daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2015, 10:27 PM   #12901
the boat

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Aha!

So you should use the BN(O) passport rather than the USA one. While the BN(O) doesn't give you EU freedom of movement/right of abode, you're still a British citizen.

The border crossing between Hungary and Ukraine is no problem if you own the car. If you don't and the owner isn't travelling with you, then it can be more of an issue.
Which brings up a question, is it better to rent a car, or to buy one and then sell it once I'm done using it?
the boat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2015, 10:45 PM   #12902
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I've read about a smuggling car caught off guard in a control after the Somport tunnel.

There are no booths. Therefore I guess that someone knew they were carrying drugs (heroin) and waited till they crossed the border.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 11:47 PM   #12903
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Aha!
The border crossing between Hungary and Ukraine is no problem if you own the car. If you don't and the owner isn't travelling with you, then it can be more of an issue.
I've read that waiting some hours is common there.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 10:10 AM   #12904
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
IMO, crossing this railway brigde will approach someone to the most weird and interesting tripoint around the world. Just some metres away

https://www.google.es/maps/@42.4159114,130.6434303,16z
Well, someone did : http://vienna-pyongyang.blogspot.be/...-by-train.html

(going through this point and not through China as one is normally expected to do)

Last edited by MarcVD; April 17th, 2015 at 02:19 PM.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 10:42 AM   #12905
the boat

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I've read that waiting some hours is common there.

My original plan is to drive from a city in either Western or Central Europe (still to be determined), then drive through Hungary, Ukraine and then through the Baltic state and end in Russia.
the boat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 11:25 AM   #12906
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

I've found a very rare photograph indeed - a picture of a Republic Srpska Krajina border crossing!

Old April 18th, 2015, 02:41 PM   #12907
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by the boat View Post
My original plan is to drive from a city in either Western or Central Europe (still to be determined), then drive through Hungary, Ukraine and then through the Baltic state and end in Russia.
Driving into Russia is possible, but fairly complicate from a beaurocratic point of view even if the car is your. I don't know for rental cars, but I think the situation would be much worse. I don't know details, but besides the visa for Russia, you probably need to buy a Russian car insurance. Getting a Russian visa is possible only with an invitation, that you will get after having booked your hotel or other accomodation. So unplanned road trips across Russia, deciding at last moment where to sleep like you would do in Europe or North America are not possible. Remember also that traffic discipline is much worse than in Europe and North America, police is often corrupted and many signs are in cyrillic only (that isn't that hard to learn, since it has probably some 20-30 letters, but you need to learn in advance).
If you also drive across Belarus, same problems with Russia, but you will need to get a separate visa for it.
Obviously is needless to say to stay away from Crimea, Donetsk and Lugansk oblast.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old April 18th, 2015, 02:59 PM   #12908
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
I've found a very rare photograph indeed - a picture of a Republic Srpska Krajina border crossing!
Where has it been taken?

On my side, I can say that during my trip by bike in 2012 from Chochołów (PL) to Zadar (HR), I was very impressed how even nowadays you can clearly see where this strange entity was.
When riding from Zagreb to the Bosnian border in Maljevac via Brezovica, Pisarovina, Gvozd and Topusko, I could see an enormous amount of abandoned houses. I noticed also that of the few people I met on this 100-km road had cars with ... Serbian license plates. At no moment I was feeling that I was approaching Bosnia-Herzegovina.
Then, when I entered Croatia again, until Bruvno, it was another festival of abandoned houses and Serbian license plates.
In Bruvno itself, contrary to what I saw between Zagreb and Maljevac, I could see impacts of bullets ...

P.S.: Here were the borders of that entity. End of OT.

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Eulanthe liked this post
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 03:00 PM   #12909
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I don't know for rental cars, but I think the situation would be much worse. I don't know details, but besides the visa for Russia, you probably need to buy a Russian car insurance.
... and first of all, negotiate with the rental company/look up in rental agreement if driving to Russia and other Eastern countries is permitted at all. If it is, hefty surcharges will apply.

