daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2015, 09:59 PM   #12501
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Actually, individual countries may negotiate on local border traffic. The EU is actively encouraging such schemes, as can be seen with the PL-RU/UA agreements.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:12 PM   #12502
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Likes (Received): 44

I love USA / CANADA border; beautiful!
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
-Valentino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:20 PM   #12503
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Because???

Welcome by the way. You dislike French road signs, you asked about German speed limits (which I answered), and you love the USA/Canada border. Know a lot about you already, what do you know about Europe?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:21 PM   #12504
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Be nice.

Valentino, this is Road_UK. He's a local character and one of my favorite people here.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:24 PM   #12505
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Actually, individual countries may negotiate on local border traffic. The EU is actively encouraging such schemes, as can be seen with the PL-RU/UA agreements.
But how does that work, though? If Finland permits Russians within 50 km o the border, but they're not allowed without a visa in the rest of Finland or in many other EU countries, does that mean Finland is systematically carrying out what are really border controls 50 km into its territory? Or at least on public transportation and cars with Russian plates? Not picking on Russians, just because that's the most recent example on this thread....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:27 PM   #12506
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Perhaps Valentino is Autoputevi kan Hobi's Canadian cousin.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK, MichiH, Attus, x-type liked this post
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:29 PM   #12507
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Be nice.

Valentino, this is Road_UK. He's a local character and one of my favorite people here.
I was being nice, I was getting to know him
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #12508
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Much better than Pascal's cousin....... Try to stop thinking about Road_UK's one....

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:37 PM   #12509
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
On the motorway between Sweden and Denmark also.

That is because of the toll, though, which is about €50 - quite a "fine" for just missing an exit. Not only the warning of the last exit, the amount of the toll is also signposted before that exit.
There's "ultima uscita in Italia" signposted at Tarvisio exit on A23, but it's written only in Italian.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:39 PM   #12510
italystf

Quote:
But how does that work, though? If Finland permits Russians within 50 km o the border, but they're not allowed without a visa in the rest of Finland or in many other EU countries, does that mean Finland is systematically carrying out what are really border controls 50 km into its territory? Or at least on public transportation and cars with Russian plates? Not picking on Russians, just because that's the most recent example on this thread....
People caught without visa outside the 50km strip will be banned to enter EU for the next 5 years.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:42 PM   #12511
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
OK with the 50km border zone, but can a Schengen country allow visa-free travel in its whole territory to nationals who require visas for the Schengen area? I don't think so. So the Finnish proposal to estabilish a visa-free travel agreement with Russia would be void.
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:43 PM   #12512
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I understand that, but how likely are they to be caught?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:52 PM   #12513
italystf

Quote:
Routine road controls, maybe.
Before 2013 Croats could visit Italy, Slovenia and Hungary with ID only, but they needed the passport for the rest of EU. However nothing prevented them to travel to other Schengen countries without passport, but they would have been arrested if caught.
Russia and Belarus recently removed border controls between each other but they didn't estabilish a common visa policy, so a foreigner needs two visas to visit those two countries. In theory you can cross into the other country without the proper visa, but if caught, you will be arrested.
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:56 PM   #12514
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
They're not. Once they're in Schengen they can do what the hell they want. Same with US citizens who are limited to 50 miles into Mexico or Baja California only...
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:32 PM   #12515
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Because???
It's the world's longest and most peaceful border Also when you enter there are large welcoming signs with flags and other information
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6

Road_UK, Penn's Woods liked this post
-Valentino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:35 PM   #12516
Road_UK
BANNED

Just like on pretty much all European border. Lots of love to go around
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:38 PM   #12517
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Yes, but ours is longer.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK, x-type liked this post
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:40 PM   #12518
Road_UK
BANNED

We've got more...

x-type liked this post
Old February 14th, 2015, 12:03 AM   #12519
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
They're not. Once they're in Schengen they can do what the hell they want. Same with US citizens who are limited to 50 miles into Mexico or Baja California only...
Never say never. Actually, customs can control you in the entire EU territory without any cause or reason, whenever they want. I was myself "harassed" many times by them last summer when going to the beach, just because I was on Swiss plates and near another EU country border . Though, these controls are too petty to catch significantly the offenders of any kind whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It shouldn't be a problem, as there are controls between the two Spanish exclaves and mainland Spain.
Basically, it's just ashamedly silly and nonsense to put all these fences and heavily armed border guards there .
Maybe, they are "protecting" Ceuta and Melilla (the two Spanish Enclaves in Morocco) against a Moroccan "invasion". But then, UK's Gibraltar should also "protect" his territory by installing enormous barbed wire and 24h armed guards against a Spanish "invasion" .
-----------------------------

Moreover, all EU border looks more like the previous Berlin Wall these days with even more technological nightmares, or the Israel-Palestine Wall .
It's also isolate and destroy the ties and sometime the true friendship between peoples that were living there for centuries before this "fortress" came by, because some EU bureaucrats in Brussels decided so without any democratic basis .
Don't they see that they are just rebuilding the Iron Curtain in a similar way ?

Add to that extremely stupid EU visa policies, that have as consequence that my neighbor and friend living 5 km away need a visa to come see me, but a thousand miles away Honduran - THE country with the most homicides in the world (20 times more than the USA!), very politically unstable, and an international drug turntable and center - can travel visa free in the whole EU!
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 01:01 AM   #12520
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
Never say never. Actually, customs can control you in the entire EU territory without any cause or reason, whenever they want. I was myself "harassed" many times by them last summer when going to the beach, just because I was on Swiss plates and near another EU country border . Though, these controls are too petty to catch significantly the offenders of any kind whatsoever.

Basically, it's just ashamedly silly and nonsense to put all these fences and heavily armed border guards there .
Maybe, they are "protecting" Ceuta and Melilla (the two Spanish Enclaves in Morocco) against a Moroccan "invasion". But then, UK's Gibraltar should also "protect" his territory by installing enormous barbed wire and 24h armed guards against a Spanish "invasion" .
-----------------------------

Moreover, all EU border looks more like the previous Berlin Wall these days with even more technological nightmares, or the Israel-Palestine Wall .
It's also isolate and destroy the ties and sometime the true friendship between peoples that were living there for centuries before this "fortress" came by, because some EU bureaucrats in Brussels decided so without any democratic basis .
Don't they see that they are just rebuilding the Iron Curtain in a similar way ?

Add to that extremely stupid EU visa policies, that have as consequence that my neighbor and friend living 5 km away need a visa to come see me, but a thousand miles away Honduran - THE country with the most homicides in the world (20 times more than the USA!), very politically unstable, and an international drug turntable and center - can travel visa free in the whole EU!
Ceuta and Melilla border fences are probably built also for Spanish showoff: "we work hard to protect our country from the African\Arab\Muslim\terrorist invasion."
There's a big difference between the Iron Curtain and the outer Schengen border, despite the similar appearance.
Iron Curtain was built to prevent citizens of the Eastern Bloc to migrate abroad. East European citizens were treated as prisoners, slaves, by their dispotic regimes. The Iron Curtain represents the failure of the communism, because, if walls were required to keep their people inside, it means that life under communism was really a hell.
The outer Schengen border, instead, don't prevent anybody to travel if he has proper documents. It's aimed to stop illegal immigration, drug, illegal trade,... The abolition of border controls within Europe has, as side effect, the creation of a "fortress" with the outside.

Kanadzie, Robi_damian liked this post

Tags
highways, motorways