daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2015, 09:04 PM   #12581
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Likes (Received): 44

• John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
-Valentino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2015, 04:23 AM   #12582
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I don't think that use of "ARRET" is grammatically correct... I think it is just accepted "imperative" because to write proper grammar would take too much letters

Kind of like "NO STEP" written on airplane wings, it makes no sense in English but you need to know, don't step there
Old February 19th, 2015, 10:10 AM   #12583
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I don't think that use of "ARRET" is grammatically correct... I think it is just accepted "imperative" because to write proper grammar would take too much letters

Kind of like "NO STEP" written on airplane wings, it makes no sense in English but you need to know, don't step there
The grammar topic should be definitely created

Kanadzie, GROBIN liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 11:31 AM   #12584
VegasCraig

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
But isn't it possible to avoid the toll by immediately turning to the old road? http://goo.gl/maps/XkLd9

How long does it take in total? It seems quite slow if this short stretch takes 24 minutes, what do they inspect so much.

Also on the video, on the entry to Mexico, did you even show your documents to anyone?

Entry into Mexico is controlled by a random signal; green means go and very rarely a red light will mean you need to stop and show documents and have your vehicle inspected.

I got a green light so my two companions and I didn't have to produce any documents entering Mexico.

Returning to the U.S., I noticed that my lane seemed particularly slow. I don't know if there were any issues with the cars in front of me or not, but the other lanes seemed to be moving faster. When it was my turn, the process took about 5 minutes. My American passport card, my friend's American passport, and my other Australian friend's passport were all scanned after asking a few questions about where we visited, what we did, and how we knew each other. My trunk was also briefly inspected.

My total wait in line was 40 minutes, but traffic was pretty light at that time of day. I used to do this crossing all the time when I lived in San Diego in the 90s, and even then the lines were long but traffic moved much quicker (no passport requirements, etc.)

Singidunum, GROBIN liked this post
VegasCraig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 11:34 AM   #12585
VegasCraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by [atomic] View Post
is there no ID check at the border?

Nope, only very rare random checks of documentation at the border.
Old February 19th, 2015, 03:15 PM   #12586
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

How strange! I don't think I've ever crossed the Canadian border in either direction without showing ID.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 05:37 PM   #12587
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

• John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6

Penn's Woods, pai nosso, piotr71 liked this post
Old February 19th, 2015, 05:43 PM   #12588
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasCraig View Post
Nope, only very rare random checks of documentation at the border.
I guess that is only when going to Mexico to the US, but what about tourists and other people that are not US/mexican citizens?
[atomic] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 05:44 PM   #12589
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

USA - MEXICO border

Road_UK, Luki_SL, Corvinus, pai nosso, piotr71 and 1 others liked this post
Old February 19th, 2015, 05:58 PM   #12590
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

I learned that in Mexico it is almost completely illegal / very difficult for a civilian to own a firearm. Despite of that, Mexico is a much more dangerous place than the United States, also the homicide rate is 5 times bigger than the US .
So, I guess that many good American "patriots" would carry their guns with them even if it's illegal, which moreover taking into fact they are almost "never controlled" and it's easy to bribe .
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 06:34 PM   #12591
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

No no no no no no, no firearms talk on here please. Or metric systems. Or languages.... Don't lock this thread down again.

bogdymol, MichiH, volodaaaa liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #12592
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

I was not talking of firearm as a debate of gun control, but wanted to point that it seems easy for US citizens/residents to pass the Mexican border with a gun - from the post picture of total ban above. Also, it may be "appealing" for some Americans as it's a quite dangerous place, unlike Canada (or even the US), and shares a large border with the US .
By the way, I never "blocked" any thread on so far !

For your former reply, here are some links were you can see excise duty within EU:

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs...u/index_en.htm

http://europa.eu/youreurope/business...y/index_en.htm

As I already wrote, these limits are too high for being worth mentioning it. Do you know many individuals transporting privately more than 110 liters of beers and/or more than 90 liters of wine on a single trip? I do not know anyone on this case.

Last edited by John Maynard; February 19th, 2015 at 09:18 PM.
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 01:29 AM   #12593
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
I learned that in Mexico it is almost completely illegal / very difficult for a civilian to own a firearm. Despite of that, Mexico is a much more dangerous place than the United States, also the homicide rate is 5 times bigger than the US .
So, I guess that many good American "patriots" would carry their guns with them even if it's illegal, which moreover taking into fact they are almost "never controlled" and it's easy to bribe .
Yeah, have you seen the kind of insanity passing on the Mexican side of the US border? Overpasses decorated with bodies dangling, that insanity with the teacher-students... I don't think I would want to cross that border even if I had a RPG launcher and Tantal with me
Old February 20th, 2015, 05:46 AM   #12594
VegasCraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by [atomic] View Post
I guess that is only when going to Mexico to the US, but what about tourists and other people that are not US/mexican citizens?
If you need to declare goods, or need a tourist card, there's a place to stop to self-declare.

In the Baja California area, up until just to south of Ensenada, no tourist card is needed for a 72 hour stay. I assume this covers most crossers at this border-either short term tourists or residents. Those who do pass south of that point must go through a checkpoint where they'll have to show the tourist card they had stamped AT THE BORDER.

Also, anyone holding a visa for the U.S. is exempt from needing a Mexican visa, according to the page I found on their UK website.

http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/reinouni...xtranjeros/108

This means that anyone legally in the US can enter Mexico for up to 6 months, regardless of what country they're from. The same 72 hour border-zone exemption to having a tourist card applies also.

[atomic] liked this post
Old February 20th, 2015, 06:06 AM   #12595
VegasCraig

Border Fence & Monument along the Pacific

Border fence stretching into the Pacific Ocean, as seen from the Mexico side.

Taken on February 10, 2015

Boundary marker set in 1894 near the Pacific Ocean. The Spanish language side has been darkened in to make it readable. Until this point, the fence straddles the cement line that goes through the middle of the monument. Here, though, the fence is set back about a yard.

Corvinus, pai nosso, Road_UK liked this post
Old February 20th, 2015, 07:16 PM   #12596
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Republica Mexicana? i never heard for that term, i thought it was always Estados Unidos Mexicanos or just México

GROBIN liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 08:21 PM   #12597
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
Republica Mexicana? i never heard for that term, i thought it was always Estados Unidos Mexicanos or just México
Quite weird but to my best knowledge... "República de los Estados Unidos de México"
Am I right?

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 08:26 PM   #12598
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4004

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constit...ana_%281857%29
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 10:12 PM   #12599
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1749

The official name should be "The United States of Mexico" afaik. But it is rarely used in common speech. On the other hand, telling "I am going to US" could be tricky :-)

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 10:41 PM   #12600
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
The official name should be "The United States of Mexico" afaik. But it is rarely used in common speech. On the other hand, telling "I am going to US" could be tricky :-)
i actually don't like those short forms that are too general. for instance United States. hell no, America is better. or the winner - UK. i know that callin that country (Great) Britain is wrong. we also often call it England (and thinking of whole UK). United Kindgom of Great bla bla is not an option, it's too long. or former Soviet Union. no shit. there was some council that made a union around itself.
those names like US or UK or USSR would be the same as my name would be Man. or Human.

Tags
highways, motorways