daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2015, 01:41 AM   #13801
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Something slightly interesting - I notice that both Norway and Sweden have been significantly beefing up their border crossings.

I'll post more later, but have a look at this - https://www.google.pl/maps/@59.10811...8i6656!6m1!1e1
It's probably for custom checks, rather than immigration.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2015, 07:23 AM   #13802
MattiG

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
This forum is a perfect source of information. When I drove to CZ last weekend the first site to get information was this forum. I also provided some information for other users in case they follow my route or in case they want to avoid driving through Austria.

Sprinkling this topic with little politics (you actially can't avoid) is not a crime. I saw no hatespeech on this forum at all. Just constructive discussion.
The signal to noise ratio of the recently killed 'Schengen area' thread was low. About 95% of the stuff was just bullshit. Why to spread it everywhere?
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 07:31 AM   #13803
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Exactly. It is good to understand that while Norway is part of the Schengen area, it still is not a member to the EU. The customs operations apply.

The Finnish/Norwegian customs office at Kilpisjärvi on E8 is planned to be rebuilt. The number of transactions well exceed the capacity of the existing setup.

http://www.ely-keskus.fi/documents/1...6-68dc0d37f427
Old September 29th, 2015, 08:49 AM   #13804
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Something slightly interesting - I notice that both Norway and Sweden have been significantly beefing up their border crossings.

I'll post more later, but have a look at this - https://www.google.pl/maps/@59.10811...8i6656!6m1!1e1
In addition to what italystf and MattiG already said, the booths on the opposite side are neither for border nor customs control, but for the bridge toll.

The Google picture is one year old anyway and of course has nothing to do with the recent crisis.

Last edited by OulaL; September 29th, 2015 at 08:55 AM.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 09:58 AM   #13805
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
In addition to what italystf and MattiG already said, the booths on the opposite side are neither for border nor customs control, but for the bridge toll.

The Google picture is one year old anyway and of course has nothing to do with the recent crisis.
The Norwegian/Swedish Customs Controls in Svinesund is located at the exit 1 of E6 on the Norwegian side 2 km to the north of the border.

https://www.google.fi/maps/@59.10501...8i6656!6m1!1e1

The Norwegian customs offices at the borders to Sweden and Finland are joint operations: Either of the two countries are responsible for the real estate, but they are manned by authorities from both countries.

In sparsely populated areas, the customs offices may be contact points for many tasks. For example, the Kilpisjärvi customs office is located in the popular hiking area close to the FIN-S-N tripoint. In addition to the their official duties, the staff gives a lot of guidance to tourists, and rents keys to the wilderness huts in Norway.
Old September 29th, 2015, 12:17 PM   #13806
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 410

Quote:
Yes, it is. But the Norwegian border crossings are being expanded in general.

Look at this one https://www.google.fi/maps/@59.48736...7i13312!8i6656 - it seems small, doesn't it?

But the new station - http://ntsped.com/images/more/orjetollst_med_e18.jpg - is much bigger. It seems that Norway is building new infrastructure that will allow them to divert all traffic through the Customs station - not 24/7, but rather on a random basis.

In comparison, Sweden seems to care far less - https://www.google.fi/maps/@59.50186...7i13312!8i6656
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 03:12 PM   #13807
MattiG

Quote:
Yes, it is. But the Norwegian border crossings are being expanded in general.

Look at this one https://www.google.fi/maps/@59.48736...7i13312!8i6656 - it seems small, doesn't it?

But the new station - http://ntsped.com/images/more/orjetollst_med_e18.jpg - is much bigger. It seems that Norway is building new infrastructure that will allow them to divert all traffic through the Customs station - not 24/7, but rather on a random basis.

In comparison, Sweden seems to care far less - https://www.google.fi/maps/@59.50186...7i13312!8i6656
The Hån customs office of Sweden lies on the old section of E18 and it will be replaced by a new one on E18 close to the border. The new one will be larger than the current one on the Norwegian side.

The Norway/Sweden border really is the outer perimeter of the EU Customs Area. Virtually all cargo traffic stops there. It is rather natural to have an area large enough to host the trucks.

Perhaps you need to find the conspiracy somewhere else.
Old September 29th, 2015, 10:43 PM   #13808
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
The Hån customs office of Sweden lies on the old section of E18 and it will be replaced by a new one on E18 close to the border. The new one will be larger than the current one on the Norwegian side.

The Norway/Sweden border really is the outer perimeter of the EU Customs Area. Virtually all cargo traffic stops there. It is rather natural to have an area large enough to host the trucks.

Perhaps you need to find the conspiracy somewhere else.
What conspiracy theory? It's just an interesting sidenote that Norway is expanding their Customs facilities to modern standards. The design is interesting - they're able to route everyone through the Customs sheds, or they can pull cars in at random - and you can see from Street View that they're completely equipped for doing searches. It's a big difference from the older crossings where the design on the Norwegian/Finnish/Swedish borders were pretty similar.

It has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that it's border infrastructure. No conspiracies here
Old September 30th, 2015, 10:14 PM   #13809
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

It was totally hopeless before on E18, absolutly no space for waiting trucks, creating jams for everybody else, it's been the same on E6 due to shortage of customs staff, trucks would line up for several km before the border - it is better now that staff increased. (Infrastructure is unchanged on E6 since 05.)
Old September 30th, 2015, 11:42 PM   #13810
Eulanthe

For those interested in border infrastructure, you can now see the new infrastructure at La Linea on the Spain/Gibraltar border.

https://www.google.pl/maps/@36.15610...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

It's interesting if you look back to 2008/9 and see how the area has been developed. I'm still trying to find out what the changes are, but Spain appears to have more or less abandoned exit checks while actually strengthening entry controls. In particular, seemingly Spain is now conducting passport checks on everyone that crosses into Spain - which is a dramatic change from how it was when I was there a few months ago.
Old October 1st, 2015, 08:32 AM   #13811
feisibuke

Likes (Received): 191

2015-03-12 drive-lapse from Muang Xay to Puer

http://youtu.be/6qYe345aja0

Laos–China border crossing 20:38–24:58

feisibuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2015, 11:05 PM   #13812
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Yesterday I did a daytrip to Rijeka, Croatia.
At the I-SLO border at Pesek there was no police at all.
At the SLO-HR border at Pasjak controls were regular, no queues or chaos. Since Croatia joined EU in 2013, controls are performed only on the Slovenian side. We give IDs to the police officer, he quickly opened it and looked if photos matched with our faces, gave them back and let us go. It took maybe 20 seconds.
On the way back, we handed our IDs to the officer, but he gave them back to us without even looking at them! I don't think that is legal.
Entering Italy from Slovenia, we didn't see any police again.
Another weekend... another international road trip for me
This time I did a 3-days road trip to Austria, via the A23-A2 border crossing. No controls at all, nor police in sight in both directions. Firstly I visited Graz, beautiful city, then I drove to a village in Burgenland where an acquiatance of me lives. I drove a couple of kilometers into Hungary, through a local border crossing. Again, there was nobody controlling it.
A friend of mine arrived to Vienna from Italy by train a couple of days ago. Vienna station was full of migrants but trains still arrived and departed on time without disruptions for travellers. He wasn't controlled at the border either.
Schengen is not dead yet, and apart some "problematic" crossings on the migrant route where systematic controls, delays and even temporary closures may occur, I guess that international traffic continues like before in 95% of the continent. Hopefully the migrant crisis will only challenge the Schengen system but not destroy it!
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

volodaaaa liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #13813
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by feisibuke View Post
http://youtu.be/6qYe345aja0

Laos–China border crossing 20:38–24:58
amazing stuff! is that your video?
Old October 4th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #13814
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1746

Funny, I was considering a trip to Vienna today

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2015, 09:57 AM   #13815
feisibuke

Likes (Received): 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
amazing stuff! is that your video?
Yes.
feisibuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2015, 12:20 PM   #13816
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

I see that they let them film you the border controls without issues.
Here, everyone will virtue you how "free" we are, but I remember a few years ago, when driving to Poland from Germany/Czech, I had a windshield mounted cam: the Polish border officers were really nasty and paranoids about this, and threaten to confiscate it, sometime even to arrest, often pushed further controls .
I am curious how is it now with this issue on the Outer Schengen border, can you film it while passing it?

Anyway, nice vid . And very chaotic situation on the China-Laos border, where everyone must find his way out to sneak between vehicles and pedestrians, on/off-road .
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2015, 06:50 PM   #13817
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Thanks for the video. I think it is the craziest border recorded here

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2015, 07:53 PM   #13818
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
I am curious how is it now with this issue on the Outer Schengen border, can you film it while passing it?
I recorded numerous times Romania/Hungary border (both ways), at 3 different border crossing and I had no problems.

I also recorded Romania/Serbia border (both ways) without any problems.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2015, 09:26 PM   #13819
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

if I'm not wrong , at least at my "nearest" land checkpoint, it's a security risk to film the internal workings of the checkpoint, so much so there's a signage saying that it's prohibited. But for dashcam , I believe my country's border's authority is quite liberate with it...
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #13820
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by feisibuke View Post
Yes.
can you explain a little bit procedure for Laotians or Chinese for crossing the border? how long does it take, do you need some special documents, visa or something?
sorry for such questions, but this is really cool and exotic to most of the people here

Tags
highways, motorways