daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 9th, 2015, 01:06 PM   #12961
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

http://www.kyivpost.com/media/images...iginal_big.jpg

SRC_100, pai nosso liked this post
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2015, 01:11 PM   #12962
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1746

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITORIA MAN View Post
Is it safe to pass by foreign personal car?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2015, 01:56 PM   #12963
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Some pictures from me from Spain-Gibraltar, crossing on foot:

La Línea de la Concepción by cinxxx, on Flickr

La Línea de la Concepción by cinxxx, on Flickr

Gibraltar by cinxxx, on Flickr

And crossing back to Spain:

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2015, 02:00 PM   #12964
KRX_69
Amaro

Likes (Received): 4375

Last time I was in Gibraltar, I've been three hours to enter in Spain because of political tension. The situation is now resolved ?, Since there are not so many lines, both to enter and to leave Gibraltar?
Old May 9th, 2015, 02:06 PM   #12965
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I was on the last Friday of March, but arrived shortly after 16:00.

We were the only 2 people crossing by foot into GIB, everything was very relaxed, officers thanked us in Romanian ("mulţumesc") after providing passports. We also asked for stamps and got them.

On exit nothing checked, just a very brief look from 2 meters, from the booth at us and at our papers.
Old May 9th, 2015, 03:46 PM   #12966
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRX_69 View Post
Last time I was in Gibraltar, I've been three hours to enter in Spain because of political tension. The situation is now resolved ?, Since there are not so many lines, both to enter and to leave Gibraltar?
Everything (for the time being) has returned to normality. Exit checks are made at random (on both sides), and entry checks are swift.

However, it might be about to change. The rumours flying around Gibraltar is that Spain is planning to introduce full Schengen entry and exit checks in accordance with Schengen rules. A Spanish friend in La Linea thinks that this isn't actually the case, but that the "secondary infrastructure" will be built to avoid the problems caused by doing full searches in the main traffic lanes, which was one of the main reasons why the EU wasn't happy.

This is a drawing of what should be built there - - which clearly shows that there should be three/four lanes entering Gibraltar, with four lanes leaving Gibraltar. The equal infrastructure exists on the Gibraltar side, so exit/entry should be much smoother. The plans also show a large amount of possible inspection bays for the Spanish Aduana, so perhaps they are genuine about sorting out the mess there.

Either way, the infrastructure is still rubbish for the amount of traffic.

cinxxx, did you have a look at the pictures on the wall in the Gibraltar passport control building? And was anyone actually present in the Spanish entry Customs office (where the x-ray machines are)?

Last edited by Eulanthe; May 9th, 2015 at 03:59 PM.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2015, 03:57 PM   #12967
bogdymol
bogdymod

As a EU citizen, do you need a Passport to cross into Gibraltar, or is the ID card enough?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2015, 04:06 PM   #12968
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post

cinxxx, did you have a look at the pictures on the wall in the Gibraltar passport control building? And was anyone actually present in the Spanish entry Customs office (where the x-ray machines are)?
I don't think I looked, or if I did, I don't remember.
I think that someone from Spain was in the booth (can be seen in my second picture) and we only waved the passport towards him.
There was also no heavy traffic at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
As a EU citizen, do you need a Passport to cross into Gibraltar, or is the ID card enough?
Afaik, ID should be enough (Gibraltar should have same status as UK island), we used our passports only to also ask for stamps.
Old May 9th, 2015, 04:10 PM   #12969
Eulanthe

This is the pedestrian entry Customs control on the Gibraltar/Spain border. Strangely, the passport control is conducted outside in the open air. It's a very strange border...
Old May 9th, 2015, 04:18 PM   #12970
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Gibraltar officers were inside, where they also checked our documents.
Only on exit to Spain did we not step anywhere inside.
Old May 9th, 2015, 04:19 PM   #12971
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRX_69 View Post
First of all, Gibraltar pannels translations are quite accurate (rather far from those US pannels in Spanish with a lot of mistakes).

AFAIK... you do not need to use your passport

Nowadays there's no news about Gibraltar and as you know "no news = good news". Last time there were long queues was after a great corruption case in the government in august. They "needed" to submit news to newspapers in august to avoid talking about them.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2015, 04:21 PM   #12972
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

In addition.... it is a pity. Next person to visit Gibraltar, please, spot the "look left" signals for Pedestrians in the streets.

They are in the same format than in other corner of the UK but.... "look left" instead of "look right" because Gibraltar is right hand driving. In google we can search something but not to much

Old May 9th, 2015, 06:38 PM   #12973
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Gibraltar officers were inside, where they also checked our documents.
Only on exit to Spain did we not step anywhere inside.
That's weird, when I was there, you had no choice but to go through the building above. Maybe it's connected to the ongoing building works...

About Crimea - as far as I know, both sides are building permanent facilities. It looks like we're headed for a Kosovo-style "solution" there - Ukraine will recognise the line as an administrative boundary, while Russia will recognise it as an international boundary.

The other thing - as far as I know, the checkpoints are also working normally.
Old May 9th, 2015, 08:07 PM   #12974
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
First of all, Gibraltar pannels translations are quite accurate (rather far from those US pannels in Spanish with a lot of mistakes).
Is it so true? I saw "approximacion aeropuerto" and read "approximately an airport" I mean I understand it is "proximate" but surely Spaniard normally would use another word?
Old May 9th, 2015, 10:28 PM   #12975
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

A couple of days ago I crossed the Slovenian-Croatian border by train between Ormož (SLO) and Čakovec (HR) (just for fun, because I'd never driven there before). However, the train stops in Čakovec for just 9 minutes and goes back to Slovenia (I've already been to Čakovec anyway). It was a bit awkward when the Croatian cop came on the train and asked me why I don't exit, he was like 'wtf'. The whole thing was even more ridiculous as I was the only passenger on the entire train.
Old May 9th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #12976
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
A couple of days ago I crossed the Slovenian-Croatian border by train between Ormož (SLO) and Čakovec (HR) (just for fun, because I'd never driven there before). However, the train stops in Čakovec for just 9 minutes and goes back to Slovenia (I've already been to Čakovec anyway). It was a bit awkward when the Croatian cop came on the train and asked me why I don't exit, he was like 'wtf'. The whole thing was even more ridiculous as I was the only passenger on the entire train.
Hey, that's an interesting question - how are border controls carried out there? By the fact that the Croatian cop got on the train, does it mean that they're carried out in the station rather than on the train? If they're carried out in the station, then I need to go this summer!

(and likewise, what about the Slovenian controls?)
Old May 9th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #12977
Verso
Islander

No, they are carried out in train (or by the door of the train, if you exit).

And I was checked by the same Slovenian cop twice in half an hour.

Eulanthe liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2015, 11:47 PM   #12978
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
No, they are carried out in train (or by the door of the train, if you exit).
Bah I'm still hunting for somewhere in Europe where physical border controls are carried out in the station - ignoring the obvious Eurostar ones, I haven't found anywhere else. There's still Przemysl, but the cost of taking the sleeper train to L'viv just for the sake of going through border controls in the station is way too high. The other one in Poland, Kroscienko, has been closed for years now due to the vast amount of demolition done by smugglers. There's also one in Terespol, but the Belarus visa is such a pain to obtain.

Quote:
And I was checked by the same Slovenian cop twice in half an hour.
I hope the answer was "what"

I've never understood why border police are so confused by someone crossing after a few minutes. It'll soon be time for my yearly "annoy the border guards in Hum na Sutli/Rogatec late at night" trip

Verso liked this post
Old May 10th, 2015, 12:32 AM   #12979
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
I hope the answer was "what"
He probably remembered me, but he didn't say anything.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 01:57 AM   #12980
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Is it so true? I saw "approximacion aeropuerto" and read "approximately an airport" I mean I understand it is "proximate" but surely Spaniard normally would use another word?
Will use the same words but maybe with other additional words "aproximacion AL aeropuerto" maybe more correct....but really not bad (and better than San Diego pannels)

Tags
highways, motorways