Once I looked up the conditions for allowing to drive to Hungary with a VW transporter type car rented in Germany with a major rental company.
The applicable surcharge for this permission was about 300% of the standard rental price. And that was for EU Hungary, not Russia.
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 03:58 PM   #12910
Eulanthe

Grobin, the website claimed that it was taken in Eastern Croatia, so I'm guessing that it was in Eastern Slavonia. It was taken in 1992, so I'm guessing this was the point when the UN entered as peacekeepers and the conflict became frozen (or more accurately, moved into Bosnia).

As an anecdote, as far as I know, the border was never closed between the RSK and Croatia. It was thoroughly unwise of ethnic Croats (and later Bosniaks) to enter the area, but non-locals could enter the area relatively freely. As far as I know, only Germans were truly despised among non-locals in the RSK, while others such as Brits were usually treated with nothing but contempt.

Last edited by Eulanthe; April 18th, 2015 at 09:52 PM.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 04:27 PM   #12911
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

Niagara Falls Bridge

http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles918.jpg

GROBIN, SRC_100, darko06, pai nosso, TommyLopez liked this post
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 02:42 AM   #12912
Eulanthe

Another historical picture, this time taken in Poland facing the border crossing at Terespol.

In comparison to the modern day -

https://www.google.pl/maps/@52.06935...zPQ0PZbAFw!2e0

Quite incredible to think that the tiny Terespol crossing in the old days was (along with Medyka) the major crossing into the USSR from Poland. From what I understand, passport/customs clearance was all carried out inside the building.

los77, SRC_100, Verso, piotr71, Corvinus and 4 others liked this post
Old April 20th, 2015, 02:59 AM   #12913
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

And especially with upside-down 8 number, it is like warning, you sure to go to USSR?

los77, Rombi liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 02:06 PM   #12914
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Quite incredible to think that the tiny Terespol crossing in the old days was (along with Medyka) the major crossing into the USSR from Poland.
Tiny? It was the main road to USSR, I don't know why you're surprised.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 04:57 PM   #12915
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Tiny? It was the main road to USSR, I don't know why you're surprised.
That's exactly why I'm surprised, look how small the facility is. I've found other pictures online (should I share?) and it seems that traffic to/from the USSR was very, very light indeed. I'm guessing that rail might have been the dominant form of transport in those times?
Old April 20th, 2015, 06:13 PM   #12916
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Ah, I misunderstood you.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 08:50 PM   #12917
pasadia

Likes (Received): 1934

Quote:
I think this is a more appropiate imagine on curent days traffic in that border crossing.
pasadia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 07:22 PM   #12918
italystf

Old picture of a local border crossing between Muggia (Italy) and Cerej (Yugoslavia\Slovenia, I don't know the year of the pic). The sign (in Italian and Slovenian) says:
"Agricultural border crossing of Cerej. Transit allowed only to owners of agricultural permit."
Aparently there were people who owned land on both sides and they had to cross the border there to manage their property.

The same place now:
https://www.google.it/maps/@45.59302...GM4jcCfWlQ!2e0

Palance, Verso, SRC_100, pasadia, Vignole and 3 others liked this post
Old April 21st, 2015, 10:52 PM   #12919
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadia View Post
I think this is a more appropiate imagine on curent days traffic in that border crossing.
Yes, it's crazy to think that the Terespol crossing in the photo I posted once handled both truck and car traffic. These days, Kukuryki handles all the truck traffic - and huge queues of trucks there aren't uncommon.

I wonder if that picture is from Yugoslavian or Slovenian times?
Old April 22nd, 2015, 10:17 AM   #12920
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadia View Post
This is another border crossing. There are two different border crossings between Terespol and Brest.
Is the northernmost one for trucks only and the southernmost one only for cars?

Tags
highways, motorways