daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 25th, 2015, 11:59 AM   #13881
faisalzulkarnaen89
FaisalZulkarnaen

Likes (Received): 205

This is a proposes to change from causeway with swing bridge at Malaysia side. The causeway is remain at Singapore side.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
faisalzulkarnaen89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2015, 06:29 PM   #13882
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
Around 1,500 Syrian refugees have cycled through Russia into Northern Norway in recent months.
- We are now accepting about 50-70 Syrians a day, said Police Chief Stein Hansen told Sky News.
In August, 133 Syrians took off to Norway through the Russian tundra, but rumors of the route have spread. The cause of the refugees crossing the border with bikes is that it is forbidden to cross the border on foot or by taxi.

Interesting that they bought the bicycles because it's illegal to cross the border by foot or by taxi, they're smart and well informed those syrians.

Any other borders in the world you cant pass by foot or taxi ?
No foot, no taxi, but bicycle OK ?

You know... if they are so smart, informed, and frankly have enough determination to ride a bicycle through Russian tundra you should let them stay, they are probably the best kind of people to have in a country
Old October 25th, 2015, 06:37 PM   #13883
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

I saw a German TV report a couple of weeks ago. They take a plane from Moscow to Murmask. They spend the night in an expensive hotel, buy a bicycle and just ride the bike for crossing the border. They throw it away just behind the border crossing. Russia forbid crossing the border by foot. In addition, they cannot take a taxi because the driver would be responsible for the passengers who have no visa.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

NordikNerd, John Maynard liked this post

Last edited by MichiH; October 25th, 2015 at 06:47 PM. Reason: video link added
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 10:29 PM   #13884
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

How were they able to travel by plane without visa?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 10:49 PM   #13885
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Perhaps because it's a domestic flight? (Moskva ->Murmansk)
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 10:51 PM   #13886
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
How were they able to travel by plane without visa?
According to the german reportage they lived and studied for 3 years in Russia, so they probably have student visas.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #13887
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
In addition, they cannot take a taxi because the driver would be responsible for the passengers who have no visa.
Do taxi driver in Russia check visas of their foreign customers?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old October 26th, 2015, 12:24 AM   #13888
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Perhaps because it's a domestic flight? (Moskva ->Murmansk)
Honestly I am surprised in Russia they let "Arab" looking people on the flights without much paperwork hassle... even with bribes...
Old October 26th, 2015, 12:27 AM   #13889
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by faisalzulkarnaen89 View Post
This is a proposes to change from causeway with swing bridge at Malaysia side. The causeway is remain at Singapore side.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
this has already changed , and it's replaced with a less impressive bridge on the land side up to the MY CIQ.
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 12:44 AM   #13890
italystf

Israeli-Arab guy used a paraglider to cross into Syria proper from Golan Height (Syrian territory occupied by Israel since 1967), to join ISIS.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...hters-in-syria
Old October 26th, 2015, 03:15 AM   #13891
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I saw a German TV report a couple of weeks ago. They take a plane from Moscow to Murmask. They spend the night in an expensive hotel, buy a bicycle and just ride the bike for crossing the border. They throw it away just behind the border crossing. Russia forbid crossing the border by foot. In addition, they cannot take a taxi because the driver would be responsible for the passengers who have no visa.
They have so much money to make all that "adventure" trip, but are not ambitious enough to settle in one of the dozens "welcoming" town on the thousands kilometres way "through". Welfare "appeal" is really much more attractive than I thought . In the meantime, EU economic crisis is still striking and hard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Honestly I am surprised in Russia they let "Arab" looking people on the flights without much paperwork hassle... even with bribes...
Russia is a multicultural country and muslims people are part of their country. Furthermore, many former Soviet republics were almost entirely muslim. By the way, current Russian project is to create an Eurasian "union" regrouping Europeans, Asians, Muslims, Budhists, etc...But, apparently many just prefer to go to the very generous "West"

Last edited by John Maynard; October 26th, 2015 at 03:24 AM.
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 03:28 AM   #13892
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
Russia is a multicultural country and muslims people are part of their country. Furthermore, many former Soviet republics were almost entirely muslim. By the way, current Russian project is to create an Eurasian "union" regrouping Europeans, Asians, Muslims, Budhists, etc...But, apparently many just prefer to go to the very generous "West"
Yes but they also keep exploding (e.g. plane bombings in 2004)

But anyway, really, would you stay in Russia if you landed there?
Old October 26th, 2015, 03:36 AM   #13893
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
But anyway, really, would you stay in Russia if you landed there?
At least the can stay relatively safely there and are "welcomed" , not like in the Arabic "Muslim" Gulf countries. But, it's not their goals at all..."Easy way" is almost always chosen by them.
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 04:09 AM   #13894
Kanadzie

It's a lot of work emigrating to another country, starting a new life, etc etc
If you are going to do it, might as well go to a proper country

I mean they need to survive firstly (so go a place without beards chasing them) but need to live also...
Old October 26th, 2015, 10:00 AM   #13895
italystf

Even if Russia is a multicultural country, part of the public opinion is xenofobic towards non-white people, probably more than in Europe or the USA. There are many Russian citizens of Muslim religion, mostly in Chechnya, Dagestan and Tatarstan but their integration hasn't always being peaceful, remember the war against Chechen separatists / terrorists.
Old October 26th, 2015, 12:14 PM   #13896
pyramidxx

Likes (Received): 7

Borders are not anymore existing in Europe... I don't know why somebody needs passport,and other are coming so easy without any documents,name,surname,age??Where is it possible in the world?? This is already nonsense!!! http://www.digitalnewsworld.com/news...-midnight.html 15.000 people in one day?? Is this normal?? It means 450.000 people in one month!!!
pyramidxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 09:33 PM   #13897
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
According to the german reportage they lived and studied for 3 years in Russia, so they probably have student visas.
They have student visas - even elder persons. It's reported that it's not easy for Syrians to get a Russian visa - you need "connections". Most of them seem to be supporters of Assad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Do taxi driver in Russia check visas of their foreign customers?
I think they could be fined by the custom officials. The immigrants can ask for asylum if they cross the border "alone" only.

The hotel room in Murmask costs 200 € per night. They take a taxi to Nikel where they buy the bicycles. The dealer said that they pay at any costs, even 300 €. They just ride the bike for 100m b/n the Russian and the Norwegian border guard.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 10:42 PM   #13898
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

What I've never understood - what's with the ex-USSR countries obsession with not permitting people to walk across the border? It was never an issue post-1989 in other ex-Warsaw Pact countries, and I've even walked across at Horgos/Roszke before.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 11:22 PM   #13899
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
What I've never understood - what's with the ex-USSR countries obsession with not permitting people to walk across the border?
You can't walk across the border, but bicycles are ok, what about skateboard, rollerskates, segway, kickscooter ?

I think I saw people walking across the borderpoint Ivangorod-Narva, there was a certain passage for pedestrians there when I last visited in 1998.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 12:29 AM   #13900
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
You can't walk across the border, but bicycles are ok, what about skateboard, rollerskates, segway, kickscooter ?

I think I saw people walking across the borderpoint Ivangorod-Narva, there was a certain passage for pedestrians there when I last visited in 1998.
The interpretation of the law depends on how much you pay.

Kanadzie liked this post
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways