daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 1st, 2015, 08:44 PM   #12701
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16174

Those US statistics don't show number of train entries

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2015, 08:49 PM   #12702
blue_man100
Motorways Runner

Likes (Received): 32491

I don't know if there are border crossings of people by train between US and Canada...

I know there aren't crossings between Mexico and US
Old March 1st, 2015, 08:51 PM   #12703
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_man100 View Post
here is the data, 2013 CY...
from Canada, top US entry ports:
What would be very interesting to see is a breakdown to the personal vehicles' countries of registration - the share of US-, Canadian- and third-country registered vehicles among those which crossed the border.

As for buses and commercial trucks, I guess none from an overseas country ever cross there; what about Mexican and other from Central and South America? Can these occasionally be found up there in the North?
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 08:53 PM   #12704
blue_man100
Motorways Runner

US-Mexico border
Matamoros, MX to Brownsville, Texas
each day thousands of mexican students go to american schools, in bicycle, walking or driving

this is one picture of mine:

LMB liked this post
blue_man100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 08:55 PM   #12705
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:

I don't know if there are border crossings of people by train between US and Canada...

I know there aren't crossings between Mexico and US
There is passenger service to Toronto and Montreal at least.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

blue_man100 liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 08:59 PM   #12706
blue_man100
Motorways Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
What would be very interesting to see is a breakdown to the personal vehicles' countries of registration - the share of US-, Canadian- and third-country registered vehicles among those which crossed the border.

As for buses and commercial trucks, I guess none from an overseas country ever cross there; what about Mexican and other from Central and South America? Can these occasionally be found up there in the North?

thousands of mexican buses cross into USA...and american buses into Mexico too...
now, regarding commercial trucks, mexican trucks can go only into the border cities of US....the american unions have been sucessful in putting commercial barriers for mexican drivers...american drivers worry about competition
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:16 PM   #12707
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Hm maybe it's not only about competition, but also safety and environmental issues w/ Mexican trucks.
Anyway, my question concerned the USA/CDN border, so you won't really find Mexican trucks crossing that one if they are stuck at US border cities.

How does overland freight between Mexico and Canada work? Do Canadian trucks come down to Mexico, or meet Mexican ones close to the border and transfer the cargo?

blue_man100 liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:53 PM   #12708
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I think it is mostly by train once you get to that kind of distance just for economics... I see US trucks all the time in Canada, and Canadian all around the northern USA, but Mexican, they are really rare at this latitude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
Those US statistics don't show number of train entries
I never did it but I suspect train into the US works like airplanes - there are US border guards at the airport and once you get past them you are legally "in US" so you have no border check "at the border", instead already you have pre-clearance. (edit apparently this is only done at Vancouver)

As for congested crossings, the ones at Buffalo are pretty bad. But I would make distinction between traffic count and congestion. But especially on long weekends in summer, it can be just horrible.
I am surprised by the number at "Niagara Falls", surely it must be counting the four different crossings there (Hwy 405/1-190 / Queenston bridge, Peace Bridge at Fort Erie, Whirlpool Rapids bridge) in addition to the actual Niagara Falls Rainbow Bridge...
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:58 PM   #12709
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

It says Buffalo-Niagara Falls, so it ought to cover everything from the Peace Bridge up (or down, really) to, what 190/405?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:58 PM   #12710
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
As for buses and commercial trucks, I guess none from an overseas country ever cross there
Once I saw in Switzerland a bus from Brazil.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 10:46 PM   #12711
blue_man100
Motorways Runner

Quote:
Hm maybe it's not only about competition, but also safety and environmental issues w/ Mexican trucks.
Anyway, my question concerned the USA/CDN border, so you won't really find Mexican trucks crossing that one if they are stuck at US border cities.

How does overland freight between Mexico and Canada work? Do Canadian trucks come down to Mexico, or meet Mexican ones close to the border and transfer the cargo?

Oh OK, I misunterstood your question...
and well, regarding Can/Mex overland freight, I don't know too much about it...I'll have to investigate further...
I have seen trucks with canadian legends in mexican roads, but I think these drivers are mexican with canadian freights
Old March 1st, 2015, 11:01 PM   #12712
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

BTW, how are train controls MX-US?

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 11:47 PM   #12713
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
There is passenger service to Toronto and Montreal at least.
I expected there was something between Seattle and Vancouver or San Diego and Tijuana, since there's a lot of interaction between those urban areas.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 11:54 PM   #12714
italystf

Quote:
here is the data, 2013 CY...
from Canada, top US entry ports:

entries by personal vehicle (cars)

buses:

commercial trucks:

What about pedestrian\bicycle traffic?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:41 AM   #12715
blue_man100
Motorways Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
What about pedestrian\bicycle traffic?
here you go...I guess they include bicycles in this category, but i'm not sure

Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:47 AM   #12716
italystf

Quote:
thousands of mexican buses cross into USA...and american buses into Mexico too...
now, regarding commercial trucks, mexican trucks can go only into the border cities of US....the american unions have been sucessful in putting commercial barriers for mexican drivers...american drivers worry about competition
Also in Europe there is a similar problem: truckers from Western countries suffer the competition of those from Eastern countries. However, working hours for truckers are the same in all 28 EU countries.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:54 AM   #12717
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
here you go...I guess they include bicycles in this category, but i'm not sure

Okay, so, what counts as a crossing? Derby Line must get 398 in a day, let alone in a year... Is there a rule that locals don't have to report, or no one has to report until they're outside the built-up area, or....?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:56 AM   #12718
blue_man100
Motorways Runner

I really don't know
Old March 2nd, 2015, 02:32 PM   #12719
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I expected there was something between Seattle and Vancouver or San Diego and Tijuana, since there's a lot of interaction between those urban areas.
I've crossed the US-Can border on the train whilst travelling from NY to Montreal and back. I've also travelled on the Amtrak service from the US to Toronto but only from Niagara Falls on the Canadian side to Oakville.

There's a rail connection between Vancouver & Seattle (Amtrak Cascades 513) but when I travelled between the two cities in 2005 I went by coach. Not sure why but it was probably a combination of cost/travel time/departure time. We did, however, use the above Amtrak service from Seattle to Portland, OR (fantastic city btw) a few days later.

Penn's Woods, nick.english.dept liked this post
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 02:42 PM   #12720
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Seattle and Vancouver are something like 140 miles apart.

San Diego and Tijuana, on the other hand, are more like a single urban area. There's a light rail service between San Diego and the border known as the Tijuana Trolley and has been for a long time; whether it actually crosses the border I don't know. (Closest I've ever been to Mexico is Disneyland.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
highways, motorways