daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 5th, 2015, 10:41 PM   #13221
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

Folkestone (Eurotunnel):

Palance, pai nosso liked this post
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2015, 11:12 PM   #13222
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moravian View Post
Cesky Tesin (CZ) from Cieszyn (Poland):
this is only one-way border crossing (from PL to CZ).
second Olše bridge is more to the east, and direction signs are almost non-existant, in both CZ and PL parts.
Old July 6th, 2015, 07:28 AM   #13223
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
second Olše bridge is more to the east, and direction signs are almost non-existant, in both CZ and PL parts.
Olza! Locals don't use the Olše name - it was "forced" on the area by the central Czechoslovak authorities. Cieszyn is beautiful, but Cesky Tesin is a wasteland. It's a common theme with Polish/Czech border towns - the Polish side tends to look a lot nicer than the Czech side.

Some Poles told me that it's because Czechslovakia located heavy industry close to the border, but I'm not sure if it's true or not.

I've found a nice little strange border crossing in Croatia that appears to be closed - https://www.google.com/maps/@45.2112...7i13312!8i6656

I'll go look next month, it seems to be yet another example of a location where the border really should be open.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #13224
Moravian

It has been quite sensitive story.....No need to open it.....Yes, locally the river name Olza is used....Cieszyn is definitely nice because of the fact that the historical center of the former common town is part of Cieszyn......Cesky Tesin is mostly a new town buit up after 1920. At the very beginning - there was just the important railway station on the railroad Kosice-Bohumin. However you can find some nice places in Cesky Tesin too as well - for example new town hall and streets buit up in 30s.....The whole region round Ostrava and Karvina /like Katowice/ has been based on coal mining and heavy industry........with all consequences....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Olza! Locals don't use the Olše name - it was "forced" on the area by the central Czechoslovak authorities. Cieszyn is beautiful, but Cesky Tesin is a wasteland. It's a common theme with Polish/Czech border towns - the Polish side tends to look a lot nicer than the Czech side.

Some Poles told me that it's because Czechslovakia located heavy industry close to the border, but I'm not sure if it's true or not.

I've found a nice little strange border crossing in Croatia that appears to be closed - https://www.google.com/maps/@45.2112...7i13312!8i6656

I'll go look next month, it seems to be yet another example of a location where the border really should be open.

TommyLopez liked this post
Old July 6th, 2015, 11:11 AM   #13225
piotr71

Quote:

I do not know when you've been to Cieszyn/Tesin last time, but currently anything out of the town square in Polish part of the town looks just ugly, really ugly. Last 2 decades made this place complete bucket of junk with poor modern architecture, no planning at all, thousands of shitty billboards and banners all over the place and dirty houses in the town centre. Cieszyn is slowly but steadily loosing its historical advantage over its Czech counterpart and my heart cries when I am walking from Tesin to the other side of the river. I would not recommend to visit this place to anybody, any more, as I used to do in the past.
Old July 6th, 2015, 01:45 PM   #13226
Eulanthe

I hope that the law signed by Komorowski not so long ago about advertising will finally put a stop to the mess in Poland. It's the sole thing that makes CZ far superior to PL, and it strikes me every single time when crossing the border to anywhere that the problem is just out of control in Poland.

But Cieszyn is still very nice in general - it really has potential, but only if the Silesian provincial authorities wake up and actually get something done there. But I don't understand why the Czech authorities have allowed such a mess in Tesin - places such as Jablunkov and Trinec are quite nice (even with the heavy industry in Trinec), but Tesin is just a complete disaster, especially close to the train station.

Having said that, the border area around Karvina is very, very nice on both sides of the border. I'm very fond of the whole area stretching from Ostrava all the way down to the Slovak border, even with the heavy industry around.

Is there a name in Czech that broadly reflects the Zaolzie idea in Polish?
Old July 6th, 2015, 06:00 PM   #13227
Moravian

Is there a name in Czech that broadly reflects the Zaolzie idea in Polish?[/QUOTE]

Nothing special...Zaolší or Zaolzí......The issue of Těšín /1920, 1938, 1945/..And in general - Těšínsko or Těšínské Slezsko for the whole region between Frydek and Bielsko (or at least for Zaolzie)...The fact is that Zaolzie is part of Karvina and Frydek-Mistek district (and sure City of Ostrava)....There was no one common district of Český Těšín....

piotr71, TommyLopez liked this post
Old July 6th, 2015, 09:46 PM   #13228
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:

That's the border to BiH! It's not really surprising that it's closed... Like so many other local roads between former Yugoslavian states.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 10:10 PM   #13229
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Are there other one-way border crossings in existence?

I know this one, between Italy and Switzerland, but since there are two opposite one-way streets very close each other, it works as a two-lane street (even if the two directions have different street names).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 11:29 PM   #13230
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
That's the border to BiH! It's not really surprising that it's closed... Like so many other local roads between former Yugoslavian states.
But look at it, it doesn't look like a typical "closed" ex-Yugoslav crossing. The BiH side has the town name, and there's a hut there with a Croatian flag. It looks rather like an ex-border crossing that's now been closed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.2106.../data=!3m1!1e3

Look here - you can see the BiH hut too. It looks clearly like the border crossing has been there at some point and now has been closed, but not so recently (the flagpole is rusted, so it's obviously been quite a while). There's something similar in Metković, so I wonder if there were many more HR-BiH crossings in the past that have now been closed?

Next mystery - where is this?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JmqGyILutS...0/DSC04771.JPG

It's apparently somewhere near Dubrovnik on the border with BiH, but it's not the Brgat / Ivanica crossing.

Last edited by Eulanthe; July 6th, 2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old July 6th, 2015, 11:48 PM   #13231
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
i am almost sure that i saw Vám/Zoll border crossing Berzence/Gola with HR.

edit: i saw good.
https://www.google.hr/maps/@46.19485...7i13312!8i6656
Indeed it's not Carina on the sign ... good capture! Chances are the sign is still there for real (there are distance signs for Austrian towns still including "Vám/Zoll", 10 years after EU ascension).
Maybe there is a significant German population in this area (like around Pécs), therefore "Zoll".

So now we only need a counter-example of the other type ("Vám" in a sign of a neighbouring country).
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 11:56 PM   #13232
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

These 3 pics aren't mine, but I've recently crossed those 2 borders (between 2 sides of the new iron curtain):
The Lavoriškės (LT) / Katłoŭka (Катлоўка) (BY) border crossing, on the Belarusian side:

The Kamienny Łoh (Каменны Лог) (BY) / Medininkai (LT) border crossing: view from the Belarusian side over the Lithuanian one.

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Verso, Moravian, Džiugas, SvMp, pai nosso liked this post
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 12:06 AM   #13233
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
But look at it, it doesn't look like a typical "closed" ex-Yugoslav crossing. The BiH side has the town name, and there's a hut there with a Croatian flag. It looks rather like an ex-border crossing that's now been closed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.2106.../data=!3m1!1e3

Look here - you can see the BiH hut too. It looks clearly like the border crossing has been there at some point and now has been closed, but not so recently (the flagpole is rusted, so it's obviously been quite a while). There's something similar in Metković, so I wonder if there were many more HR-BiH crossings in the past that have now been closed?
Hmm, maybe the crossing is much older. Look a few pictures before: https://goo.gl/maps/4eZbx There are works on the booth but neither the booth nor the flag look new on booth pictures. And obviously it was already closed while there were works. Look at the plants on the bridge. The pictures were made in 2011.

The region around Velika Kladusa was some kind of special region back in war times since the local Bosniak leader there had a special agreement with the Serbs. Maybe it's an old crossing from those times with the Republic of Serbian Krajina and was closed later on by Croatia.

Quote:
Next mystery - where is this?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JmqGyILutS...0/DSC04771.JPG

It's apparently somewhere near Dubrovnik on the border with BiH, but it's not the Brgat / Ivanica crossing.
It's at Neum: https://goo.gl/maps/LC94h
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 08:51 AM   #13234
Nikkodemo
ˇˇPueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87680

Usumacinta River, Guatemala (Right) and Mexico (Left)

Navegando el Usumacinta
by Guillén Pérez, on Flickr

Instagram: nikkodemo_
ˇˇˇ11 Ańos en SkyscraperCity!!!

SRC_100, pai nosso, diablo234 liked this post
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 07:35 PM   #13235
TommyLopez

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Maybe this is a stupid question as well, but I've always wondered - are there any bilingual Czech/Slovak towns/villages?
Nope, they are not, the Czech-Slovak country border is also strictly the language border. Btw, my friends in Silesia region use the name Olše normally, not Olza
TommyLopez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 01:13 AM   #13236
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1749

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyLopez View Post
Nope, they are not, the Czech-Slovak country border is also strictly the language border. Btw, my friends in Silesia region use the name Olše normally, not Olza
Prague e.g.?

Btw. there are some bilingual-signs about toll obligation written both in Czech or Slovak.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 01:15 PM   #13237
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

lauterbourg (F_D)

http://www.photo-alsace.com/2_photo/...g_1/n63120.jpg

http://images.delcampe.com/img_large...16/502_001.jpg

http://images.delcampe.com/img_large...72/344_001.jpg

SRC_100, Attus, SvMp, Moravian, pai nosso liked this post

Last edited by VITORIA MAN; July 8th, 2015 at 01:22 PM.
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 01:28 PM   #13238
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

former f-d border at col de la schlucht

https://thebluelinefrontier.files.wo...er-officer.jpg

http://images-01.delcampe-static.net...60_001.jpg?v=2

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Schlucht_2.jpg

Last edited by VITORIA MAN; July 8th, 2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old July 8th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #13239
bogdymol
bogdymod

First motorway border crossing between Romania and Hungary opens on Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadia View Post
Some new pictures in an article in roumanian of the border crossing on the new A1/M43 route:

Opening on saturday, July 11.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 01:58 PM   #13240
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

tolls or border checks ?

Tags
highways, motorways