daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 19th, 2015, 09:47 PM   #12361
Bzyq_74

Likes (Received): 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliszydlowski View Post
Ukrainians fleeing to Poland, Polish-Ukrainian border - NOV 2014
I just found this on the net and I don't know whether it is entertaining or simply Russian propaganda....

This is a normal situation for many years on a pedestrian border crossing in Medyka.
Bzyq_74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2015, 01:17 AM   #12362
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 410

Medyka is a disgrace. They built the new passenger terminal a few years ago, and cleverly built it almost exactly on the borderline. Therefore, control of the queue is down to the Ukrainians, who have their own control building much further away from the border. The Polish passenger terminal is built with strong, sturdy revolving doors, so there's absolutely no way to "crash" the terminal (like what happened a few times in the old one). They were forced to put the old terminal into action for EU citizens, but in practice, it's still a complete mess there. People are forced to queue for hours in the open air, and what the video shows is just a small example of how terrible it is there. It's an absolute disgrace - Poland could easily have built the passenger terminal further back from the border with a fully enclosed walkway - but no, they chose to build it on the border line entirely on purpose. It's openly admitted by the Polish Border Guard that this was intentional - if the queue gets unruly, then Ukraine has to deal with it, not Poland. The passenger terminal itself is absolutely unfit for purpose - it only has three 'lanes' - which is nowhere near enough to deal with the amount of foot passenger traffic there. EU citizens have access to a further two (I think) - but the situation is such that it's impossible for EU citizens to get there due to the absolute lack of queue management. Ugh.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 10:01 AM   #12363
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by john69 View Post
The Åland Island is a autonomous region, let them do what they want to.. Where is the problem?
They had it granted to them, try to live with it man. It's not like they want to annoy you when making those laws, it's just the way they prefer.
The map that MattiG referred to was published on the mainland. I understand that they have right to have their own (or Swedish) design of traffic signs, but they have no right to tell the mainland what kind of maps to print.
Old January 20th, 2015, 10:07 AM   #12364
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Ok with the language, but the style of traffic signs is usually the same in the whole country regardeless the language spoken.
Also Faroese signs look more Icelandic than Danish. (Never visited the Faroes or Iceland, just seen pics on SSC )
Old January 20th, 2015, 08:25 PM   #12365
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Medyka is a disgrace. They built the new passenger terminal a few years ago, and cleverly built it almost exactly on the borderline. Therefore, control of the queue is down to the Ukrainians, who have their own control building much further away from the border. The Polish passenger terminal is built with strong, sturdy revolving doors, so there's absolutely no way to "crash" the terminal (like what happened a few times in the old one). They were forced to put the old terminal into action for EU citizens, but in practice, it's still a complete mess there. People are forced to queue for hours in the open air, and what the video shows is just a small example of how terrible it is there. It's an absolute disgrace - Poland could easily have built the passenger terminal further back from the border with a fully enclosed walkway - but no, they chose to build it on the border line entirely on purpose. It's openly admitted by the Polish Border Guard that this was intentional - if the queue gets unruly, then Ukraine has to deal with it, not Poland. The passenger terminal itself is absolutely unfit for purpose - it only has three 'lanes' - which is nowhere near enough to deal with the amount of foot passenger traffic there. EU citizens have access to a further two (I think) - but the situation is such that it's impossible for EU citizens to get there due to the absolute lack of queue management. Ugh.
Still no common border control PL/UA??? When I went by car in 2005, the only common border control point was in Zosin/Ustyluh, which was why I had chosen it. Didn't that change since then?

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 08:56 PM   #12366
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18743

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
Still no common border control PL/UA??? When I went by car in 2005, the only common border control point was in Zosin/Ustyluh, which was why I had chosen it. Didn't that change since then?
There are common controls on the newly opened crossings in Dołhobyczów and Budomierz.
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 09:22 PM   #12367
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
Kroscienko is also a common border control. But still quite a few have separated controls, despite the success of Euro 2012 and the 'one stop' control. But that's not the only issue - there are also still way too few crossing points. At a minimum, there should be pedestrian crossings at Malhowice, Wolosate and in Czarna. Kroscienko should also be opened up for pedestrian use - since the cancellation of cross-border trains there, the existing train border crossing facility could easily be used as a pedestrian border crossing with some minor changes. In particular, Wolosate is screaming out for being opened to pedestrians - the road is in place, and there is history of it being opened on special occasions. It doesn't even require anything special - just the will of the Poles and Ukrainians to staff it. The PL-CZ/D/SK borders functioned for years with small tourist crossings, even with huge tax differences between PL/D - why can't PL/UA work the same way?

