daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2015, 12:41 PM   #12281
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I believe the question is "are you travelling with more than ten thousand dollars?"

I'm not sure what happens if you say yes, I'm not so lucky
The EU law at least is that you have to be able to prove where it came from. So if you have 100,000EUR and a receipt showing that you took it out of the bank, no big deal. Apparently the Italians are always seizing large amounts of cash on the Swiss border...
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2015, 01:15 PM   #12282
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs...s/index_en.htm

Quote:
If you enter or leave the EU with € 10.000 or more in cash, you must declare it to Customs. You must use the specific EU Cash Declaration Form for each Member State (except France, where you must use a national form).
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 02:36 PM   #12283
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
I am not sure what is the state of journalism in France? Do they just write down whatever nonsense someone gives as a statement or do they ask tough questions?
French journalists have balls to show Muhammad, but not to ask their politicians tough questions.

Singidunum, Blue Griffin liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #12284
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post

The brothers were on the U.S. "no-fly list." To what extent would European law enforcement have had access to that?

They were also on the UK list too as well as being known to French authorities.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 03:43 PM   #12285
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:

Well if you don't comply with legal requirements they can tell you "no thanks" on allowing you entry. Now it's different with Croatia as part of the EU but Schengen regulations clearly state that they have to ask those questions.
why do you think that i wouldn't comply with legal requirements? if he wanted to really know where was i going, i could easily tell him whatever I wanted inside of EU. he was free to follow me and to check whether I spoke the truth or not.
Old January 17th, 2015, 04:27 PM   #12286
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16177

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
why do you think that i wouldn't comply with legal requirements? if he wanted to really know where was i going, i could easily tell him whatever I wanted inside of EU. he was free to follow me and to check whether I spoke the truth or not.
Border officials in EU countries may ask for other supporting documents such as an invitation letter, proof of lodging, return or round-trip ticket.
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...s/index_en.htm

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 04:34 PM   #12287
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Quote:
If you are a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport:

valid for at least 3 months after the date you intend to leave the EU country you are visiting,
which was issued within the previous 10 years,

and possibly a visa.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 05:38 PM   #12288
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Border officials in EU countries may ask for other supporting documents such as an invitation letter, proof of lodging, return or round-trip ticket.
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...s/index_en.htm
Last time I went to Canada, I had to show my hotel reservation (well, at least the first one. I was spending a few nights in Montreal then going on to Quebec City. I had the Montreal reservation at hand because I anticipated needing it at the hotel; the Quebec City one was in my travel bag. When he asked to see the Quebec City one and I said, "I'll have to dig it out," he let it go.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 05:40 PM   #12289
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
! That's good to know. Mine's probably a bit too old. I'll have to dig it out. :-)

EDIT (post digging-out). It's not too old. But not by much. Good for 10 years starting March 2005, so I'd need a new one anyway. I thought U.S. passports were good for 20 years.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 17th, 2015, 05:47 PM   #12290
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

x-type is an EU citizen, so normally those border policemen have no right to ask what business he has in an EU country. They can verify him, his car papers, but he has the right to go to any EU country he wants whenever he wants.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 05:56 PM   #12291
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

So Croatia's in the EU but not (yet) in Schengen?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 17th, 2015, 05:57 PM   #12292
bogdymol
bogdymod

The border officers don't care for your reason to visit another EU country if you are a EU citizen. Whatever you say, they cannot deny your refusal because of this. But based on your answer and the gestures/intonation they can tell if you are lying or not. If you have a problem they'll find out. And then they will keep searching to find out what's the problem (you might have a fake ID, have some drugs in the car, you just made something very illegal and you're trying to escape etc.).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 05:58 PM   #12293
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
So Croatia's in the EU but not (yet) in Schengen?
Schengen area = EU
- UK & Ireland
- Romania, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia
+ Norway, Iceland, Switzerland
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 06:03 PM   #12294
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Duly noted.

Which brings up the famous Venn diagram:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5215/...27fac906_b.jpg

(and I realize it's out of date)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 17th, 2015, 06:15 PM   #12295
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
The border officers don't care for your reason to visit another EU country if you are a EU citizen. Whatever you say, they cannot deny your refusal because of this. But based on your answer and the gestures/intonation they can tell if you are lying or not. If you have a problem they'll find out. And then they will keep searching to find out what's the problem (you might have a fake ID, have some drugs in the car, you just made something very illegal and you're trying to escape etc.).
Actually they can't ask those questions to EU citizens (where are you going, where are you staying, how long are you staying, do you have the funds), it is illegal. Some time ago the UK had a little trial balloon when they started asking such questions but were quickly told they can't do it. Apart from it being illegal (regulations and court rulings specifically say so) it is also pointless as those questions are there to find out if someone is coming to that country to work and if one has the right to work then what's the point, while replying "I don't have the money but I'll get a job" would disqualify an American or Russian on entry to the EU it wouldn't do anything to for example German going to Spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
x-type is an EU citizen, so normally those border policemen have no right to ask what business he has in an EU country. They can verify him, his car papers, but he has the right to go to any EU country he wants whenever he wants.
Yeah but he was traveling before 2013 I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Schengen area = EU
- UK & Ireland
- Romania, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia
+ Norway, Iceland, Switzerland
+Liechtenstein

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old January 17th, 2015, 06:44 PM   #12296
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Why France shouldn't close its Schengen borders after last week's terrorist attacks:

... simply because such trans-border cooperations within the Schengen zone are already in place (such as this one, between Lithuania and Poland, filmed between Marijampolė and Suwałki.
Moreover, I believe criminals may always find a way to go through borders illegally - so why penalizing regular, decent people?

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 06:44 PM   #12297
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

And Monaco
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 06:46 PM   #12298
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Nope, no Monaco at least de jure

Old January 17th, 2015, 06:57 PM   #12299
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
They were also on the UK list too as well as being known to French authorities.
So if intra-Schengen border controls existed, they might have been stopped? (Or the Jewish Museum shooter from Brussels might not have made it to Marseille?)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; January 17th, 2015 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Periods changed to question marks. Which is what I meant.
Old January 17th, 2015, 07:02 PM   #12300
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21255

Free movement of EU citizens predates, and is not conditioned, to Schengen agreement.

EU citizens can freely go to UK or Ireland for visits. That they are checked doesn't follow they don't have a right to travel there (work is a bit different from newer member state citizens) for business, leisure, studying. They can also freely enter or exit Iceland, Switzerland and Norway.

It would be a stupid thing for France to spend billions of € every year to re-open and control all land borders. It wouldn't still prevent other EU citizens from crossing it. Unless they wanted to severely hamper flow of commuters or commerce in big metro border regions like Lille, Strasbourg, Metz, Nice-Monaco, Annemasse, they would need certainly more than 100 land crossings and sufficient manpower on all of them to prevent queues. If the goal is to stop jihadists, this money is better spend sending French officers to help Greeks and Bulgarians patrol the Turkish border, or to help Spanish and Italians to patrol the Mediterranean narrows.

GROBIN, AlexisMD liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways