daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 27th, 2015, 03:00 PM   #13781
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
But if I close this thread, it will just spill over into the Roadside Rest Area - or worse, clog up the country threads.
That's why I started the "Schengen Area" threat. It was closed for an unjustified reason. The same reason applies to this thread. I'd like to have reopened the "Schengen Area" thread again and move the discussion there.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2015, 03:07 PM   #13782
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

I don't want to talk about politics, but... what is the interest of Hungary in building a wall along the Slovenian border? If an illegal immigrant would cross that border, he'll do it in H -> SLO direction, so why Hungary is interested in preventing illegal immigrants to leave the country?
Moreover, while H-SRB and H-RO border fences could have been justified with the task of controlling the outer Schengen border (as mandated by EU laws), the H-SLO border fence is a plain outrage to EU laws.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 03:12 PM   #13783
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
That's why I started the "Schengen Area" threat. It was closed for an unjustified reason. The same reason applies to this thread. I'd like to have reopened the "Schengen Area" thread again and move the discussion there.
We could reopen this thread in the Skybar, since it's not strictly road-related. Posts about Schengen can continue to be posted in the International border crossing thread, as long that they are about road traffic across borders.
Posts about Schengen applied to rail, air or sea traffic or about the Schengen agreement in general, should better stay outside the H&A section.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old September 27th, 2015, 03:27 PM   #13784
MichiH

Do it.

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old September 27th, 2015, 03:44 PM   #13785
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Discussion about refugees and general European policy does not belong in this forum. This forum is about road infrastructure, not migration, Merkel's position on refugees, border fences, etc.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Verso, riiga, OulaL, Alqaszar liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 03:48 PM   #13786
MichiH

But it affects to roads if border crossings are closed.

Old September 27th, 2015, 04:35 PM   #13787
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I don't want to talk about politics, but... what is the interest of Hungary in building a wall along the Slovenian border? If an illegal immigrant would cross that border, he'll do it in H -> SLO direction, so why Hungary is interested in preventing illegal immigrants to leave the country?
Moreover, while H-SRB and H-RO border fences could have been justified with the task of controlling the outer Schengen border (as mandated by EU laws), the H-SLO border fence is a plain outrage to EU laws.
I said it elsewhere - Schengen doesn't stop Hungary (or anyone else) building a fence on the border. What it does is require border crossings to be free from control (or in their language, "obstructions"). So Hungary can have the entire border fenced if they want - but they cannot physically control the border crossings that exist. So if Hungary wants, they can close all the roads leading to the SLO border and fence it off - and it's legal. What wouldn't be legal is to have roads with permanent controls.

I don't think anyone envisioned anyone building barriers post-Schengen, but there's nothing stopping them from doing so.

edit : I've looked at the Schengen Borders Code, and it claims that the border may be crossed at any point. Could be fun where gardens stretch across borders...
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #13788
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

So for a change, let's show a border from outside Europe: this is Lebombo border post between South Africa and Moçambique. As we see from the news report, border closures and aggressive mobs are not limited to Europe's migrant route:

Quote:
The border post between South Africa and Mozambique has been closed until further notice Friday after an unruly mob barricaded the N4 near Ressano Garcia, targeting trucks with South African registration numbers.
http://www.timeslive.co.za/africa/20...-in-mozambique

DanielFigFoz liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 12:02 AM   #13789
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
I said it elsewhere - Schengen doesn't stop Hungary (or anyone else) building a fence on the border. What it does is require border crossings to be free from control (or in their language, "obstructions"). So Hungary can have the entire border fenced if they want - but they cannot physically control the border crossings that exist. So if Hungary wants, they can close all the roads leading to the SLO border and fence it off - and it's legal. What wouldn't be legal is to have roads with permanent controls.

I don't think anyone envisioned anyone building barriers post-Schengen, but there's nothing stopping them from doing so.

edit : I've looked at the Schengen Borders Code, and it claims that the border may be crossed at any point. Could be fun where gardens stretch across borders...
I guess it anticipates the "unless stated otherwise" rule. You can't break into private property just because there is a border line identical with property territory.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 12:06 AM   #13790
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
No. Hungary fears that later on, when H-HR border will be "safe" (i.e. closed for refugees), the Slovenian government will transfer lots of refugees to Hungary, just like the Croatians do it now. Croatian police transports 5-10,000 refugees to Hungary daily.

italystf liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 12:10 AM   #13791
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Discussion about refugees and general European policy does not belong in this forum. This forum is about road infrastructure, not migration, Merkel's position on refugees, border fences, etc.
Right. But people want to discuss about it, and they want to discuss about it with other forum members they know well from other threads. So either you let them do it or you delete a lot of posts and ban a lot of forum members.
Closing a thread which was (even if not fully orderly) dedicated to the topic and then let people ruin another thread discussing that topic, is, in my opinion, not a good idea.

MichiH liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 12:24 AM   #13792
volodaaaa

I might be wrong, but if the discussion about fences along Schengen area internal borders doesn't fit in Schengen Area thread, where it does?

Old September 28th, 2015, 12:33 AM   #13793
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I might be wrong, but if the discussion about fences along Schengen area internal borders doesn't fit in Schengen Area thread, where it does?
How about peeking the subject of this forum? Has someone put fences on highways or autobahns? If yes then the discussion is not off-topic.

As the rather gentle moderator statement expressed, the suitable discussion forum for common politics might reside outside the SSC.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 12:36 AM   #13794
Festin
Changeable constant

Likes (Received): 1458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Right. But people want to discuss about it, and they want to discuss about it with other forum members they know well from other threads. So either you let them do it or you delete a lot of posts and ban a lot of forum members.
Closing a thread which was (even if not fully orderly) dedicated to the topic and then let people ruin another thread discussing that topic, is, in my opinion, not a good idea.
Quote:
Come to DLM:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74

Verso liked this post
Festin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 12:46 AM   #13795
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
How about peeking the subject of this forum? Has someone put fences on highways or autobahns? If yes then the discussion is not off-topic.

As the rather gentle moderator statement expressed, the suitable discussion forum for common politics might reside outside the SSC.
This forum is a perfect source of information. When I drove to CZ last weekend the first site to get information was this forum. I also provided some information for other users in case they follow my route or in case they want to avoid driving through Austria.

Sprinkling this topic with little politics (you actially can't avoid) is not a crime. I saw no hatespeech on this forum at all. Just constructive discussion.

MichiH liked this post
Old September 28th, 2015, 01:30 AM   #13796
italystf

I've just opened this thread in the Domus Ludicrae Maximae:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post127417901

Immigration and custom laws in Europe

Please post here not road-related discussions.
Old September 28th, 2015, 01:41 AM   #13797
Eulanthe

Quote:
I think discussion about fences is ok (we spoke about the old PL-D border fence a few pages back) and discussion about physical security - just not the topic of refugees unless it's directly related to border closures.

An interesting question - has any old border crossing infrastructure been "reactivated"?
Old September 28th, 2015, 10:06 AM   #13798
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

The thread already exists:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1812202
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 08:17 PM   #13799
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

When a border is closed, it is a fact that affects infrastructure, and that is a point worth a discussion right here.

But why it is closed, is a question of politics, and has no relevance regarding infrastructure.

There are countless political forums out there, this just is not one of them.

Eulanthe liked this post
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 11:20 PM   #13800
Eulanthe

Something slightly interesting - I notice that both Norway and Sweden have been significantly beefing up their border crossings.

I'll post more later, but have a look at this - https://www.google.pl/maps/@59.10811...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Tags
highways, motorways