daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #1381
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

I also thought they indicate speed limits(one arrow - one car, two arows - cars passing each other), but then I saw somewhere in Germany 160/100, so it can't be that.
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #1382
ionutzyankoo

Likes (Received): 27

In Germany there are these signs at bridges and culverts and I understood that these are for military vehicles or smth like that...
ionutzyankoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #1383
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

They are for military purposes indeed and they indicate the tonnage a bridge can carry at the time. So this one can carry 100 tonnes (or two - three heavy tanks).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #1384
Dantiscum

Likes (Received): 383

Those are so called Military Load Class signs (Militärische Lastenklasse), which indicate the maximal weight of military vehicles that can safely pass f.e. a bridge.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milit%C...e_Lastenklasse

Last edited by Dantiscum; February 11th, 2009 at 04:45 PM.
Dantiscum está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #1385
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
Do you have any idea whether this situation/those signs still exist (since both countries are in Schengen now)?
I don't know, but why not? It's still the Slovenian-Italian border. But I suppose they've removed the fence, if they've bothered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
Their being in Schengen doesn't impact whether those signs are there or not. I could imagine that the ITALIA sign is still there while the Slovenes have replaced theirs with a blue EU sign.
I took the photo in 2007, so when we were already in EU, therefore I'm not sure, if anything's changed in that regard.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #1386
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

I hope that I have the time in May to make a short drive on this road. (and make some picturs, of course...)
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #1387
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
OK, but are they in the official list os Swedish signs?
Yep
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #1388
Markowice10

Likes (Received): 69

End of European Union

Two pictures from Polish - Russian border (Kaliningrad Oblast) [Калининградская область]

Border crossing Gronowo (PL) - Mamonovo (RUS) [Мамоново]

Route no. 54 (Gdańsk - Elbląg - Kaliningrad [Калининград])

Closed border on beach: Baltic Sea - Vistula Spit [Балтийская коса]

Markowice10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:26 PM   #1389
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
Still this guy let the drugs dog check me when he saw I was Dutch
When I was coming to Canada in 1994, I had two plastic bags of marjoram, a spice that when dried, may remotely resemble the commonly smoked green plant.

( If you don't know what it is, check here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marjoram )

The officer who was testing the contents of the bag had a definitely disappointed face once she got the negative result .

That held me for more than an hour.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:39 PM   #1390
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantiscum View Post
Those are so called Military Load Class signs (Militärische Lastenklasse), which indicate the maximal weight of military vehicles that can safely pass f.e. a bridge.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milit%C...e_Lastenklasse
This is OT, but you may know:

Do you possibly know what a small blue sign with a white arrow and U+number means on a German highway? U is usually for Umleitung, but Umleitung signs are yellow, not blue.

And another concerning Autobahn: there are some huge white signs with an orange "diamond", and an arrow. Any idea what those are?
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:49 PM   #1391
ChrisZwolle
Road user

blue U-routes are Umleiting routes, but not for roadworks, but permanently posted detours. All motorways have U-routes in case of a vollsperre, and traffic needs to detoured, they can follow the signposted route. They are developing a similar thing in the Netherlands right now.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:51 PM   #1392
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
This is OT, but you may know:

Do you possibly know what a small blue sign with a white arrow and U+number means on a German highway? U is usually for Umleitung, but Umleitung signs are yellow, not blue.

And another concerning Autobahn: there are some huge white signs with an orange "diamond", and an arrow. Any idea what those are?
it really is "umleitung". once i asked the same question here. yellow are probably at budesstraßen, blue at autobahnen. but, frankly, i don't know how it functionate. could somebody explain it? do you have to follow signs with the same U number to make a detour and correctly get back to motorway?
Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:58 PM   #1393
Dantiscum

Likes (Received): 383

yes, exactly, the blue signs:

"Bedarfsumleitung"
indicate permanent "umletung" routes, which can be used in case the motorway is fully blocked. Then you just hear the message on the radio: "the autobahn no. ... is blocked, please use the umleitung U76". They always show a route which leads you to the next junction (back to your motorway).

The yellow signs:

are just temporary common traffic diversion signs on non-motorway-roads which are only used f.e. during some construction works etc. when the road is temporary closed.

The big orange arrow:

"umleitungspfeil"
is used only on the motorways and shows you the alternative route (which f.e. can be used if there's high traffic on your autobahn) but obligatory through an other autobahn, so they are used in the high urbanised areas, such as Ruhrgebegiet or Rhein-Main-Gebiet.
Dantiscum está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 05:53 PM   #1394
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

I have once been diverted with such an orrange arrow from Kreuz Nürnberg-Ost coming from München, since the A3 was totally full ("Überbelastet"). That route took me via the A6 to Heilbronn
Old February 22nd, 2009, 06:01 PM   #1395
ChrisZwolle
Road user

So you had to take the A6-A81 or A6-A5 route from Nürnberg to Frankfurt? That's quite a detour.

I think they should bring the A3 up to six lanes between Frankfurt and Nürnberg. Truck volumes are exploding there because of the growing economies of southeastern Europe. I remember driving on the A3 and see lines of Turkish, Greek, Romanian and Bulgarian trucks.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:38 PM   #1396
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

The A3 between Frankfurt and Nürnberg is horrible. I've only driven there once, and I had 17 kms of jam over there. I remember that stretch to be quite narrow and curvy
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:46 PM   #1397
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

A3 is actually extremely important motorway and it's not surprising me that it is so crowded allways. motorways which are so important from their beginning till ending are actually rare. A3 in D is one of them.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:42 PM   #1398
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

how many hours would be necessary to cross germany on a3 from austrian border till dutch border, on a weekday?
panda80 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:44 PM   #1399
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

GM says 7 hours exactly. I guess it will take you a little longer, because you need to stop and rest as well.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 12:02 AM   #1400
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
GM says 7 hours exactly. I guess it will take you a little longer, because you need to stop and rest as well.
with traffic jams?it's well then...the problem is not about stoping(i'm interested what's the total driving time.btw, i'm going to stop and take a walk in the regensburg city centre for 2-3hours.), but a problem is indeed the fact that i don't want to drive with more than 110km/h because i'm really in a low budget and i'm very interested in keeping fuel consumption as low as possible.
panda80 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways