daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #13941
pyramidxx

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Entry into Germany and the Schengen area at München airport:

This is valid only for people with passport and documents!! People without passports and any documents are going by train from Greece over Serbia,Croatia and Slovenia to Austria directly...Never ago wasn't so easy to jump over borders in Europe)))))So I must say SCHENGEN NOT EXISTS!!!!

darko06 liked this post
pyramidxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2015, 11:35 AM   #13942
CSerpent

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramidxx View Post
This is valid only for people with passport and documents!! People without passports and any documents are going by train from Greece over Serbia,Croatia and Slovenia to Austria directly...Never ago wasn't so easy to jump over borders in Europe)))))So I must say SCHENGEN NOT EXISTS!!!!
If I'm not mistaken this presents the external Schengen border at (Frankfurt I think?) airport.

Schengen does exist, but land (rail) travel is not as guarded as air/sea travel - especially when it's a point to point within Schengen.
CSerpent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 11:45 PM   #13943
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Both Sweden and Denmark indroduce border control from tomorrow.

Swedish officials say the introduction of temporary border controls will help to register new arrivals and prevent people from staying in the country illegally. This means it would hinder people from transiting through the country to reach neighboring Finland and Norway.

If you do not have the right to reside in Sweden or seeking asylum you will be rejected at the border. The ferry companies will introduce identification checks at the german harbours so no one will be able to board a ferry to Sweden without the proper documents.

Tensions are mounting on the Slovenia-Croatia border after Slovenia started building a fence on disputed territory to stem an influx of migrants.

Slovenian Foreign Minister Karl Erjavec has informed Austrian authorities that the razor-wire fence his country is erecting along the border with Croatia to stem the flow of migrants will be 80 kilometers (50 miles) long, according to the Austrian Press Agency.

Slovenia started erecting the fence Wednesday morning on two locations along its 670-kilometer (400-mile) border with Croatia.
Croatia authorities are claiming that the Slovenian fence has entered Croatian territory in seven locations and want it removed.

darko06 liked this post
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2015, 12:06 AM   #13944
darko06

Likes (Received): 149

Good job, Denmark & Sweden!
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2015, 06:58 AM   #13945
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSerpent View Post
If I'm not mistaken this presents the external Schengen border at (Frankfurt I think?) airport.
Guess/Read again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Entry into Germany and the Schengen area at München airport:

bogdymol liked this post
Palance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2015, 09:50 AM   #13946
CSerpent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
Guess/Read again
Whoops!
Old November 12th, 2015, 12:16 PM   #13947
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1200

France will impose border controls for one month from 30 November for the UN Conference on Climate Change in Paris.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34743783
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 01:34 PM   #13948
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1191

N - RUS border crossing at Storskog near Kirkenes. This is the only (road) crossing between the two countries. Given the "no pedestrian" signs, this must be the Russian side, looking into Norway.

(Src: krone.at)

MichiH, NordikNerd, Moravian liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 02:05 PM   #13949
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

It's almost certainly the Norwegian side judging by the road signs.

GROBIN liked this post
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #13950
haddockman

Likes (Received): 8

https://www.google.bg/maps/place/Sto...2ad570!6m1!1e1

Looks like the Norwegian side.
haddockman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 04:10 PM   #13951
haddockman

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
France will impose border controls for one month from 30 November for the UN Conference on Climate Change in Paris.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34743783
I has a feeling that may be extended indefinitely.
haddockman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #13952
bogdymol
bogdymod

I have planned a week-end trip to Strasbourg for the Christmas Market. The hotel is already booked... but on the other side of the border, in Germany.

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 04:42 PM   #13953
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

No reason why you couldn't go ahead with your plans assuming you possess a valid passport or ID card.

LMB liked this post
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 09:06 PM   #13954
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
N - RUS border crossing at Storskog near Kirkenes. This is the only (road) crossing between the two countries.
Which was once the border between Norway and Soviet Union.

Corvinus, haddockman, riiga, devo, CSerpent and 3 others liked this post
Palance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 09:57 AM   #13955
CSerpent

Quote:
Has anyone got a close up of the blue information sign? I'd quite like to read that.

It seems somewhat odd that this picture actually shows the Iron Curtain but looks not that uninviting compared to the BRD/DDR BRD/CSSR border!
Old November 16th, 2015, 11:40 AM   #13956
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Meanwhile on Ukr-Pol border there is another tension, this time not political but rather economical. The problem is, there are lately too big queues to cross the borders on Krakovets and Shehyni, up to 27 hours. How I passed the border I guess will be curious to hear. Imagine a road in the rich green fields. 12 km before it, I was stuck for 50 mins because a farmer was walking with cows on the E-class road. Coming to it, i was stuck behind 260 cars waiting impatiently to pasds on another side. Here came the guard with special tickets(so you didn't change the car and killed nobody)))). Imagine what? I saw a person(a local) giving 1000 Uah so he came thru. He did.(by the irony the 500 uah bankonote had the person who told that the gold is mud to freedom, but seems freedom is bought by mud). I chose the local border at budomierz and waited 30 cars to pass. Better than 260! I was told after that people were giving 50 zlotych to Ukr border guard to make fast passport comtrol and additional to make fast control of luggage(doesn't help in Poland). I heard too that if you have no green card(insurance), you may get a 750 zlotych fine, of which 150 is for "border existance". In fact it is just a bribe. No wonder Ukr borfers are richer to other parts of Ukraine. That is to pass in 4 instead of 20 hours: a total of 270 zlotych(65€). Corruption on borders will akways exist in Ukraine. And if you had seen those couples of people pushing one another near the passport control!!! Poles don't allow in turn to get up from vehicles unless the customs control checks your luggage. There are a few immigrants illegally crossing the border too. The salaries are 7 times higher in Europe than we have. Locals smuggle electronical appliances, in turn from Ukraine comes a 25% cheaper fuel.
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 06:39 PM   #13957
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

police controls in hendaye(F)-irun(E) border since saturday at the both sides

http://ep00.epimg.net/elpais/imagene...bum_normal.jpg

http://estaticos.elmundo.es/assets/m...4962511357.jpg

http://estaticos.efe.com/efecom/recu...Xs7A-P-3d-P-3d

http://www.diariolibre.com/documents...1114203458.jpg

Alex_ZR, Corvinus, pai nosso, AsHalt liked this post

Last edited by VITORIA MAN; November 16th, 2015 at 06:51 PM.
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 12:33 AM   #13958
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Was it possible to drive into Soviet Union from the West?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 01:57 AM   #13959
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddockman View Post
I has a feeling that may be extended indefinitely.
Only against Belgium
Old November 17th, 2015, 12:01 PM   #13960
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Back in the USSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Was it possible to drive into Soviet Union from the West?
You could drive your private or rented car on soviet roads to many cities, including Moscow, Leningrad, Kiev, Brest, Tallinn, Odessa and Tbilisi, as long as you filed your driving itinerary, through your travel agent, with Intourist and sticked to the route you specified. Intourist designated the hotels you would stay in, though you could make requests. You could camp, at one of the many official campgrounds throughout the Soviet Union, but you must have arranged these stopovers as well.

Intourist restricted driving distances by scheduling overnight stops no more than about 300 miles apart. Once you were traveling, you would understand why. While the roads were relatively good, some comparable to American highways, many main highways were still only two or three lanes. In addition, strict speed limits made 300 miles a respectable day's drive.

The Soviets called the mode of travel auto-tourist when you drove your private or rented car without a guide.

You applied for this kind of travel as long in advance as possible. Back then
(and still?) you should have been aware of poor signage, bumpy roads, drunk drivers, cars driving at night without headlights, corrupt traffic cops.

I drove to St Petersburg twice in 1998, and back then you could still feel the post-soviet atmosphere in Russia, they still had the watchtowers along the rural roads and traffic cops were very grumpy.

You could rent a car in the Soviet Union or drive one into the country from Scandinavia or continental Europe. If you drove in, you had to get all the necessary documents for Soviet travel from the rental agency. You would need a ''green paper,'' which satisfied Soviet ownership and insurance requirements, a license plate of the car's country of origin, plus an identification sticker of that country for the back of the car in case of someone would peel off the sticker for a souvenir. Same thing with windshield wipers, they were usually stolen at night.

source:
Behind the Wheel in the Soviet Union
http://www.nytimes.com/1989/08/27/tr...pagewanted=all
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways