daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 15th, 2015, 03:15 AM   #13461
traveler
BANNED

Likes (Received): 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITORIA MAN View Post
there are plenty of spanish flags in valenša do minho for that reason

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Ra7NdVXMs9...1600/valen.jpg
Man,are you OK and what are you trying to prove with this picture? The town is flying the Spanish flags to protest the Portuguese government's closing of the hospital !

Last edited by traveler; August 18th, 2015 at 05:40 AM.
traveler no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2015, 04:27 PM   #13462
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Border stone Italy-France in Claviere, just 100 m north of the old customs. It is placed on an unpaved road which leads to Plateau des Ba´sses, where there is a chair lift. I am not sure if the road is open to traffic, I don't recall seeing any signs.

Still in Italy, looking towards France:

Looking towards Italy (Claviere):

Closeup of the border stone:

g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2015, 04:42 PM   #13463
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Last night I spent at old border crossing between Slovakia and Hungary (the neglected one). Perfect place to watch stars.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2015, 10:35 AM   #13464
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Last day of exploring, and I've discovered something that I didn't know was there.

https://www.google.pl/maps/@46.26617...2!8i6656?hl=en - it's the old crossing at Macelj (HR) on the D1 state road.

The crossing seems to be abandoned now, and I'm not sure if it was actually in use when the Street View car was there.

Unfortunately, I couldn't go and explore the SLO side as the police were refusing entry to the Slovenian side for some reason.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2015, 12:28 PM   #13465
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

There are no buildings on the Slovenian side and the road is closed right on the border line. You can see it when driving on the "new" road between both border buildings.

The old crossing is closed for sure since opening of the new one in Croatia.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2015, 08:13 PM   #13466
Eulanthe

What I'm trying to work out - it's obvious that it is the old Croatian crossing as it's located directly on the D1, but what about the Slovenian side? It's not at all obvious how the road previously ran - there's a small (closed) bridge in Gruskovje, but it doesn't seem likely that all the traffic would have gone that way. I can't find any pictures or anything at all about the old Gruskovje crossing, so my best guess is that it was rebuilt on the site of the original crossing?

But I wonder - when the A4 is completed to Gruskovje, is it possible that the old Croatian crossing might be reactivated to provde a non-motorway crossing?
Old August 17th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #13467
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
What I'm trying to work out - it's obvious that it is the old Croatian crossing as it's located directly on the D1, but what about the Slovenian side? It's not at all obvious how the road previously ran - there's a small (closed) bridge in Gruskovje, but it doesn't seem likely that all the traffic would have gone that way. I can't find any pictures or anything at all about the old Gruskovje crossing, so my best guess is that it was rebuilt on the site of the original crossing?

But I wonder - when the A4 is completed to Gruskovje, is it possible that the old Croatian crossing might be reactivated to provde a non-motorway crossing?
Slovenian side was exactly at the same place where it is today. that border crossing was build before those 800 metres of motorway between HR and SLO border crossing.

more far in the past (till the late 1990es) the border crossing on Slovenian side was even more inside of Slovenian teritory, on this position

i remember it as the first border crossing that i passed, and that had exit and entrance booths quite far from each other.

Eulanthe liked this post
x-type está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2015, 09:33 PM   #13468
BL2
I bin a Wiena

Likes (Received): 1555

On SLovenian side this was the old crossing, until 2000 and 3-4-5, I am not quite sure when they opened new crossing.

Eulanthe liked this post
BL2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2015, 01:16 PM   #13469
Eulanthe

Now it makes sense! I was always wondering why there was a random "Travel Free" shop located well before the border crossing - but I guess this was actually a duty free shop located after the border crossing in previous times? From what I remember, Slovenia had land duty free shops until 2001.

I found that the new Gruskovje crossing opened in April 2004, just before EU entry.

==

On a related topic - I've found something very interesting.

https://books.google.pl/books?id=srj...border&f=false

I don't know if the link will work, but if it does, look at page 35. It says that Croatia had 108 (!) border crossings with BiH in late 1990's - so I'm guessing this explains why I keep finding places with what appears to be abandoned border crossings?
Old August 18th, 2015, 01:41 PM   #13470
BL2
I bin a Wiena

Likes (Received): 1555

108 regular crossings and 1000 irregular. You should really conceder writing research on the topic.

Last edited by BL2; August 18th, 2015 at 01:52 PM.
BL2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2015, 03:17 PM   #13471
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL2 View Post
108 regular crossings and 1000 irregular. You should really conceder writing research on the topic.
I'm already thinking about trying to document the SLO-HR crossings (especially the unofficial ones that were destroyed in 2007) and HR-BiH ones, but it would probably involve spending the entire summer in the region to do so. From what I know, there's still a lot of irregular crossings that can be used in Hercegovina relatively freely.

But I still think the Croatian policy towards BiH and border crossings is utterly criminal. You can see in many places that there should be small crossings opened to EU+BiH citizens, but Croatia seems to be very reluctant to consider new ones. The model was already used in PL, CZ and SK where many crossings were open for pedestrians and bicycle traffic during daylight opening hours, even with Germany in Schengen.

Last edited by Eulanthe; August 18th, 2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old August 19th, 2015, 02:48 AM   #13472
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
GruÜkovje/Macelj is already a motorway border crossing (Croatian A2).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 11:10 PM   #13473
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
GruÜkovje/Macelj is already a motorway border crossing (Croatian A2).
I could swear that there are "end of motorway" signs before the border crossing in Macelj, but I can't find them now on Google Maps :/
Old August 20th, 2015, 12:24 AM   #13474
Verso
Islander

Me neither, but in the first interchange after the border there're signs for start and end of motorway.
Old August 20th, 2015, 06:44 PM   #13475
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

At busy crossing, pedestrians need passports to enter Mexico

Aug 20, 9:23 AM EDT

AT BUSY CROSSING PEDESTRIANS NEED PASSPORTS TO ENTER MEXICO

By ELLIOT SPAGAT
Associated Press

In this Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2015, photo, a man headed into Mexico stops at a fountain as fellow travelers approach the entrance to the Mexico border crossing in San Ysidro, Calif. Starting late Wednesday, Aug. 19, pedestrians going to Tijuana from San Diego at the San Ysidro crossing must choose between a line for Mexicans who get waved through, and a line for foreigners. Foreigners must show a passport, fill out a form and - if staying more than a week - pay for a six-month permit. (AP Photo/Lenny Ignelzi)

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Walking into Mexico at the nation's busiest border crossing with the United States is no longer an uninterrupted stroll for foreigners.

Starting late Wednesday, pedestrians going to Tijuana from San Diego at the San Ysidro crossing must choose between a line for Mexicans who get waved through, and a line for foreigners who must show a passport, fill out a form and - if staying more than a week - pay 322 pesos, or roughly $20, for a six-month permit.

About a dozen foreigners stood in line Wednesday night, directed by English-speaking agents to six inspection booths where they got passports stamped. It took about 10 minutes from start to finish.

Travelers have long followed similar protocol at Mexican airports, but the new border procedure marks a big change at land crossings that weren't designed to question everyone. Pedestrians and motorists have generally entered Mexico unencumbered along the 1,954-mile border with the United States.

"This is about putting our house in order," said Rodulfo Figueroa, Mexico's top immigration official in Baja California state, which includes Tijuana.

The changes, which have been in the works for years, come as Donald Trump has surged to the top of the Republican field in the U.S. presidential race. He has insisted that Mexico sends criminals to the U.S. and pledges to build a border wall at Mexico's expense.

For Mexico, it is a step toward closing an escape route for American criminals who disappear in Mexico. Border inspectors will tap into international criminal databases. Motorists will see no change, and if lines get too long, officials will also wave pedestrians through.

More than 120 Americans expelled from Mexico this year while living in Baja California had arrest warrants in the U.S., according to Figueroa, delegate of the National Migration Institute. Some ordered to leave last year were on the FBI's most-wanted list.

But authorities say benefits extend beyond stopping unwanted visitors. A recent hurricane stranded twice as many Americans in Cabo San Lucas than U.S. authorities thought were there, Figueroa said, and registering as a foreigner would have made it easier to identify those who needed help.

Figueroa said Mexico can initially process about 1,000 foreigners daily, up from about 50 currently.

"If the line becomes clogged up, we will just let everybody through," Figueroa said. "If we can't check everybody, we won't."

Figueroa said San Ysidro is believed to be the first U.S. land crossing to have a separate line for foreigners to show passports and that it will serve as a model for others as they are upgraded. Aurora Vega, a spokeswoman for the National Migration Institute, referred questions to other departments. Officials at the Foreign Relations Department and Mexican Embassy in Washington had no immediate comment.

About 25,000 pedestrians (and 50,000 motorists) cross daily at San Ysidro to work, shop and play but it is unclear how many are foreigners in Mexico. U.S. Customs and Border Protection says about one-third entering San Diego are U.S. citizens, one-third are U.S. legal residents and the rest are from other countries, largely Mexico. An unknown number have dual citizenship or residency in the U.S. and Mexico.

Both countries have long wrestled with logistical hurdles of stopping people going to Mexico by land. The U.S. occasionally stops motorists and pedestrians as they leave - mainly to check for guns and cash - but it doesn't have a system to record exits like at airports, seen by many as a significant shortcoming in border security.

Previous efforts to question more foreigners entering Mexico met resistance in Tijuana, whose economy partly relies on Americans who visit restaurants, beaches, doctors and dentists. Lines to enter the United States at San Ysidro have exceeded four hours.

Roberto Arteaga, who has made tacos, shined shoes and sold tickets for private bus and van rides in Southern California during 28 years as a street vendor near the border crossing, says requiring passports and imposing a fee for longer stays sends the wrong message.

"We should be welcoming," he said during a lull in business Tuesday. "This will hurt Tijuana's economy."

Other crossers said the move was overdue.

"Anything to keep the country safer is much better for everyone," Cynthia Diaz of Oceanside, near San Diego, said as she stood in line to return to the U.S with her niece, who visited Tijuana for a root canal. "It's safer for us on the other side too."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...08-20-09-23-54
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2015, 01:19 AM   #13476
Ale92Milano_SpA
BANNED

Likes (Received): 224

Border Italy-Switzerland

Border Spain-Portugal

Border Spain-France

Border Italy-France

haddockman, SRC_100 liked this post
Ale92Milano_SpA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2015, 05:39 PM   #13477
Nodara95
Georgian Moderator

Likes (Received): 5624

Georgia - Turkey border checkpoint

Tego, BL2, snt3000, WB2010, levaniX and 2 others liked this post
Nodara95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2015, 05:42 PM   #13478
Nodara95
Georgian Moderator

Likes (Received): 5624

border checkpoint

with Russia

with Armenia

with Azerbaijan

Alex_ZR, Corvinus, Moravian, Japanac, Tego and 6 others liked this post
Nodara95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2015, 06:14 PM   #13479
Verso
Islander

Georgia makes art out of its border checkpoints.

Tego, SRC_100 liked this post
Old August 22nd, 2015, 08:08 PM   #13480
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Georgia makes art out of its border checkpoints.
It kinda makes you want all the checkpoints to be like that and not a "military complex" styled checkpoints
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways