daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2015, 01:36 AM   #13481
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Nice Georgian pics...but one question. Booths inside a building are for pedestrian passes?

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2015, 03:39 PM   #13482
eeee.

Likes (Received): 1168

When I crossed the Georgian-Armenian border by bus we all had to get out and walk through the building. I guess if you cross the border on foot you will get there, too.
eeee. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 05:33 PM   #13483
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

They just want to show off their new building

Robi_damian liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 08:53 PM   #13484
Nodara95
Georgian Moderator

Likes (Received): 5624

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Nice Georgian pics...but one question. Booths inside a building are for pedestrian passes?
exactly
Old August 25th, 2015, 08:55 PM   #13485
Nodara95
Georgian Moderator

Likes (Received): 5624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
They just want to show off their new building
border crossings in Georgia look like a little airports. they are full of duty free shops, cafes and stores
Old August 25th, 2015, 10:15 PM   #13486
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodara95 View Post
border crossings in Georgia look like a little airports. they are full of duty free shops, cafes and stores
Duty free shops?. You mean they sell all maximum you may entry without paying taxes?

That's weird... if you buy anything in the duty free shop, it is supposed you cannot consume it until you are in the air (not able to consum in the country).

Old August 25th, 2015, 10:43 PM   #13487
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Duty free shops?. You mean they sell all maximum you may entry without paying taxes?

That's weird... if you buy anything in the duty free shop, it is supposed you cannot consume it until you are in the air (not able to consum in the country).
It is meant to take foreign currency out of the pockets of travelers just leaving the country, instead of letting them spend it in other countries.

Isn't it like this?
Old August 25th, 2015, 10:49 PM   #13488
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodara95 View Post
I kinda like this -it's a way to humanize something that's otherwise alienting, especially considering that Georgia isn't going to enter a Schengen-like agreement anytime soon.

Plus, the state gets some revenue that may pay the cost of border controls.
Old August 25th, 2015, 10:51 PM   #13489
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Sweden/Norway border on E12

Sweden/Norway border on E12 between Tärnaby and Mo i rana. Picture taken by me in July this summer.

riiga, Verso, SRC_100, Alqaszar liked this post
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 11:29 PM   #13490
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:

It's not that weird - duty free shops used to exist between exit controls and the actual border in Slovenia, Bulgaria, Bosnia, Montenegro and the Czech Republic (and possibly Serbia, though I'm not certain) for instance. The USA and Canada still have duty free shops on the land border, too.

What killed them in Europe was the pressure put on by the EU to stop sales on the land borders. But the EU probably doesn't care about Georgia's borders as any thought of EU entry is a long, long way away - so they probably see it as a way to support Georgia financially.

From what I know, the Finnish-Russian border zone is becoming incredibly popular for shopping as well. I've read an article somewhere about how the Russians are selling cheap petrol, cigarettes and booze on their side of the border, while the Finns are selling...well, everything you can't get in Russia right now because of the sanctions.

Last edited by Eulanthe; August 26th, 2015 at 12:06 AM.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 11:51 PM   #13491
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Shopping duty free "near" the border?

I guess Pas de la Casa wins every border

https://www.google.es/maps/@42.54377...8i6656!6m1!1e1

(last border stone AD-F is the building ahead. Left F, right AD). In the surroundins there are many many shops)

Edit... bank offices incluided, just in case you wanna keep your money in an offshore country.

Old August 26th, 2015, 12:07 AM   #13492
Suburbanist
on the road

Andorra is not EU, though it should be I think.
Old August 26th, 2015, 12:18 AM   #13493
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Andorra is not EU, though it should be I think.
That's right but the rest of countries mentioned above aren't too.

BTW, they will never join EU because, partially the same reason Monaco doesn't join. They will cooperate, have good relations (both their State Presidents are Spanish and French indeed) but will not join.

A great part of their economie is based on not following EU rules but their own rules. They will try not to get angry to EU, but always own rules.

As an example... their banking system give them the 10% of incomes....

That's why in Pas de la Casa all Andorran banks have an office. Since ten years ago you can cross by tunnel but before then, coming from France you had to cross the highest pass in the Pyrenees to arrive the capital. They offered offices just in the border, you arrived there, gave the money and back home...

Old August 26th, 2015, 12:22 AM   #13494
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

No no, these shops were always between the "exit" controls and the physical borderline. It came about in places such as the Czech Republic because (during Communism) - physical controls were never located next to the border line. So there was a huge amount of empty space post-1989 - which turned into ideal locations for shops.

https://www.google.pl/maps/search/ex...16.0678569,15z shows it quite well. Look just below the Chvalovice - Hate name and you'll see the site of the old CZ border crossing. There's the huge Excalibur City shopping complex just south of there (so after the CZ exit control) and the physical border line. That place was absolutely rammed full of legal and illegal things tax-free before the Czech Republic joined the EU.

(if you haven't seen it before, Excalibur City is worth a look on Street View, it's a work of art in terms of "unbelievably kitsch border shopping")
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 12:31 AM   #13495
Suburbanist
on the road

Excalibur City looks like a theme park.
Old August 26th, 2015, 12:42 AM   #13496
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
It's not that weird - duty free shops used to exist between exit controls and the actual border in Slovenia, Bulgaria, Bosnia, Montenegro and the Czech Republic (and possibly Serbia, though I'm not certain) for instance. The USA and Canada still have duty free shops on the land border, too.

What killed them in Europe was the pressure put on by the EU to stop sales on the land borders. But the EU probably doesn't care about Georgia's borders as any thought of EU entry is a long, long way away - so they probably see it as a way to support Georgia financially.

From what I know, the Finnish-Russian border zone is becoming incredibly popular for shopping as well. I've read an article somewhere about how the Russians are selling cheap petrol, cigarettes and booze on their side of the border, while the Finns are selling...well, everything you can't get in Russia right now because of the sanctions.
The USA-Canada duty free shops are only for exiting travellers though and are pretty strictly regulated (you need to give your license plate number, etc) Usually you can't access the country again after leaving (i.e. on the motorway just before border)
Old August 26th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #13497
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
Sweden/Norway border on E12 between Tärnaby and Mo i rana. Picture taken by me in July this summer.
"Mo i Rana" sounds Albanian.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 01:00 AM   #13498
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
"Mo i Rana" sounds Albanian.
Rana = frog in Italian
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 01:10 AM   #13499
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Rana = wound in Slovenian.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 01:20 AM   #13500
Suburbanist
on the road

Speaking of duty-free purchases, Italy has this small issue with the Livigno area, which enjoys exemption of several taxes. Fuel is much cheaper there. There is an "internal customs post" here on SS301

Tags
highways, motorways