daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2015, 09:56 AM   #12861
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I don't think there's no passport control between Russia and Belarus. There's no customs though.
There are not passport controls. Look here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.7740...xVJKJfVSVA!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.4416...xo9ubIpvXQ!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...61b853ddb570d9

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.6912...OcLzL9AITQ!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.9879...6-6YW8C33w!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@56.0087...XP5dlGd6fA!2e0

Just as you see in some pictures, there are some random police controls, always on Russia side.

Verso liked this post
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2015, 10:35 AM   #12862
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

How old are the pictures in Google? It seems like the relations between Ukraine and Russia seem to have gotten a little worse during last year.

It doesn't necessarily need to affect Belarus, but the setup of the border traffic seems to be like so that the border guards cannot even know, which country the traffic is coming from or going to.
Old April 12th, 2015, 12:11 PM   #12863
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

And what's this picture?
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.1165.../data=!3m1!1e3

(inside Russia but booths in the three countries)

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 12:24 PM   #12864
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
And what's this picture?

What are you actually asking?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 03:12 PM   #12865
stickedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
And what's this picture?

A border crossing between Ukraine, Russia and Belarus?
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 06:36 PM   #12866
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Probably there are controls for Ukrainians, so the reason of border control.
Old April 12th, 2015, 09:13 PM   #12867
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

I see booths in Russia, booths in Ukraine, but no booths in Belarus. Perhaps the Belarus checks are joint with Russian or Ukrainian ones respectively.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 10:16 PM   #12868
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I see booths in Russia, booths in Ukraine, but no booths in Belarus. Perhaps the Belarus checks are joint with Russian or Ukrainian ones respectively.
Russia and Belarus are in a Schengen-like union, albeit with no common visa policy. I guess that formalities at the border with Ukraine are quite tight now for obvious reasons.
The RUS-UA-BY tripont is very interesting. It's probably the only road border crossing in the world who serves 3 countries.
The Russian border post is also visible on Street View:
https://www.google.it/maps/@52.11631...ibHw9R8hZA!2e0
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Alex_ZR liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 11:58 PM   #12869
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3993

Quote:
This photo shows booth in Belarus:

"Clo" is "customs" in Polish.

http://goo.gl/maps/oolPh

Blue Griffin liked this post
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 12:02 AM   #12870
stickedy

Quote:
There is border check in Belarus: https://www.google.com/maps/@52.1137...81949!2e1!3e10
https://goo.gl/maps/WNnLH
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 01:29 AM   #12871
italystf

The usage of demarcating tripoints with monuments isn't recent.
Here some early XX century postcards, showing the tripoint between the three major European empires at that time. The place is now in Poland.

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

SRC_100, los77, Verso, piotr71, pai nosso and 3 others liked this post
Old April 14th, 2015, 01:18 AM   #12872
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I don't think there's no passport control between Russia and Belarus. There's no customs though.
From what I know, while there's no customs and passport control in theory, the reality is that both Russia and Belarus operate random police checks on the border. Customs controls were reintroduced at the end of last year as well, and Russia was apparently demanding that trucks headed for Kazakhstan (also in the Customs Union) go through Customs controls upon entry to Russia.

more info here -

http://belarusdigest.com/story/belar...an-union-20726

I don't think the border between Russia and Belarus was ever open to the same degree as Schengen countries. I've seen a few videos of border crossings, and there was always some sort of presence of authorities, although they were mostly observing and not controlling.

Verso liked this post
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 07:53 AM   #12873
the boat

Likes (Received): 9

When traveling from Northern Ireland into Ireland, does one need to clear passport control if they don't have a CTA or EU passport? (I'm going to be flying into BFS, then driving for a meeting in Dublin, and then returning to leave from BFS)

Last edited by the boat; April 15th, 2015 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Added more information
the boat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 10:05 AM   #12874
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

What passport do you hold?
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 12:33 PM   #12875
VegasCraig

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by the boat View Post
When traveling from Northern Ireland into Ireland, does one need to clear passport control if they don't have a CTA or EU passport? (I'm going to be flying into BFS, then driving for a meeting in Dublin, and then returning to leave from BFS)
I did this drive back in '12. There aren't any border checks in between the ROI and Northern Ireland. The CTA means admittance into the Republic of Ireland entitles you to enter the UK, and vice versa. You'll actually only know you've crossed the border into ROI when you see the bilingual "Speed limits in kilometres per hour" sign.

(Forgive the crummy Google maps screenshot, I drove at night and couldn't get any pics.)

VegasCraig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 04:07 PM   #12876
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

You won't have to clear passport controls as they have never existed between the Republic and the UK (though customs have). You may need two visas though, depending on where you're from. I presume CTA is the Common Travel Area. There isn't a CTA visa or single admittance policy like the with Schengen zone, though one is planned.
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 04:42 PM   #12877
italystf

Does someone know how border controls are performed there?
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/45.6925/15.3014
Old April 15th, 2015, 04:58 PM   #12878
the boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
What passport do you hold?

I hold both a US and BN(O) passports, and I have a French ID card and DL.
Old April 15th, 2015, 05:01 PM   #12879
the boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasCraig View Post
I did this drive back in '12. There aren't any border checks in between the ROI and Northern Ireland. The CTA means admittance into the Republic of Ireland entitles you to enter the UK, and vice versa. You'll actually only know you've crossed the border into ROI when you see the bilingual "Speed limits in kilometres per hour" sign.

(Forgive the crummy Google maps screenshot, I drove at night and couldn't get any pics.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
You won't have to clear passport controls as they have never existed between the Republic and the UK (though customs have). You may need two visas though, depending on where you're from. I presume CTA is the Common Travel Area. There isn't a CTA visa or single admittance policy like the with Schengen zone, though one is planned.

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully the traffic won't be bad between Belfast and Dublin.
Old April 15th, 2015, 06:57 PM   #12880
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Not quite right. Since 1997 (I think...), the obligation to present some sort of photo ID at RoI ports has existed. While formal identity controls might never have existed on the land border, carrying some sort of photographic ID when crossing the border was always highly recommended. I don't know about the RoI, but Northern Ireland always had the requirement for drivers to carry a driving licence when driving - so that was a de-facto identity check at checkpoints.

Anyway, the correct answer :

While formal border controls don't exist, it's a wise idea to carry the French ID card to prove your right to cross the border. The CTA only applies to British and Irish citizens, with all other citizens being required to carry an ID card (in the case of EU/EEA/CH citizens) or a passport (all others).

Holding a BN(O) passport should exempt you from immigration controls (and allow you to take advantage of the CTA), but in practice, the authorities will want some proof of British citizenship if you don't have a British/Irish accent.

Controls are not entirely uncommon - the Gardai tend to have a look at trains/public buses/coaches from time to time.

Apparently the UK and Ireland are slowly moving towards a unified visa space, but progress is painfully slow. Till then, we're stuck with the absurdity that is the CTA. Chinese and Indian nationals already benefit from a unified visa, but that's it for now.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways