daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2015, 02:01 PM   #13241
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3277

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITORIA MAN View Post
tolls or border checks ?
Border control

Last edited by SRC_100; July 8th, 2015 at 04:07 PM.
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2015, 02:16 PM   #13242
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

Because Romania still isn't in Schengen.
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 04:02 PM   #13243
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3277

True.
Note that the border posts are temporary or at least look like temporary.
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 06:17 PM   #13244
haddockman

Likes (Received): 8

Temporary in that they hope Romania will get into schengen soon.

Those huts will still be there in 5 years time.
haddockman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 10:12 PM   #13245
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Systematic border controls may also be temporarily re-activated between two Schengen countries if mandated by exceptional circumstances (typical case: for security reasons during summits involving high-ranking statesmen).

So building those "light" huts is not a complete waste of money even if RO joins Schengen faster than expected.

Plus, who knows where a review of Schengen regulations will lead, especially with the current flood of illegal immigrants that Europe is receiving. The general absence of person controls could become unmaintainable; there is already heavy pressure from wealthier Schengen regions for allowing more border surveillance.
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 10:19 PM   #13246
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

A little bus service that crosses twice a border...

http://cdn.ter.sncf.com/medias/PDF/a...tcm50-9019.pdf

In 1970 the railway line Canfranc-Oloron broke down and was replaced (till today) by buses. They replaced by a Canfranc - Oloron bus crossing the Somport mountain pass and through the N-330 in Spain and RN-134 in France

These are (in French) schedules for this summer

http://cdn.ter.sncf.com/medias/PDF/a...tcm50-9019.pdf

The bus will not depart from Canfranc station but from Somport ski resort in the French side. One minute after (and not more than 1 km away), a call in the mountain pass (called Douane, but there are no customs at all), later it enters in Spain and calls in Canfranc station for transfer to railway or bus through the south... and return Oloron via Somport tunnel

(I guess that a Somport mountain pass-Les Forges d'Abel is faster making a tour via Canfranc and tunnel rather than direct road because they could depart from Canfranc, calling in the pass and going down to Les Forges)

First time it crosses the border is just after departing. Second time is in the Somport tunnel approaching Les Forges d'Abel

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 12:11 AM   #13247
SvMp

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddockman View Post
Temporary in that they hope Romania will get into schengen soon.

Those huts will still be there in 5 years time.
I hope they will never get into Schengen. To destroy a country, take away it's borders. Schengen is evil.

haddockman, riiga liked this post
SvMp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 07:29 PM   #13248
bogdymol
bogdymod

Today ciprebbe @ pum uploaded a video regarding the new motorway opening between Arad and the Hungarian border, including the new border crossing.

The new border crossing, seen from above:

Video:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

pai nosso liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 07:35 PM   #13249
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

how big !!!
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 03:11 PM   #13250
bogdymol
bogdymod

Romania and Hungary are now connected by a motorway. The new motorway (on both sides of the border) and the new border crossing are now open

Old July 11th, 2015, 03:16 PM   #13251
bogdymol
bogdymod

foto: adevarul.ro

cinxxx, SRC_100, pai nosso liked this post
Old July 11th, 2015, 03:57 PM   #13252
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvMp View Post
I hope they will never get into Schengen. To destroy a country, take away it's borders. Schengen is evil.
It is not evil per se (on the contrary, I always found it very comfortable to transit Schengen countries w/o border checks). It becomes evil when clueless EU bureaucrats are against effective protection of Schengen (or EU, for that matter) external borders.

Effective protection means not allowing masses of illegal border crossers in (be them arriving on land or by sea). Effective protection also means swift expulsion (say within 2-3 days) of unrecognized asylum seekers - instead of feeding them for months while they make extra money with narco-trafficking. Same for any asylum seeker (recognized or not) who commits any offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Romania and Hungary are now connected by a motorway. The new motorway (on both sides of the border) and the new border crossing are now open
Time to plan a Transylvania sightseeing tour!

SRC_100, italystf liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 04:15 PM   #13253
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Time to plan a Transylvania sightseeing tour!
Don't miss Banat
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 08:10 PM   #13254
bogdymol
bogdymod

Aerial video of the new border crossing between Romania and Hungary:

SRC_100, BL2 liked this post
Old July 11th, 2015, 08:16 PM   #13255
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

I'm guess that void in the middle of the complex is the "provision" for the Schengen by-pass on the expressway on both ends
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 10:52 AM   #13256
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsHalt View Post
I'm guess that void in the middle of the complex is the "provision" for the Schengen by-pass on the expressway on both ends
Yep, should be easy to convert to Schengen without fuss.

I was thinking about why this border crossing has been built like this, and the only logical thing is that the Schengen Borders Code requires all external international borders to be built according to a set of standards. So the barriers, cameras, etc - Hungary may have been forced to have such things.

But certainly in this case, it would've made sense to route all trucks and non-EU via the old crossing - unless of course, Romania has been told unofficially that Schengen accession simply won't happen in the forseeable future.

In related news, Croatia started the process of joining Schengen a couple of weeks ago on target. But it will be politically impossible for Croatia to join without Romania and Bulgaria. As for Romania and Bulgaria operating a mini-Schengen between them - it is possible (and I don't think the EU cares) - but Romania may not want to get involved with Bulgaria. All reports are that Romania is ready to join, but there are still huge question marks over Bulgaria.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 11:25 AM   #13257
Vignole
e^(iπ)+1=0

Likes (Received): 479

Congratulations to Arad and Timișoara, now are cities connected to European Motorway Network.
Vignole está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 05:29 PM   #13258
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Yep, should be easy to convert to Schengen without fuss.

I was thinking about why this border crossing has been built like this, and the only logical thing is that the Schengen Borders Code requires all external international borders to be built according to a set of standards. So the barriers, cameras, etc - Hungary may have been forced to have such things.

But certainly in this case, it would've made sense to route all trucks and non-EU via the old crossing - unless of course, Romania has been told unofficially that Schengen accession simply won't happen in the forseeable future.

In related news, Croatia started the process of joining Schengen a couple of weeks ago on target. But it will be politically impossible for Croatia to join without Romania and Bulgaria. As for Romania and Bulgaria operating a mini-Schengen between them - it is possible (and I don't think the EU cares) - but Romania may not want to get involved with Bulgaria. All reports are that Romania is ready to join, but there are still huge question marks over Bulgaria.
I was thinking of another solution: Romania and Bulgaria both join the Schengen Area, but control on the Bulgarian-Greek border remains.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 12:27 AM   #13259
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I was thinking of another solution: Romania and Bulgaria both join the Schengen Area, but control on the Bulgarian-Greek border remains.
What? Greece is a Schengen country! That would not only make any sense, it would not be impossible at all.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 03:12 AM   #13260
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

And what would actually change for Greece? Nothing, because there's already control on its border with Bulgaria.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways