daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2015, 02:08 AM   #13141
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

I've just check thhe whole road from Neum to Stolac on Google Earth for any signs or pictures of a checkpoint. I've found zero...
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2015, 02:17 AM   #13142
stickedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko06 View Post
Quote italystf:

"I have a paper road map of Croazia from probably around 2006-2007 and there is already a road from Neum to the rest of BiH.
Side note: the map shows Croatian A1 dashed till the MNE border and "opening 2008"."

Obviously Croats were far too optimistic then...
If you look how fast the A1 was built from Bosiljevo to Sestanovac - 6 years for 400 km of motorway from 2001 to 2007 - than it was not that optimistic to built another 200 km in 3 years... Unfortunately they just ran out of money.
Old June 19th, 2015, 11:55 AM   #13143
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

Frontera aérea by Diego González, en Flickr
rio de onor (P) - rihonor de castilla (E)
007422 - España-Portugal by M.Peinado, en Flickr
007414 - Rio de Onor by M.Peinado, en Flickr
Rio d'Onor - Portugal (22 Km) by Paulo Rebelo, en Flickr

SRC_100, pai nosso, piotr71, Moravian liked this post
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 12:02 PM   #13144
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Because a weird reason, bridge (one out of the international smaller in the world but not the smallest) was cut to traffic but it was possible to cross the border walking or with heavy country machines (over the creek).

There are some blogs about these two little villages located in each side of a creek and different countries. I read that all shops are in one side and all pubs in the other one but I cannot remember which ones.

And... maybe many bloggers have talked about their situation more than themselves due to nobody there bother about situation. Nowadays currency is the same and most of laws are quite similar in each side of the two-villages. You can find several families with a husband/wife born in one or other side.
Maybe the most curious point is the language. Between them they will mix Portuguese and Spanish in a sort of dialect to understand themselves

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 11:52 AM   #13145
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
I've just check thhe whole road from Neum to Stolac on Google Earth for any signs or pictures of a checkpoint. I've found zero...
The mystery deepens...

Is it possible that there was some sort of very temporary hut or container, and they would only stop foreign registered cars? I've found references to BiH not really controlling the Neum corridor (what's new, some might say) until they formed the State Border Service in 2000.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 06:09 PM   #13146
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Because a weird reason, bridge (one out of the international smaller in the world but not the smallest) was cut to traffic but it was possible to cross the border walking or with heavy country machines (over the creek).

There are some blogs about these two little villages located in each side of a creek and different countries. I read that all shops are in one side and all pubs in the other one but I cannot remember which ones.

And... maybe many bloggers have talked about their situation more than themselves due to nobody there bother about situation. Nowadays currency is the same and most of laws are quite similar in each side of the two-villages. You can find several families with a husband/wife born in one or other side.
Maybe the most curious point is the language. Between them they will mix Portuguese and Spanish in a sort of dialect to understand themselves
I believe, but I may be wrong, that the bridge was closed temporarily in 1974 because there were fears of a Spanish invasion after the Carnation Revolution in Portugal. Not that closing the bridge would've made much difference.

Given that it's an isolated village divided by an imaginary line, I suspect that the people on either side speak pretty much the same, but that the people on the Portuguese side speak standard Portuguese to outsiders, and the Spanish side the equivalent.
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 07:35 PM   #13147
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
I believe, but I may be wrong, that the bridge was closed temporarily in 1974 because there were fears of a Spanish invasion after the Carnation Revolution in Portugal. Not that closing the bridge would've made much difference.

Given that it's an isolated village divided by an imaginary line, I suspect that the people on either side speak pretty much the same, but that the people on the Portuguese side speak standard Portuguese to outsiders, and the Spanish side the equivalent.

To my best knowledge you're right and as far as I know, it was a decission of a local officer to cut the border (not a decission of the Portuguese government because the rest of the borders remained without any change).

Old June 21st, 2015, 08:17 PM   #13148
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Is that even legal in Schengen?
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 10:09 PM   #13149
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Obviously it isn't but we are talking about 1974 when Potugal had a revolution and in Spain a totalirism regime remained for one year more.

Old June 21st, 2015, 10:11 PM   #13150
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Ah, I thought it was done recently.
I tried to figure out which town it is, but I think you haven't wrote the location...
Old June 21st, 2015, 10:17 PM   #13151
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Ah, I thought it was done recently.
I tried to figure out which town it is, but I think you haven't wrote the location...
It is here

https://www.google.es/maps/@41.94119...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Where paved street finish and shift the material you are in Portugal. If you turn 180º the image you have a sign that you are entering into Spain.

It is the typical case of a binational town but in this case... a quite small binational village

cinxxx liked this post
Old June 22nd, 2015, 12:04 AM   #13152
Eulanthe

Quote:
There's no obligation to actually have border crossings, the only thing that Schengen did was to remove physical controls from borders. I don't think there was any obligation on Schengen states to actually ease the transit between countries - I seem to recall that Austria in particular placed plenty of restrictions on formerly closed crossings.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 12:49 AM   #13153
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Yes, restrictions for cars, trucks, etc.
But on foot, you could cross everywhere you want, as long as it's not forbidden to enter that piece of land/water...
Old June 22nd, 2015, 01:09 AM   #13154
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
I seem to recall that Austria in particular placed plenty of restrictions on formerly closed crossings.

In 2008, to the very surprise of border-near Hungarian settlements, Austrians were installing "no entry with any vehicle" signs on a number of smaller border-crossing roads, probably to reduce "doubtful" traffic from "the East" on these roads when no systematic controls were allowed anymore.

x-type liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 11:01 PM   #13155
Eulanthe

Yes, and it was entirely legal. I suspect when framing the Schengen Agreement, the authors didn't think that anyone would actually do such a thing, and so it's not exactly a breach of the agreement as passage is still permitted on foot. I saw one strange example somewhere near Bratislava, but I don't remember exactly where - but it was obvious that there was no real reason to ban vehicles.

Having said that, 3.5t limits are routine and common on the PL/CZ border, often without any real reason. They also maintained some old 7.5t limits without much justification at some old border crossings.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 12:15 AM   #13156
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Kind of funny they would put that to deter "unsavory" traffic... wouldn't they just ignore the sign?
Old June 23rd, 2015, 02:45 AM   #13157
stickedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Kind of funny they would put that to deter "unsavory" traffic... wouldn't they just ignore the sign?
Psst... What's not supposed to happen, can't happen
Old June 23rd, 2015, 12:42 PM   #13158
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

If they put a physical obstacle on the road, then it's harder or impossible to cross by car.
On foot, by bike or motorcycle you still can
Old June 23rd, 2015, 02:00 PM   #13159
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Ah, but when they ignore the sign police can stop them for illegally driving on a road not allowed for cars - it's not a border check, it's just a regular police check
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 02:25 PM   #13160
haddockman

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
If they put a physical obstacle on the road, then it's harder or impossible to cross by car.
On foot, by bike or motorcycle you still can
The British authorities did something similar in Northern Ireland during the troubles. They blocked any unapproved border crossings with the republic of Ireland with barriers. In some cases they destroyed bridges and made craters in the roads to prevent any vehicles from crossing.

Last edited by haddockman; June 23rd, 2015 at 02:48 PM.
haddockman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways