daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 12th, 2015, 08:50 AM   #13841
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
San Marino is neither an EU nor a Schengen member. There are no permanent border facilities, and sporadic controls seem to occur very rarely, if any. I have never seen any, nor read about any such experience of others.

At the border there are no border formalities with Italy. However, at the tourist office visitors can purchase souvenir stamps that are officially canceled inside their passports.

San Marino is theoretically speaking a country, but it's less of a national state than other bigger countries. It must be dependant and well integrated with Italy although San Marino is not a member of the EU nor Schengen. Otherwise it would be difficult for the San Marinese people to visit, study and work in Italy, which I presume many of them have to do regularly because a country of 33.000 people can't provide all the necessary public utilities needed for its citizens.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2015, 10:49 AM   #13842
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Let's add Liechtenstein-Switzterland. Border with Austria is keeped by swiss guards indeed.

But looking to other continent, I remember a tripoint African signal and they said you were free to move within two of those countried and forbidden to entry in the last one

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 12:47 PM   #13843
vatse

Likes (Received): 730

Border of Argentina and Chile at Paso de Sico

Border post of Argentina

Border at Paso de Sico

And border post of Chile

All from http://tarmotamming.blogspot.com.ee

Corvinus, keokiracer, los77, SRC_100, michau88 liked this post
vatse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 12:55 PM   #13844
vatse

Likes (Received): 730

Border of Argentina and Chile at Paso Internacional Los Libertadores

The border is inside of 3080 m long tunnel of Cristo Redentor.
The end of tunnel at Chile

There is common border post of Argentina and Chile on Chilean side of border

All from http://tarmotamming.blogspot.com.ee

bogdymol, Eurogue, Corvinus, keokiracer, los77 and 3 others liked this post
vatse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 02:56 PM   #13845
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Let's add Liechtenstein-Switzterland. Border with Austria is keeped by swiss guards indeed.

But looking to other continent, I remember a tripoint African signal and they said you were free to move within two of those countried and forbidden to entry in the last one
It is South Africa - Botswana - Namibia. One can travel freely between South Africa and Botswana because the same national park stretches across the border, but not to Namibia.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 05:57 PM   #13846
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
Just found this, not sure if it's been posted before: https://www.google.es/maps/@46.48218.../data=!3m1!1e3

Well yes, it's a Swiss hydro power plant.

Also, this is one of the very few places in Italy where water does not flow to the Mediterranean.
Old October 12th, 2015, 09:54 PM   #13847
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Palance, thank you for your answers! It's very interesting to see that Gibraltar is now complaining because the frontier has become a proper Schengen border (as it should always have been) - which makes you wonder exactly what they want there. Maybe more pedestrian and car lanes are still needed, but at what point does it become ridiculous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Andorra (goods control but not passport control, and nothing if you go to Os de Civis)

I do not know more cases but would be interesting a list of "relaxed customs"
Alserrod, isn't there at least theoretically passport control? The Spanish police seem to always be present on the Andorran border.

Although something has changed here - https://www.google.pl/maps/@42.43532...2!8i6656?hl=en - the 2011 view shows that it's a police control, but the 2014 version shows that it's now a Customs control.

This is an Andorran entry control, isn't it?

https://www.google.pl/maps/@42.55945...2!8i6656?hl=en

I suppose until recently, the Spain-Gibraltar border was very relaxed. When I passed through in February....

1st crossing on foot (direction Gibraltar) - walked straight through, no controls
2nd crossing on foot (direction Spain) - walked straight through, police present but not controlling, no customs control
3rd crossing on foot (direction Gibraltar) - police present on exit from Spain (and checking randomly), able to walk through on the Gib side (but stopped to ask for a passport stamp), no customs control.
4th crossing on foot (direction Spain) - no controls whatsoever
5th crossing by car (direction Gibraltar) - no exit controls, passport checked by Gibraltar (the wife's Polish passport attracted them)
6th crossing by car (direction Spain) - no controls whatsoever.

With San Marino - it's in a Customs Union with the EU, so there's no real need to control the border. From what I recall, there are some special agreements with San Marino to prevent smuggling - for instance, cigarette production and importation is limited. I suppose the fact that there's no way to enter San Marino from outside of Schengen also helps.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 11:54 PM   #13848
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Alserrod, isn't there at least theoretically passport control? The Spanish police seem to always be present on the Andorran border.
And Andorran police too. They are always ready to "lock" the country if needed. I only remember once when there was a murder. They wanted to know if anyone apart of killer was involved. They locked French and Spanish border for several hours

Quote:
Although something has changed here - https://www.google.pl/maps/@42.43532...2!8i6656?hl=en - the 2011 view shows that it's a police control, but the 2014 version shows that it's now a Customs control.

This is an Andorran entry control, isn't it?

https://www.google.pl/maps/@42.55945...2!8i6656?hl=en

I haven't ever had a passport control and it is not usual. Obviously police remains there but more focused on goods rather than passports

(anyway, let's make a guess... we have had a lot of corruption cases in Spain. Police could catch there anyone going with money to Andorra. There are goods customs for entrance, not for exit)

In the Andorran case, once I was stopped there but just to look what I had in my car, never asked the passport

And... you can have these borders too

https://www.google.es/maps/@42.54639...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.es/maps/@42.49510...7i13312!8i6656

First one, you have no way in Spain, some trekking but nothing else

Second one, you arrive to a small village but surely have to come back to Andorra again. No other way

(both are non-Schengen borders)

Old October 13th, 2015, 12:42 AM   #13849
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Well yes, it's a Swiss hydro power plant.

Also, this is one of the very few places in Italy where water does not flow to the Mediterranean.
The border was straight until 1955, when Italy and Switzerland agreed on a swap of lands to make the dam being fully in Swiss territory.

It's the only place in Italy that flows towards the North Sea (via Rhine). There are three places in Italy (Livigno, San Candido and Tarvisio) that flow towards the Black sea (via Danube).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Highway89 liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2015, 12:53 AM   #13850
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Have a look here

A damn with both sides in Portugal and middle in Spain

https://www.google.es/maps/@39.66261.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old October 13th, 2015, 09:06 AM   #13851
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It's the only place in Italy that flows towards the North Sea (via Rhine). There are three places in Italy (Livigno, San Candido and Tarvisio) that flow towards the Black sea (via Danube).
And even Black Sea flows to the Mediterranean...
Old October 13th, 2015, 10:22 AM   #13852
Vignole
e^(iπ)+1=0

Likes (Received): 479

And Mediterranean Sea to Atlantic Ocean...
Vignole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2015, 04:40 AM   #13853
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Hungary has "closed" the border to Croatia, but does anyone know what this means in practice? The English and Polish media is reporting it as if the border has been physically closed, but HAK (the Croatian Automobile Club) says that all the borders are open. Does it just mean that the border is sealed except at official border crossings?

(please, no discussion about migrants - I only want to know what is happening)
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2015, 09:07 AM   #13854
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Only the green border is clsoed, offical border crossings are open. There are also some tranzit zones for the refugees, there they should register.
Old October 18th, 2015, 11:28 AM   #13855
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Hungary has "closed" the border to Croatia, but does anyone know what this means in practice? The English and Polish media is reporting it as if the border has been physically closed, but HAK (the Croatian Automobile Club) says that all the borders are open. Does it just mean that the border is sealed except at official border crossings?

(please, no discussion about migrants - I only want to know what is happening)
All the official border crossings are open. Border control is slower and extensiver than usual but every one that has the needed documents and does nothing illegal can cross the border at the official border crossing stations.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #13856
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Schengen border

It is the Schengen border crossing. Literally.

We are in Schengen, Luxembourg. Germany and France are both very close.
Közel a határ / In der Nähe der Grenzen by Attila Németh, on Flickr
The actual border is in the middle of a bridge over the river Mosel.
A hídon át Schengenbe / Die Brücke nach Schengen by Attila Németh, on Flickr
The small Luxemburgian town of Schengen
Schengen by Attila Németh, on Flickr
The previously seen bridge is in the center of the picture. On the top is the motorway bridge of A8 (D) - A13 (L). The prohographer (actually it's me) is in Luxembourg, the right side of the image shosw France.
Die Brücke der Mosel / A Mosel hídjai by Attila Németh, on Flickr
From Germany to France. The border is not even signed. Beside that car can be seen the back side of a sign. It is "Bundesrepublik Deutschland", i.e. "Federal Republic of Germany", but in this direction there is no sign of "France".
Richtung Frankreich / A francia határ by Attila Németh, on Flickr
The actual tri-point is in the middle of the river and is not signed.
Hármas határ / Dreiländerecke by Attila Németh, on Flickr

All pictures were taken by me.
Some others from Schengen are here.

MichiH, LMB, piotr71, Festin, WB2010 and 1 others liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2015, 03:12 PM   #13857
timis2

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
The border was straight until 1955, when Italy and Switzerland agreed on a swap of lands to make the dam being fully in Swiss territory.

why?
timis2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2015, 08:05 PM   #13858
Nodara95
Georgian Moderator

Likes (Received): 5624

another border checkpoint opened between Georgia-Turkey border today.

Old October 19th, 2015, 10:48 AM   #13859
CSerpent

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
In first place, I liked the automated passport control for pedestrians: Go to a gate, put your passport be scanned, look into the camera, and if everything is OK, the tourniquet will open and you can pass through.

On the way back, I was refused and had to let my passport checked manually y the Spanish police, who just waived me through.
I was there last week, what surprised me was how relaxed the Guardia Civil were with people with EU passports and little hand baggage. If they saw the maroon cover, they usually just wave you through.

Certain days I got my passport checked coming back into Gib but not every day.

I also had the misfortune of my plane not being able to land in Gib so had to walk through the border, and get soaking wet, to La Línea to get buses to Malaga! Even then, the Guardia Civil were quite relaxed and more interested in workmen with their lunchboxes!

Last edited by CSerpent; October 19th, 2015 at 10:53 AM.
CSerpent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 01:13 PM   #13860
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Maybe because people crossing border everyday has more risk for smuggling

Tags
highways, motorways