daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2015, 03:23 PM   #13961
Ale92Milano_SpA
BANNED

Likes (Received): 224

Driving from Ayamonte (Spain) to Castro Marim (Portugal) 14.11.2015 Timelapse x4

nick.english.dept liked this post
Ale92Milano_SpA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2015, 05:11 PM   #13962
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

How do the regular border checks work on UA - RU borders? I mean the ones that are not disputable. Is there a form of protest or do the officers even trust each other?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 05:27 PM   #13963
haddockman

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
You could drive your private or rented car on soviet roads to many cities, including Moscow, Leningrad, Kiev, Brest, Tallinn, Odessa and Tbilisi, as long as you filed your driving itinerary, through your travel agent, with Intourist and sticked to the route you specified. Intourist designated the hotels you would stay in, though you could make requests. You could camp, at one of the many official campgrounds throughout the Soviet Union, but you must have arranged these stopovers as well.

Intourist restricted driving distances by scheduling overnight stops no more than about 300 miles apart. Once you were traveling, you would understand why. While the roads were relatively good, some comparable to American highways, many main highways were still only two or three lanes. In addition, strict speed limits made 300 miles a respectable day's drive.

The Soviets called the mode of travel auto-tourist when you drove your private or rented car without a guide.

You applied for this kind of travel as long in advance as possible. Back then
(and still?) you should have been aware of poor signage, bumpy roads, drunk drivers, cars driving at night without headlights, corrupt traffic cops.

I drove to St Petersburg twice in 1998, and back then you could still feel the post-soviet atmosphere in Russia, they still had the watchtowers along the rural roads and traffic cops were very grumpy.

You could rent a car in the Soviet Union or drive one into the country from Scandinavia or continental Europe. If you drove in, you had to get all the necessary documents for Soviet travel from the rental agency. You would need a ''green paper,'' which satisfied Soviet ownership and insurance requirements, a license plate of the car's country of origin, plus an identification sticker of that country for the back of the car in case of someone would peel off the sticker for a souvenir. Same thing with windshield wipers, they were usually stolen at night.

source:
Behind the Wheel in the Soviet Union
http://www.nytimes.com/1989/08/27/tr...pagewanted=all
It is still the case to this day that you have to submit a copy of your vehicle documents, Insurance and a detailed driving itinerary if you want to take your vehicle into the Russian Federation. Not much has changed in that regard.
haddockman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 06:03 PM   #13964
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

impossible to reach france due to the police controls ( irun )

http://www.diariovasco.com/noticias/...a/colas-a8.jpg

VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 07:25 PM   #13965
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

What about the other direction?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 08:02 PM   #13966
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddockman View Post
It is still the case to this day that you have to submit a copy of your vehicle documents, Insurance and a detailed driving itinerary if you want to take your vehicle into the Russian Federation. Not much has changed in that regard.
You need to bring your vehicle documents with you as you also have to do when you go to other countries too. When you apply for a visa, you must declare that you go by car and write down your licenseplate number. Be certain that your insurance is valid in Russia, it's usually not. Detailed driving itinerary is not needed, but if your visa says that you are only going to St Petersburg and you drive in Moscow, the police may ask you questions about where you are going to stay.

Most importantly, if you enter Russia with car, that certain car must exit Russia when you leave. That is if your car is demolished beyond repair in Russia you can't scrap it there, you must arrange transport for your wreck out of Russia. Same thing goes for Turkey.

Remember that in Russia "money talks" this means you can ask the police officer or local bureaucrat:

Можно договорится? and show him some $$$ and he will solve your problem in a heartbeat.

LMB liked this post
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2015, 09:46 AM   #13967
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSerpent View Post
Has anyone got a close up of the blue information sign? I'd quite like to read that.

It seems somewhat odd that this picture actually shows the Iron Curtain but looks not that uninviting compared to the BRD/DDR BRD/CSSR border!

On the soviet/russian side is the border zone and barbwire fence further inland:

Old November 18th, 2015, 10:53 AM   #13968
CSerpent

Likes (Received): 27

Just as uninviting then!

The sign is pretty much the same as the current form it would seem then! The only difference here that I can spot is that Storskog at the time was still an official crossing but obviously restricted by the Soviets anyway.
CSerpent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2015, 10:53 AM   #13969
CSerpent

Likes (Received): 27

Not dissimilar to the current sign nearby either then really!

CSerpent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2015, 11:33 AM   #13970
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

I spot a difference: you may photograph Russian soil, only have to pay attention to restrictions. In Soviet times photography was strictly forbidden.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2015, 12:04 PM   #13971
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
What about the other direction?
no problem
Old November 18th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #13972
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

As far as I have read, Irun queues to approach border are 15 km long

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2015, 01:37 PM   #13973
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

its correct
Old November 18th, 2015, 02:14 PM   #13974
MattiG

Likes (Received): 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post

On the soviet/russian side is the border zone and barbwire fence further inland:
A similar structure is in place at the Finnish/Russian border on the Russian side. In addition, there is a limited-access frontier zone on the Finnish side. Therefore, the actual border line may look rather lightweight:

The border is electronically guarded at least on the Finnish side. Due to the frontier zone, anyone moving there is a potential intruder, and can be detected rather easily.

In addition, there is a about 750 kilometers of reindeer fence in the North preventing the reindeer from crossing the border.

Thus, if someone tries to cross the border somewhere between the checkpoints, there are several challenges:

1) Entering the Russian control zone
2) Crossing the Russian control zone
3) Crossing the actual border line equipped with a fence and an electronic surveillance
4) Crossing the Finnish frontier zone
5) Getting through the reindeer fence
6) Moving away from the uninhabited deserted area

The challenge #6 is not the easiest one.

CSerpent, UnequalSine liked this post

Last edited by MattiG; November 18th, 2015 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Missing picture
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2015, 06:04 PM   #13975
pasadia

Likes (Received): 1934

Long queue have been raported today on most important border crossing between Roumania and Hungaria (Nadlac and Bors). It seems that customs control is severe, for no reason in sight (other than recent terrorist attacks).
pasadia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2015, 09:25 PM   #13976
haddockman

Likes (Received): 8

Same on the Ruse-Giurgiu crossing. An hour or so wait to clear the border each way.
haddockman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2015, 12:14 AM   #13977
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Might this simply be because Hungary is now checking every EU citizen against SIS and not just waving people through like before?

It's only anecdotal evidence, but I've heard that Poland is now systematically scanning all passports on all border crossings as well as conducting detailed Customs checks.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2015, 01:30 AM   #13978
bogdymol
bogdymod

On Tuesday I drove from Austria to Germany. Same standard lazy control at the border. 20 minutes lost. I was not stopped.

I flew from Munchen to London and then back. Just standard controls, nothing special.

Today I drove from Austria to Romania. At Austria/Hungary border I haven't seen any police, on either side.

Entering Romania from Hungary took about 25 minutes. The Hungarian officer just looked in my ID card and car registration, and then he gave the documents to the Romanian officer, who searched something in the computer.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2015, 12:38 PM   #13979
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
On Tuesday I drove from Austria to Germany. Same standard lazy control at the border. 20 minutes lost. I was not stopped.

I flew from Munchen to London and then back. Just standard controls, nothing special.

Today I drove from Austria to Romania. At Austria/Hungary border I haven't seen any police, on either side.

Entering Romania from Hungary took about 25 minutes. The Hungarian officer just looked in my ID card and car registration, and then he gave the documents to the Romanian officer, who searched something in the computer.
In October, when going from Italy there were no controls on IT/A borders and then near German border I exited at Kufstein and entered Germany through a normal road , without controls. On motorways there were queues due to checks. I will do this also this week when going to Italy and return.

Anyway today my friend, who is a truck driver, passed the Mont Blanc and told me no french controls at all at the border.
Old November 21st, 2015, 12:51 PM   #13980
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Edit/Del

Tags
highways, motorways