daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 10th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #12481
bogdymol
bogdymod

I've been in Ireland last week and drove there almost 1200 km in 2 days. I saw both European and American style signs, but you get used with them straight away.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2015, 10:40 PM   #12482
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiga View Post
Both are valid in the Vienna Convention, so there really isn't any need to inform.

EDIT: Allow me to illustrate, these are all allowed:

I have forgotten American style would be "curve left" instead of arrow

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 04:46 AM   #12483
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I've been in Ireland last week and drove there almost 1200 km in 2 days. I saw both European and American style signs, but you get used with them straight away.
Yeah, arrow left, road going to left, you should turn left

Penn's Woods liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 08:46 AM   #12484
Protteus
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Re not having a passport, there must be infrastructure at the border post to permit people to make U-turns, even if you have to come up to the booth and then they say to turn around.

Re "watch for stopped vehicles," Alserrod's got it: lines at the customs booths. You'll occasionally see "Watch for stopped vehicles" in other situations where, well, where free-flowing freeway traffic may suddenly stop. Toll booths, construction zones....
Actually there is a last "U - Turn" just in case you've messed up with all the exits, but there's no signage for it, and the custom officers may ask you
of your repentance.
The most remarkable thing to say is when you mess up with all the exits and
you're not planing to go to Tijuana and you are CARRYING guns (Permited in
US but NOT in México) at that moment, you just not messed up the exits,
you screwed up .

Ok this is the Last US exit marked on the pic, and the orange line is the
temporary deviation of the entrance to Mexico, till the US goverment builds
up the permanent deviation of the I-5.

Protteus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 11:55 AM   #12485
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
The finnish Border Control Authority is being granted more money due to a change in the security environment.

This appropriation is intended to develop the technical supervision of the russian-finnish border in South-East Finland, North Karelia and in the eastern Gulf of Finland.

The supplementary budget proposed the Border Control Authority a 1.9 million EUR of additional appropriations.

- Contrary to a year ago the situation for Finland's security environment has changed fundamentally, so an additional appropriation is justified. The coverage of the eastern borders must be enhanced urgently to maintain a credible and independent border patrol.

And what for? Will there be able to stop all the Russian Army there in case of an "invasion", I mean tanks, missiles, jets, incoming troupes, etc. and not only some "refugees"? Or is it just to justify another trash spending to maintain fatty officials, instead of investing money in more urgent matters that their country desperately need, like per ex. roads and infrastructures?

Despite of already having THE most surveilled Schengen border in all EU for years, Finns have a perverse pleasure to keep the Iron Curtain alive, which they never abandoned even after 1991 .
Even the most extremist American patriots would ever dream of .

MrAkumana liked this post
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 12:01 PM   #12486
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Maybe the most surveilled EU border is Morocco-Spain (and sadly, remains)

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 03:48 PM   #12487
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Have you got any figures on that? Because I don't think this is true.

LMB liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 10:17 PM   #12488
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Have you got any figures on that? Because I don't think this is true.

Left, Spain, right, Morocco

Old February 12th, 2015, 10:49 PM   #12489
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Bulgarian-Turkish border. The fence is 30km long...

ВОДА liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 11:29 PM   #12490
Motorways

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn1.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHo5Qewgz3--QrzIF6-lw-nYHZYipiXAe_dqJPm6kpFYFHJdXj[/IMG]

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn3.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPBpQcbwmvpaRdSXLNI1O1xLao38lg9gDC09yzf4wfXckwIAJznA[/IMG]

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn2.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRihp3aBP8bBaL6PSKQEG3Jip007R7hCuQX8rAaLvn8Rb-Lp06u[/IMG]

I believe that the diference between one and the other it's pretty clear. i do not think that there is anything like that (luckly) in any other EU country, besides maybe Cyprus.

Corvinus, Nikkodemo liked this post
Motorways no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 01:12 AM   #12491
tonttula

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
And what for? Will there be able to stop all the Russian Army there in case of an "invasion", I mean tanks, missiles, jets, incoming troupes, etc. and not only some "refugees"? Or is it just to justify another trash spending to maintain fatty officials, instead of investing money in more urgent matters that their country desperately need, like per ex. roads and infrastructures?

Despite of already having THE most surveilled Schengen border in all EU for years, Finns have a perverse pleasure to keep the Iron Curtain alive, which they never abandoned even after 1991 .
Even the most extremist American patriots would ever dream of .
You really do seem to be taking issue with this.
They received 4,9 million euro extra funding back in 2013 and that number was expected to ramp up every year with the increase in border crossings. Problems in Russia no doubt have had its impact on this. Why the yearly extra funding was made flexible.

Infrastructure for security per se on the border hasn't been sucking funding past years, but the increased traffic between the two countries that was increasing around 8-10% per year. There were also preliminary plans for the possible visa free travel between Finland and Russia back in 2013, that would have exploded the amount of border crossings. In 2013 extra funding was used to cut queues by hiring more people, new technical equipment and opening new border crossing spots.
tonttula está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 04:49 AM   #12492
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

Road is in the US, field is in Canada.

Penn's Woods, Corvinus, pai nosso, Road_UK liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:16 AM   #12493
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonttula View Post
There were also preliminary plans for the possible visa free travel between Finland and Russia back in 2013, that would have exploded the amount of border crossings.
Is this allowed by Schengen regulations? I mean, if Russians are required to get a visa to enter the Schengen area, allowing them to travel visa-free to Finland means allowing them visa-free in the whole Schengen area. It would create a hole in the Schengen outer border.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

ВОДА liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:20 AM   #12494
Capt.Vimes
Да живее България!

Likes (Received): 13205

Quote:
A new, 82km long border fence will be constructed between the border crossings Kapitan Andreevo and Lesovo.. It will be four times more expensive and will not look like the current one, it will be much more solid. There will also be more thermo vision cameras.

source in Bulgarian

LMB, ВОДА liked this post
Capt.Vimes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:34 AM   #12495
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Is this allowed by Schengen regulations? I mean, if Russians are required to get a visa to enter the Schengen area, allowing them to travel visa-free to Finland means allowing them visa-free in the whole Schengen area. It would create a hole in the Schengen outer border.
They are some exceptions for the locals on both side living in between and traveling for a maximum 50 km radius from the EU border, as they can be illegible for a visa free crossing under certain conditions. If these non-EU are caught traveling beyond the permitted 50 kilometers, they can be punished with a five-year ban on entering the EU.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-847828.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonttula View Post
You really do seem to be taking issue with this.
They received 4,9 million euro extra funding back in 2013 and that number was expected to ramp up every year with the increase in border crossings. Problems in Russia no doubt have had its impact on this. Why the yearly extra funding was made flexible.

Infrastructure for security per se on the border hasn't been sucking funding past years, but the increased traffic between the two countries that was increasing around 8-10% per year. There were also preliminary plans for the possible visa free travel between Finland and Russia back in 2013, that would have exploded the amount of border crossings. In 2013 extra funding was used to cut queues by hiring more people, new technical equipment and opening new border crossing spots.
Yeah .
And that's good, but it hasn't answered the matter .

Withal, after the EU sanctions against Russia, thousands of Russians are rushing and filling their trunk with EU products in Finland every day; which they say to be "much cheaper than in Russia". Even people from Leningrad are coming for weekly shopping. They seem to enjoy the "Putin cheese" and the products that have been banned by the Kremlin, even the "Finnish fish is better than Russian fish." .
And waiting hours on border for that .

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29049601

John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:40 AM   #12496
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Between Spain-Morocco, people in both countries who live near the border can cross it without passport, just ID card, for a day and in both directions but just only to move within several kilometres (inside Spain obviously the whole cities, inside Morocco I think 100 km). For the rest, passport

But the problems aren't Moroccan citizens at all. The problems come from people who have travelled among half Africa (or from Middle East) and wanna enter inside the EU.

Old February 13th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #12497
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Between Spain-Morocco, people in both countries who live near the border can cross it without passport, just ID card, for a day and in both directions but just only to move within several kilometres (inside Spain obviously the whole cities, inside Morocco I think 100 km). For the rest, passport

But the problems aren't Moroccan citizens at all. The problems come from people who have travelled among half Africa (or from Middle East) and wanna enter inside the EU.
It shouldn't be a problem, as there are controls between the two Spanish exclaves and mainland Spain.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old February 13th, 2015, 03:46 PM   #12498
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
They are some exceptions for the locals on both side living in between and traveling for a maximum 50 km radius from the EU border, as they can be illegible for a visa free crossing under certain conditions. If these non-EU are caught traveling beyond the permitted 50 kilometers, they can be punished with a five-year ban on entering the EU.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-847828.html

Yeah .
And that's good, but it hasn't answered the matter .

Withal, after the EU sanctions against Russia, thousands of Russians are rushing and filling their trunk with EU products in Finland every day; which they say to be "much cheaper than in Russia". Even people from Leningrad are coming for weekly shopping. They seem to enjoy the "Putin cheese" and the products that have been banned by the Kremlin, even the "Finnish fish is better than Russian fish." .
And waiting hours on border for that .

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29049601
I wonder how they can determine where exactly the 50km zone ends.

Those people going west to buy things impossible to find in their country remember a lot a past chapter of European history.
Old February 13th, 2015, 07:48 PM   #12499
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
I remember in some high-traffic motorways in Spain the signal "last exit in Spain" even if no passport booths were ahead.
On the motorway between Sweden and Denmark also.

That is because of the toll, though, which is about €50 - quite a "fine" for just missing an exit. Not only the warning of the last exit, the amount of the toll is also signposted before that exit.
Old February 13th, 2015, 09:16 PM   #12500
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Is this allowed by Schengen regulations?
No, and such a thing is not in a pipeline.

The visa policy is subject to mutual agreement between EU and Russia. No Schengen country can implement an individual policy to override the EU policy.

However, any visa waiver decision would have a major impact to the arrangements at the Finnish-Russian border due to a major increase in traffic volumes. Because of the current political climate, I do not believe any major change will take place in the near future.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways