daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 30th, 2015, 10:30 AM   #13921
eeee.

Likes (Received): 1168

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
Then you have narrow high altitude pass roads that are tolled and terribly expensives for God knows what reason
Because that reduces the traffic in high alpine areas. Sounds like a reason.

legolego liked this post
eeee. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2015, 11:53 AM   #13922
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

Quote:
Then you have narrow high altitude pass roads that are tolled and terribly expensives for God knows what reason
Probably because they are touristic and they want to milk some more money. Not sure if all, but some are also private roads, for example the Großglockner alpine pass.

A similar example is in Germany, in Bavaria, the B999, which actually to be on topic, also enters Austria.
There are no signs for that, but there also no road connections to Austria there.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 01:43 PM   #13923
vatse

Likes (Received): 728

Minor border post between Argentina and Chile at Paso Pircas Negras

Border post of Argentina

The real border at 4164 m

piotr71, Attus, Corvinus, SRC_100, 8166UY and 1 others liked this post
vatse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 10:00 PM   #13924
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeee. View Post
Because that reduces the traffic in high alpine areas. Sounds like a reason.
You might be right that this surely sound like a big "motivator" not to use these roads .
Anyhow, when you see that in fact the main alpine road axis highway are "only" used on average by 8'000 vehicles daily (tunnels mostly) - less than a small's city main street - you can seriously ask yourself what real impact have these small alpine roads paths - which btw., are very abundant and totally free in Switzerland - with "only" a few hundred traffic daily? To "protect" what exactly ?
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 12:14 AM   #13925
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
A similar example is in Germany, in Bavaria, the B999, which actually to be on topic, also enters Austria.
There are no signs for that, but there also no road connections to Austria there.
Location: https://www.google.it/maps/@47.6240595,13.0921828,14.5z
That's interesting, it's one of the few extra-territorial roads in existence, without connections to the other country's network. I wasn't aware of it.
It's the same on OSM, for those who don't trust GM's level of accuracy regard borders.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/47.6242/13.0902
I wonder if the border is visible at least due to border stones, if not signs.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 12:16 AM   #13926
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
You might be right that this surely sound like a big "motivator" not to use these roads .
Anyhow, when you see that in fact the main alpine road axis highway are "only" used on average by 8'000 vehicles daily (tunnels mostly) - less than a small's city main street - you can seriously ask yourself what real impact have these small alpine roads paths - which btw., are very abundant and totally free in Switzerland - with "only" a few hundred traffic daily? To "protect" what exactly ?
"Prevent traffic" is just a politically-acceptable way to collect money from tourists.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 02:45 AM   #13927
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Location: https://www.google.it/maps/@47.6240595,13.0921828,14.5z
That's interesting, it's one of the few extra-territorial roads in existence, without connections to the other country's network. I wasn't aware of it.
It's the same on OSM, for those who don't trust GM's level of accuracy regard borders.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/47.6242/13.0902
I wonder if the border is visible at least due to border stones, if not signs.
Border stones are present on walking path beside the road.
I was there 2 month ago...

bilder hochladen kostenlos
Old November 1st, 2015, 06:46 PM   #13928
Proof Sheet

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Border stones are present on walking path beside the road.
I was there 2 month ago...
Interesting photos..thanks. Any chance of any photos that show the border markings and some of the road so we can see the context of how the road and the border stones relate to one another. Looking at the maps, it seems as though the road crosses the border a number of times before reverting back to being within Germany. Is the border along a height of land that the road traverses across a number of times.

Once again thanks for the photos of a place many of us have never been to.

cinxxx liked this post
Proof Sheet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2015, 06:54 PM   #13929
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

The maximum altitude is 1,570m. Maximum rise is 13%. Construction works began in 1938... Please refer to de.wikipedia.org and wikimapia.org.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2015, 09:22 PM   #13930
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I didn't get to edit that album yet, I am still much behind after my recent travels
I will post a link here with it when I have the pictures up.
Old November 3rd, 2015, 12:38 AM   #13931
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

So here it is
https://www.flickr.com/photos/271083...57660320223600
Old November 4th, 2015, 02:04 AM   #13932
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Someone changed the standard Czech border sings on the border with Poland to signs that bear: "Czech Republic, Here ends the European Union, you are entering the territory of a sovereign state" And they added the Czech coat of arms lion.

Probably the same group also painted "Germany" in Arabic on some signposts directing towards the German border.
http://liberec.idnes.cz/foto.aspx?r=...de_6794_4f.jpg

the "adjusted sign"

the normal sign

CSerpent, piotr71, SRC_100, riiga, TommyLopez and 2 others liked this post
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 08:38 PM   #13933
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

what are the new signs for?

Last edited by SRC_100; November 4th, 2015 at 08:43 PM.
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 08:41 PM   #13934
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

Nationalist?

LMB liked this post
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 02:00 PM   #13935
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRC_100 View Post

what are the new signs for?
Those are not new signs. They are not official. A group of people put them up and replaced the old one to make a political/humorous/nationalist point.

AsHalt liked this post
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2015, 07:14 AM   #13936
Ibroe2k11

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
A reader comment under the article that received 2406 "likes" so far:

And a photo from the scene not shown in the biased, illegals-abetting mainstream media:

Is "desperate refugee" a euphemism for aggressive, lawless continent invaders?
For me, these people are desperate but at the same time they should have respected the laws of the land. Merkel and her administration should not promise anything to these people in the first place.

If my country become Syria in the future (God forbids), I would rather die fighting for my country than fleeing to other countries.

Sisimoto the HUN liked this post
Ibroe2k11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 01:32 PM   #13937
bogdymol
bogdymod

One interesting fact: as far as I know, UK and Republic of Ireland have some short of "Schengen" agreement, so there should be no border controls between this 2 countries.

This week I flew from London to Dublin. After landing on Dublin airport, all passengers (including myself) had to go through passport control. Why?

After exiting the airport I picked up a car and I drove to Northern ireland (part of UK) and there were no kind of controls at the border (just a sign with different speed limit and different road markings).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 02:06 PM   #13938
CSerpent

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
One interesting fact: as far as I know, UK and Republic of Ireland have some short of "Schengen" agreement, so there should be no border controls between this 2 countries.

This week I flew from London to Dublin. After landing on Dublin airport, all passengers (including myself) had to go through passport control. Why?

After exiting the airport I picked up a car and I drove to Northern ireland (part of UK) and there were no kind of controls at the border (just a sign with different speed limit and different road markings).
The UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Republic of Ireland are all part of the Common Travel Area (CTA).

In 1997, the RoI changed their immigration legislation to check traveller ID entering from other parts of the CTA but is generally only enforced at airports and ports.

You also have the hot potato of Northern Ireland and both sides liking to pretend it's not different whilst it still is. Hence, you don't really see any signs welcoming you other than the road and signs marking changes!
CSerpent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #13939
garethni

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSerpent View Post
You also have the hot potato of Northern Ireland and both sides liking to pretend it's not different whilst it still is. Hence, you don't really see any signs welcoming you other than the road and signs marking changes!
There are 'Welcome to Northern Ireland signs' now, though. Some people vandalised them but they are there. There is a list in this article: here
garethni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #13940
bogdymol
bogdymod

Entry into Germany and the Schengen area at München airport:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Palance, cinxxx, Singidunum liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways