daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2015, 09:44 AM   #13261
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
And what would actually change for Greece? Nothing, because there's already control on its border with Bulgaria.
But what is the sense of that?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2015, 10:16 AM   #13262
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Now I know this isn't a forum for immigration politics, but in trying to make some sense in this discussion I wish to point this out:

The problematic mass immigration to the EU is mostly a south-to-north movement. The most important countries in the south are Spain (having a land border with Morocco), Italy (having a long coastline and being opposite to Libya, a more or less collapsed state) and Greece (having a land border and a long maritime border with Turkey).

As we can see, a large part of this mass immigration doesn't stop in Spain, Italy and given the recent situation certainly not in Greece, but continues to move north. While all three are Schengen members, Greece's neighbours are not. When continuing north from Greece, one either has to cross the Adriatic or then go through some non-Schengen countries.

So we may have a situation where non-Schengen countries (Bulgaria and the Republic of Macedonia) have more interests to control their Schengen borders (with Greece) than the other way around.

piotr71 liked this post
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 01:53 PM   #13263
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
So we may have a situation where non-Schengen countries (Bulgaria and the Republic of Macedonia) have more interests to control their Schengen borders (with Greece) than the other way around.
Not really since all these countries are just a transit station for immigrants. The want to reach rich countries... So increased controls just cost money for those mentioned countries with no benefit for them.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #13264
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
But what is the sense of that?
No control on the borders BG-RO and RO-H.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 05:15 PM   #13265
volodaaaa

Quote:
No control on the borders BG-RO and RO-H.
What about BG-GR?

Old July 13th, 2015, 07:53 PM   #13266
Verso
Islander

As I said, control would stay there.
Old July 14th, 2015, 12:10 AM   #13267
volodaaaa

Quote:
As I said, control would stay there.
But why? Do you want to exclude Mediterranean countries from Schengenland?

Old July 14th, 2015, 01:14 AM   #13268
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
I think the problem with Verso's plan is that it ignores the one huge elephant in the room that no-one is talking about - the possibility for Romanian Roma to cross borders freely. From everything I've read, there are no technical reasons why Romania couldn't join Schengen tomorrow (Bulgaria is still a mess with corruption/etc) - but with confidence in the EU being so low, I don't think anyone wants to take responsibility for opening the door.

What I'd like to see at least is some sort of semi-Schengen being implemented. The border would still only be able to be crossed at set points, but physical controls would be conducted on a sort of "drive slowly, stop if directed" basis.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 01:20 AM   #13269
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

But surely Romanian Roma can cross the border freely, they are EU citizens. I mean they have to show their ID but can they be denied entry?
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 01:44 AM   #13270
Verso
Islander

Exactly, Romanian Roma are EU citizens, so they can already travel freely throughout the EU.

Quote:
Western Europeans don't want to open the GR-BG border because of all those immigrants in Greece, so we can at least open the BG-RO and RO-H borders (not that I care too much about them).
Old July 14th, 2015, 01:46 AM   #13271
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

So your solution is to kick Greece out of Schengen?
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 01:49 AM   #13272
Verso
Islander

Old July 14th, 2015, 01:51 AM   #13273
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

For Greece nothing would change.
It doesn't have any land border with Schengen countries.
Only by air travel one can take advantage of Schengen (not sure if by boat too).
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 02:07 AM   #13274
aubergine72

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
But surely Romanian Roma can cross the border freely, they are EU citizens. I mean they have to show their ID but can they be denied entry?
The ignorance among Europeans is mind-blowing.
aubergine72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 10:53 AM   #13275
pasadia

Likes (Received): 1934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
I think the problem with Verso's plan is that it ignores the one huge elephant in the room that no-one is talking about - the possibility for Romanian Roma to cross borders freely.
As said above, Roumanian Roma can pass the border just as freely as other roumanians (and they have done it already!). The only check is that their papers are valid, and that can be a little tricky because their are still some of them that don't have valid ID's (I don't have a figure, probably something between 10.000 and 50.000). But I really don't think that Schengen is not opening because of them; instead I'm pretty sure that the main reason was (and somehow still is) the level of coruption amongst state oficials. Of course, given the last 2 years, probably we are now in another category, all by ourself, since there are hundreds of penal cases against alllmost any big oficial.

For example, in my (and vinterriket) town are indicted the mayor and also the county council president. And that situation is similar to many other towns.

Last edited by pasadia; July 14th, 2015 at 08:04 PM.
pasadia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 11:33 AM   #13276
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
I think it's more of a theoretical thing - although they can pass freely, there's still the opportunity to check the Schengen Information System in case they're wanted for any crimes. Schengen removes that.

It's just xenophobia, that's all. Romania is really starting to deal with corruption (unlike Bulgaria - where scandal after scandal involving traffic police happens) and really should be in.
Old July 14th, 2015, 03:15 PM   #13277
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Romanians are overrepresented in crime statistics in the Netherlands, especially in fields like shoplifting and pickpocketing. To the average Henk and Ingrid (PVV voters), Romania is a third world country that shouldn't be in the EU. Unfortunately that image is not really improving if you read about arrested 'Romanians with no known residence' all the time.

Opening the borders allows huge opportunities. Not only for law-abiding citizens and companies, but also for criminals.

Crime in the Netherlands has notably decreased over the recent years though, despite Schengen.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 03:37 PM   #13278
Eulanthe

That's my point Chris - Schengen accession for Romania means the right wing parties of Europe will have an excuse to force coalition governments into accepting Danish-style controls while still maintaining the illusion that Schengen is still alive.

To bring this back kind-of on topic, from a technical point of view - I cannot understand why Schengen had to mean the wholescale destruction of border crossings. The Swiss approach at the minute seems to work well, as it allows the border to be monitored without requiring systematic checks or police presence at the border. I haven't read about any problems with what they're doing (nor with what the Norwegians do) - yet it seems that it's a far better solution than the current option.
Old July 14th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #13279
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Is it really required that RO and BG need to join Schengen together? If one of the two fulfills all requirements earlier, why also the other should wait?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

darko06 liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 03:44 PM   #13280
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

I think border between Romania and Bulgaria is at Schengen par, that means not very secured. Only for external border (with Ukraine, Moldova, Serbia) there were big investments for securing.
It was always the plan for them to join together.

But since most of the border is on the Danube, that shouldn't be such a problem.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways