing. (For one thing, it gives us a level of freedom of expression that is unknown anywhere, anywhere else.)

Repealing the Second Amendment would not, I hope we can agree, prevent criminals from using guns. But gun control is possible and desirable (and necessary) even with the amendment in place. The Supreme Court has said so. Anyone who circulates the myth about Americans being able to buy arms and carry them wherever they want hasn't been paying attention. Gun control laws do exist in parts of the U.S. and have been found to be Constitutional.

And anyone who...well, I've already said what I think about "xenophobic bullshit."

PS: I've never been to a gun show and I don't see that changing.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 15th, 2015, 03:05 PM   #12246
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Speaking of the Guadiana bridge, did all Seville->Faro traffic really go across the ferry there? I can't imagine such a busy route being ferry-only...
Back OT (thank you for your patience):

If you read older posts on this thread, you'll find that crossing the Spanish-Portuguese border wasn't encouraged under Franco. So maybe it hasn't been busy all that long.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 15th, 2015, 03:06 PM   #12247
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
What do you think? Is revision of Schengen Agreement possible due to attacks in France?
I've seen suggestions of that. How easy is it to revise: would every country need to agree, do some of them have a lot of "process" for that sort of thing, and so on...?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 15th, 2015, 03:26 PM   #12248
MattiG

Likes (Received): 614

Quote:
Of course, it is.

But the Schengen Agreement is overrated in this context. The EU is the body to guarantee the free movement, not the Schengen agreement. The S.A. is more or less a set of procedures to make things easier.

For example, the Schengen Agreement has changed virtually nothing for me. Joining the EU was much bigger step, because that allowed me to join the EU Citizens' queue in Heathrow, and saved a lot of time. Even before the EU membership, the authorities very seldom were interested in Finns at the European borders. If I recall, I was once stopped at the Denmark/Germany border at the motorway, and once in Genève while entering Switzerland from Ferney-Voltaire.

- Good morning Sir
- Good morning.
- Can I have your passports please.
- Here you are.
- What is your purpose to enter Switzerland?
- We are having our holidays.
- What is your destination?
- Helsinki.
(silence)
- Welcome to Switzerland, Sir.
Old January 15th, 2015, 03:46 PM   #12249
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2097

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
It's our Constitution. It's not easy to amend, and that's generally a good thing.
I agree, but I think Constitutions should not be impossible to amend either. Italian Constitution was written "only" 70 years ago and it already starts to feel its age: the historical framework in which it was conceived was completely different. Most of the things are general principles, so they're still valid, but some things should be adjusted to current times. I never read the American Constitution, but I guess some things aren't so good for today.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 04:17 PM   #12250
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Chris et al. - just in case your trigger finger is getting itchy on the delete button - is it a lot of trouble to just move interesting OTs to Roadside Rest? :-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 15th, 2015, 04:21 PM   #12251
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

both threads are among the most active in Highways & Autobahns. If you merge posts, they will mess up the previous discussions in either thread.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Penn's Woods, bogdymol liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 04:32 PM   #12252
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

All right. Spinoza, Tiburon and whoever else, perhaps whoever wants to continue this can take it to Roadside Rest.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

g.spinoza liked this post
Old January 15th, 2015, 05:04 PM   #12253
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

It's not international borders unless you count air travel, but, this just in:

http://www.treasury.gov/press-center...es/jl9740.aspx

Restrictions on Americans traveling to and bringing goods back from Cuba are being eased starting tomorrow.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

italystf liked this post
Old January 15th, 2015, 05:07 PM   #12254
pai nosso

Likes (Received): 4050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Speaking of the Guadiana bridge, did all Seville->Faro traffic really go across the ferry there? I can't imagine such a busy route being ferry-only...

This bridge was built in 1991!! And before the construction of this one the closest crossing was 55 Km north.

This one:

Source: Panoramio

After the fall of the dictatorship in Portugal (1974) and in Spain (1975/6) there was border crossings and they were all made by ferry, even a railroad station was made alongside the ferry (click here) (built in 1940) 1200 meters next to the main city railroad station.

In 2009, the E.U. financed another border crossing, the Pomarão Bridge located about 35 Km north of the Guadiana Bridge (click here)

Source: http://portugalfotografiaaerea.blogs...5/pomarao.html
Left: Portugal
Right & Dam: Spain

Corvinus liked this post
pai nosso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 06:41 PM   #12255
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Of course, it is.

But the Schengen Agreement is overrated in this context. The EU is the body to guarantee the free movement, not the Schengen agreement. The S.A. is more or less a set of procedures to make things easier.

For example, the Schengen Agreement has changed virtually nothing for me. Joining the EU was much bigger step, because that allowed me to join the EU Citizens' queue in Heathrow, and saved a lot of time. Even before the EU membership, the authorities very seldom were interested in Finns at the European borders. If I recall, I was once stopped at the Denmark/Germany border at the motorway, and once in Genève while entering Switzerland from Ferney-Voltaire.

- Good morning Sir
- Good morning.
- Can I have your passports please.
- Here you are.
- What is your purpose to enter Switzerland?
- We are having our holidays.
- What is your destination?
- Helsinki.
(silence)
- Welcome to Switzerland, Sir.
i never do that. for instance, i remember when i flought from Graz to Sardinia. entering Slovenia:
-Hello, can I get your passports?
-Sure.
-Where do you travel to?
-(thinking a bit) Vienna.
-Thank you, bye.

explaining him details of the trip? no thanks
Old January 15th, 2015, 06:51 PM   #12256
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

"Flought"? Flew.

Sorry, I don't like to do that. But it sounded funny.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Verso liked this post
Old January 15th, 2015, 07:00 PM   #12257
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Roadside Rest, or Chris and/or Road_UK will get ornery. More likely Road_UK.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 15th, 2015, 10:23 PM   #12258
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i never do that. for instance, i remember when i flought from Graz to Sardinia. entering Slovenia:
-Hello, can I get your passports?
-Sure.
-Where do you travel to?
-(thinking a bit) Vienna.
-Thank you, bye.

explaining him details of the trip? no thanks
In 2012, I made a bike trip from Chochołów (PL) to Zadar (HR).

I crossed 3 Schengen borders:
- Chochołów (PL) / Suchá Hora (SK): nobody bothered us.
- Komárno (SK) / Komárom (H): an argue with a Slovak driver and ... an immediate stop at the Komárom Tesco to buy drinks and paprika sausages
- Rédics (H) / Lendava (SLO): at last normal prices in Euro and a language I can understand much easier than Hungarian

... and then non/extra Schengen borders, for all of which my French ID card was sufficient. 3 different experiences:
1) Lendava (SLO) / Mursko Središće (HR):
1-a) on the Slovenian side, a very serious, absolutely Soviet-style customs officer. No hello, no goodbye.
1-b) on the Croatian side, another Soviet-style customs officer. His question: "Kuda putujete" (where are you travelling) made me want to answer "none of your business ..." However, I was so tired because of the trip that I only answered "do Zagrzebia" ... in Polish. He let us go.

2) Maljevac (HR) / Velika Kladuša (BIH):
2a) On the Croatian side, a quick look at my ID and nothing more.
2b) On the Bosnian side ... a very nice girl as a customs officer. I am pretty confident if I had no girlfriend we could have got to know each other a bit better ! She asked me a couple of questions, but out of curiosity. It was funny: me with a French ID, she asking me questions in Bosnian and I replying to her in Polish.

3) Lohovo (BIH) / Nebljusi (HR):
- On the Bosnian side: 2 Bosnian customs officers that were very nice to me when I started speaking Polish (again!) to them. I spent around 10 minutes just talking to one of them. However, the other stopped a car with Serbian license plates and started opening every single of its door ...
- On the Croatian side: one young customs officer. He started speaking ... German to me when he saw my French ID. I replied to him in Polish (my German is very bad). Then he loudly shouted "SPEAK ENGLISH!!!" ... and when he saw my angry/surprised face ... he suddenly started to smile to me and told me that I have to go uphill for quite a few kilometers .......

My conclusion? I DEFINETLY prefer Schengen borders.

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

cinxxx, piotr71, Rombi, Singidunum liked this post
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 11:04 PM   #12259
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
It is, but would that help? There is a huge population of islamistic extremists in France to begin with.
Old January 15th, 2015, 11:07 PM   #12260
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Schengen has other implications as well, such as common visas for foreigners. It allowed many smaller EU countries to close several consular sections in certain areas of the World, as these are now provided by some EU Schengen partner.

Tags
highways, motorways