GROBIN liked this post
Old January 21st, 2015, 05:37 PM   #12368
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Medyka is a disgrace. [...] It's openly admitted by the Polish Border Guard that this was intentional - if the queue gets unruly, then Ukraine has to deal with it, not Poland. .

Remind me please which nationality queues there, and which has to deal with the possibly "unruly" queue ?
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 08:59 PM   #12369
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
Remind me please which nationality queues there, and which has to deal with the possibly "unruly" queue ?
Actually, because of the way that the pedestrian terminal is designed, it impacts everyone. Anyway, anyone crossing the border has the right to be treated in a civilised and humane way - which the current solution is not. I remember the old (and now reopened) passenger terminal was exactly the same - men were often allowed through first, the queue was often treated as "all passports" with the EU line ignored, and so on. Medyka always has been a total disgrace - and the new passenger terminal confirms that. The most sensible solution would have been to build a long building with clear separation between EU and "All Passports", then have one big room for processing both inbound and outbound travellers. The room should have 10-12 "stations" - so during quiet times, it would be possible to have 1 window open in each direction, while busy times could see 9-11 windows open in the direction of Poland and 1 window open towards Ukraine. A simple technological solution (take a ticket at the entrance to the big long building) would guarantee priority for EU citizens. The new terminal does a great job of "guarding", but it does a dreadful job of providing humane conditions for travellers.

piotr71, GROBIN liked this post
Old January 21st, 2015, 11:47 PM   #12370
Rusonaldo
Autostrady Polska

Likes (Received): 12616

PL/D border crossing x2

Rusonaldo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2015, 11:20 PM   #12371
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87650

El paso
by yasevensay, on Flickr

Walked to Mexico this past week...
by Celia Luz Santos, on Flickr

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2015, 11:49 PM   #12372
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

United states on both sides.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 01:43 PM   #12373
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

natural border f-e in fuenterrabia-hendaye

http://www.laspain.com/Guipuzcoa/Hon...Guipuzcoa1.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_TXDaNd38MU8/S1...rti%C3%A1n.jpg
the last pic is for alserrod

Last edited by VITORIA MAN; January 24th, 2015 at 01:58 PM.
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 01:54 PM   #12374
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

There aren't many airports so closed to a border. There are someones... and this is one of those.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 01:59 PM   #12375
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

gibraltar airport border

http://www.andalucia-travelguide.com...ltarrunway.jpg

Moravian, TommyLopez, SRC_100, Suburbanist liked this post
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 02:12 PM   #12376
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
There aren't many airports so closed to a border. There are someones... and this is one of those.
Geneve, Portorož, Basel, Baden-Baden, Salzburg, these are some european that i have in my mind.
Old January 24th, 2015, 02:38 PM   #12377
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
Geneve, Portorož, Basel, Baden-Baden, Salzburg, these are some european that i have in my mind.
Visiting Geneva's "secteur Francais" is on my list of must-visit places. It might not be the same now that Switzerland joined Schengen, but still...
Old January 24th, 2015, 05:44 PM   #12378
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

I always found Gibraltar airport impressive because of the road that goes over the runway.

LMB liked this post
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 06:43 PM   #12379
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
Basel's airport is actually not in Switzerland, a few km off its border.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 01:08 AM   #12380
Protteus
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
In Tijuana, Mexico there's an Airport next to the border of San Diego, CA.
Nowdays the US goverment is building a terminal that will link to the Mexican Terminal.

The purple it's the new connection to the US Terminal. The building is the Tijuana Airport.

And a view from the mexican side, with the borderline.

GROBIN, Singidunum liked this post

Last edited by Protteus; January 25th, 2015 at 01:31 AM.
Protteus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways