daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2015, 02:04 AM   #13441
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by pai nosso View Post
P.S.: photo taken while i was being stopped by the portuguese police at the border!!
Did they give a reason? Or just a general (random) traffic control?
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2015, 11:12 AM   #13442
pai nosso

Likes (Received): 4050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Did they give a reason? Or just a general (random) traffic control?
They were only stopping portuguese vehicles at the request of the portuguese national survey organization (I.N.E.), that were realizing a survey of how much money the portuguese spend in Spain.

The funny part is that the portuguese drivers when saw the portuguese police and weren`t stopped didn`t care about the situation and began to accelerate away, the spanish drivers when saw the portuguese police almost all of them use their brakes!!
pai nosso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 11:18 AM   #13443
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

spend all your money in spain

Kanadzie liked this post
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 05:15 PM   #13444
pai nosso

Likes (Received): 4050

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITORIA MAN View Post
spend all your money in spain
Filling the gas tank!!
pai nosso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 05:29 PM   #13445
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Say you have gone to hospital or any other services because it is better and nearer. Maybe they improve in that area.....

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 06:23 PM   #13446
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

there are plenty of spanish flags in valença do minho for that reason

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Ra7NdVXMs9...1600/valen.jpg
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 12:25 AM   #13447
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Latest report

I went hunting for the best place to see the meteor shower tonight, and went to the Užljebic (HR) – Ripac (BiH) border crossing. The best place nearby was actually next to the BiH crossing - it's just two small huts and a couple of other huts used for storage, nothing more. It was dark, so I couldn't get a good picture of the place, but it was the kind of place where the border police and Customs were sitting around doing exactly nothing

The HR crossing is also very small (again, two small huts, but bigger than the BiH ones), but they're building a new crossing there too It doesn't look like the new crossing will be very big, however.

Passports were scanned in both directions when entering and leaving BiH, but no other documents were requested. It's true about the scanner problems - it took them about 90 seconds to scan two passports. It seems that Green Cards are no longer routinely asked for upon entry into BiH as well.

Croatia on the other hand was the usual these days - a bored look at the passport and stamps before being handed back. They did ask if I had anything to declare, but that was it. I declared a chair

The return was equally uneventful - another bored look at the passports by the Croatian police, while the BiH police were friendly. We parked up at the border crossing and watched the shooting stars - so it was perfect.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 12:52 AM   #13448
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4004

How many times a year you cross HR-BIH border crossings? Seems like you become expert for those.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 01:28 AM   #13449
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
It was dark, so I couldn't get a good picture of the place, but it was the kind of place where the border police and Customs were sitting around doing exactly nothing
It's right in the middle of nowhere

So, no luck at Martin Brod?
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 02:36 PM   #13450
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
It's right in the middle of nowhere

So, no luck at Martin Brod?
It's amazing! I want a job there, it seemed that they were doing nothing but drinking coffee and sitting around! It's a strange border on the BiH side though - three lanes are available in each direction, yet obviously traffic levels don't justify anything other than two small huts.

I've given up and decided to go to Novi Grad instead, as there's the possibility of some new stamps there It's too hot to do anything during the day, and there's no point going to Martin Brod at night.

Alex_ZR - I always end up going to Croatia/Bosnia/Slovenia on holiday, so annoying border guards in this part of the world is part of the holiday

Something else - I've got pictures on my wife's phone to upload, but I also visited the BiH side of Zeljava Air Base yesterday. No sign of any BiH guards, but the HR guards were around and making it very clear that you shouldn't even think about crossing there.

cinxxx liked this post
Old August 14th, 2015, 12:55 AM   #13451
Eulanthe

Latest report

Sadly, no pictures, but... I recommend that everyone should cross the border at Dvor (HR) / Novi Grad (BiH). It's possibly the funniest border crossing in Europe - the Croatians were sitting in their little huts bored out of their skulls (and barely looked at our passports), while the BiH policeman... well. He was sitting on a nice chair in the sun, playing with his phone and not even bothering to inspect anyone's documents to and from BiH. People were driving up and just flashing their documents on exit (he was sitting next to the entry lane), and he was barely looking at them.

In short, it might as well have been a Schengen crossing for how painfree it was. The BiH Customs guy was sitting around in the shade also doing absolutely nothing (and he wasn't even next to the crossing).

To show how lightly guarded the border was, people were actually swimming across the Una to/from Dvor na Uni - and no-one seemed to care less. It's such a different attitude there compared to the mess at Karasovici or Metkovic - and I'd say much more realistic too. No sign whatsoever of Croatian Customs - their huts were closed up and they were nowhere to be seen.

Sadly, no stamps this time round - the BiH guy didn't even have his stamp, and the HR guys wouldn't stamp my passport

cinxxx liked this post
Old August 14th, 2015, 01:04 AM   #13452
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

This lazy and easygoing attitude doesn't facilitate Croatia Schengen membership.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2015, 01:11 AM   #13453
BL2
I bin a Wiena

Likes (Received): 1542

Quote:
In short, it might as well have been a Schengen crossing for how painfree it was.
alll border crossing were like this before croatia entered EU, now it is just torturing ppl.
BL2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2015, 01:13 AM   #13454
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

A little OT: The area on both sides of the border has a Serb ethnic majority.
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2015, 01:14 AM   #13455
GYN1997

Likes (Received): 148

have Monaco and France ever had a road border post?
or was Monaco always like a neighborhood of Nice?
didn't it share a border with Italy before World War 2?

i'm exploring tiny-country borders in Europe
Andorra is quite visible and blocked by posts and gates
San Marino visible but unimpeded
now I was looking at Monaco while bored at my school
not easy to see the border without labels or street view
GYN1997 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2015, 01:20 AM   #13456
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Andorra has had always stone bounds or so. Borders have been quite clear as far as booth passports remains active (you have less than 1% of possibilites to be require to show it but they exist)

In Monaco... I really wonder the same thing. There are somewhere in Monaco where it is impossible to recognize the exact point when the country starts

but...
https://www.google.es/maps/@43.72693...7i13312!8i6656

right, main Monaco stadium (take the aerial view and guess why it is "not finished"),

left, a little French stadium. Two streets, each one in their country and a little "garden fence" in the bound

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2015, 07:38 PM   #13457
Eulanthe

Monaco - the stadium is built on a car park from memory, so they can't expand it further.

Anyway, latest report

I went to a place called Trzacka Rastela (BiH) near the Izacic border crossing with Croatia, which was one of the weirdest villages I've ever been to. I was taking pictures of the (closed) border crossing there, when some guy started shouting and telling me to go away. The whole village was completely strange...

Anyway, not my pictures (mine will follow), but here's two pictures showing the situation there.

Looking into Croatia

You'll notice actual barbed wire fencing there, which is a bit strange...

Looking into Bosnia

It's a very, very weird place. Everywhere else was really nice in the countryside all over BiH, but that village had a very aggressive and hostile feel to it. I don't know why - I don't photograph anyone or anyone's businesses, just the actual infrastructure.

After that, I went over to Izacic, which was predictably boring. 30 second delay on exit from BiH, but about 10 minutes delay entering BiH. Croatia - again - had bored border police that simply conducted visual checks on our passports. BiH border police were scanning every passport, but again - no requests for Green Cards, registration documents or anything of the sort. Does anyone know if BiH have implemented some deliberate decision not to check them?

volodaaaa, Palance liked this post
Old August 14th, 2015, 08:03 PM   #13458
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

That location could feature in any Stephen King movie
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2015, 11:35 PM   #13459
Eulanthe

The town itself could easily be in such a movie

I've tried to find out about the history of that border crossing, but I can't find anything. There was a Croatian hut with a flag on the Croatian side, and a BiH flag and hut too - so it looks to me like this was yet another border crossing that was open at some point and has been closed, but I can't find out for certain.

(one day, I will learn the local language...)

On related news, it will be opened as an international border crossing later this year apparently
Old August 15th, 2015, 12:03 AM   #13460
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
The town itself could easily be in such a movie

I've tried to find out about the history of that border crossing, but I can't find anything. There was a Croatian hut with a flag on the Croatian side, and a BiH flag and hut too - so it looks to me like this was yet another border crossing that was open at some point and has been closed, but I can't find out for certain.

(one day, I will learn the local language...)

On related news, it will be opened as an international border crossing later this year apparently
That border crossing is closed for some reason. News about possibility of openning that border crossing:

http://www.slobodnaevropa.org/conten.../27179582.html

During the war, river Korana (and HR-BIH border itself) was border line of Republika Srpska Krajina and Muslim enclave territory, until August 1995.

On the Croatian side you can still see ruins of Serbian houses, since Kordunski Ljeskovac was Serbian absoulte majority village until operation Storm in August 1995 (2011 population only 19, in 1991 population 316).
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways